LaunchBox Community Forums
Lordmonkus

X68000 - Mess Tutorial

Posted (edited)

Isn't there any way to do this disk combination to other computers like Apple 2, Apple 2 gs, PC-98, PC-88, etc...

As incredible as it seems my MAME does not loads any X68000 games in Dim or zip, gives a black screen for 1s and shuts down, so I'm trying in retroarch.

Edited by Imortus.san

If you are getting a black screen and shutting down when using .dim files it could be that you do not have the correct bios or your rom path is set incorrectly. That would the 2 main causes of problems.

Well the rom path is correct, the bios can be the problem but I have already try 3 different bios, just witched some one had converted all the games to hdf.

Did someone tested the CMD file inside a Zip file with the dim files?

1 minute ago, Imortus.san said:

Did someone tested the CMD file inside a Zip file with the dim files?

I haven't tried that so I don't know.

Posted (edited)

Hello again.

You were right the problem with MESS/MAME not launching was the bios, even though it was in place it was not working, it took it's time before I could find one that worked.

After reading this topic from one side to another I choose to use both emulators, MAME and Retroarch, all single disk games and dual disks games along with HDF games went to Retroarch and all 3 disks + went to MAME because in MAME you can choose 4 drives witch is the best for 4 disks + games, and there are a lot of them.

I Did this because I want to have Ziped files so I can spare the HDD space, since Retroarch core does not load any Zip files when you are running the games, it reads the zip files to boot  but then it wont read then because the core search does not support zip files, and MAME read and opens zip files, thats why for 3 disks + games I went to MAME even if its a pain in the ass to search the rest of the disk files to populate the slots, also MAME is going for the last disk inside the zip file when launched from Launchbox, and never for the first disk (strange error) I just reload the correct one along the other 3 disks, making shortcuts inside of MAME folder to jump right to the disks does not work as MAME thinks the shortcut is a file.

In retroarch you can selet the folder were the core search's for the disks, go to the System/Keropi folder and open the config with Notepad ++ and fill in the line_  StartDir=D:\Retro Games\Sharp X68000\Disk\  _it must end in \ or else the search will be always blank, with this you can insert the disks that are not zipped in the core.

Have fun.

Edited by Imortus.san

On 9/5/2017 at 6:50 PM, Lordmonkus said:

Thanks to Neilk1 on Discord he gave us a way to simplify combining double disk images into a single .cmd file. Make a .bat file and put the following text in it.

echo px68k %1 %2 > game.cmd

Drag your 2 disk images onto the bat file and it will out a game.cmd file, then rename it to something to distinguish it like Castlevania.cmd for example. You can then import the .cmd file into LB and load it through Retroarch.

I´m wondering if this bat could work with 3+ disk games... well im going to try 

I doesn't but it should be easily modified to do so, my assumption would be to add a %3 there but I won't say it does for certain.