LaunchBox Community Forums

X68000 - Mess Tutorial

Lordmonkus

Isn't there any way to do this disk combination to other computers like Apple 2, Apple 2 gs, PC-98, PC-88, etc...

As incredible as it seems my MAME does not loads any X68000 games in Dim or zip, gives a black screen for 1s and shuts down, so I'm trying in retroarch.

Edited by Imortus.san

Hello again.

You were right the problem with MESS/MAME not launching was the bios, even though it was in place it was not working, it took it's time before I could find one that worked.

After reading this topic from one side to another I choose to use both emulators, MAME and Retroarch, all single disk games and dual disks games along with HDF games went to Retroarch and all 3 disks + went to MAME because in MAME you can choose 4 drives witch is the best for 4 disks + games, and there are a lot of them.

I Did this because I want to have Ziped files so I can spare the HDD space, since Retroarch core does not load any Zip files when you are running the games, it reads the zip files to boot  but then it wont read then because the core search does not support zip files, and MAME read and opens zip files, thats why for 3 disks + games I went to MAME even if its a pain in the ass to search the rest of the disk files to populate the slots, also MAME is going for the last disk inside the zip file when launched from Launchbox, and never for the first disk (strange error) I just reload the correct one along the other 3 disks, making shortcuts inside of MAME folder to jump right to the disks does not work as MAME thinks the shortcut is a file.

In retroarch you can selet the folder were the core search's for the disks, go to the System/Keropi folder and open the config with Notepad ++ and fill in the line_  StartDir=D:\Retro Games\Sharp X68000\Disk\  _it must end in \ or else the search will be always blank, with this you can insert the disks that are not zipped in the core.

Have fun.

Edited by Imortus.san

• 2 months later...
On 9/5/2017 at 6:50 PM, Lordmonkus said:

Thanks to Neilk1 on Discord he gave us a way to simplify combining double disk images into a single .cmd file. Make a .bat file and put the following text in it.

echo px68k %1 %2 > game.cmd

Drag your 2 disk images onto the bat file and it will out a game.cmd file, then rename it to something to distinguish it like Castlevania.cmd for example. You can then import the .cmd file into LB and load it through Retroarch.

I´m wondering if this bat could work with 3+ disk games... well im going to try 

• 3 months later...
On 9/6/2016 at 7:08 PM, Zombeaver said:

Nice! Thanks!

Still trying to get Munt to work. It seems like it should. In the MIDI tab it's listed in the "out" devices and, when the board is enabled, starting the game prompts to select the device. But all I'm getting after that is silence...

I know my install of it works because I use it all the time for DOS games.

X68k - 3.jpg

Not sure if you're still interested, but I got Munt working with Dracula. So on this options screen, everything is right but under Reset CMD, try switching to LA Synth. THEN, go to the Keyboard tab and under the key mapping, scroll down to #53. It's a couple of Japanese characters I admit I don't understand. On a real x68000 keyboard, it's on the far right next to the HELP key. Map this to whatever you please (I used Right Control). Now when you boot up the game, hold down whatever button you used for key 53 until you reach that sound select screen. Hit the 2 for the Roland sound and...it should work. It worked on mine :) I haven't tried it on any other games yet, but it works on that one...

(I wish I could take credit for this, but I actually just stole it from this guy: https://www.vitorpmach.com/blog/2017/11/19/emulating-the-sharp-x68000-and-the-roland-mt-32)

20 minutes ago, roy1975 said:

Not sure if you're still interested, but I got Munt working with Dracula. So on this options screen, everything is right but under Reset CMD, try switching to LA Synth. THEN, go to the Keyboard tab and under the key mapping, scroll down to #53. It's a couple of Japanese characters I admit I don't understand. On a real x68000 keyboard, it's on the far right next to the HELP key. Map this to whatever you please (I used Right Control). Now when you boot up the game, hold down whatever button you used for key 53 until you reach that sound select screen. Hit the 2 for the Roland sound and...it should work. It worked on mine :) I haven't tried it on any other games yet, but it works on that one...

(I wish I could take credit for this, but I actually just stole it from this guy: https://www.vitorpmach.com/blog/2017/11/19/emulating-the-sharp-x68000-and-the-roland-mt-32)

I generally use the px68k Retroarch core for all my 68k games at this point, but this is good to know. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much Patnam and everyone, got this working with XM6G, multi-disks via the command-line recommended on the first page with:  %romfile% with the page to the 2nd image...

However, how do I do this with 3 disk games?  I noticed you explained a crazy complicated way with MESS to use another program, but what about with XM6?  

Patham,

awesome so after save state is created (presumably once the actual game logo/title is starting), so I actually choose the save state AS THE ROM FILE in LB? Like, replace (A) Rom with that or some other way? Sorry i’m thick! I appreciate your help!

7 minutes ago, Patham said:

Correct. In this case point it to Genocide 2.XM6 and play.

I'm gonna try that with Genocide now....but I noticed with AM6G, for Mugen Senshi Valis II, I had to point the game still to (A), and change my %romfile% line to the SAVE FILE...and it works perfectly...of course it asks me if I was to update my save every time I exit...I say no....would rather not force it to start later in a game if I want to replace it later, etc...but that's really a cool trick!

Three questions for you if you don't mind. You've been so helpful, it's really awesome. :-)

1. Are any of the ALT versions of any games or variations like set 1, set 2, etc... (to your knowledge) essential / worth using over the original ones?
2. Can PAUSING the game be changed to a different key then ESC easily? I want to use a script to force the emulator to exit using ESC if possible...
3. How do you know in otpions / system, what default machine to use? If I have may games, what is the best general setting to have there by default? Obviously I want to max it all out, but I don't want to break most games too, haha.

4 minutes ago, Patham said:

I have no idea about the different versions. I *think* some of them have upgraded music, like the patch for Gradius. I'm really only interested in the great SHMUPS the X6800 has in it's library of games. It's got some great ones that fly under the radar. Those and of course Castlevania.

As far as pausing, don't use it, don't know.

I have my system settings maxed out.

Thanks, how do you exit the emulator, just ALT+F4?

Cool....I have to press ALT+F4 in mine to quit...or at least, that works fine...

One major question: 

When starting games with SAVE files forces me to say YES or NO when quitting game to save over that state....with XM6G....is there any way to have it NOT ask that when I exit?  I'd rather create another save state per game then risk overwriting my launch one...

Also, I'm kind of lost setting up my Xbox 360 gamepad with XM6G for games requiring more than 2-3 buttons.  (EXAMPLE: Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition)...does anyone have experience with the right settings for this, can't seem to figure it out on the controller / input settings area...thanks if you can help!