LaunchBox Community Forums

voice rec makes pc hang

orac31

@Jason Carr if you need anything at all from me that would help make launch box better im all in ... like i said i still have a bunch of other systems to add but i can upload my current xml to a file sharer so you can test it out if youd like an extreme case to work with . Gmail wouldnt allow me to email such a large file lol

here check it out its what ive been able to accomplish thus far with this great community

MY LAUNCHBOX 6.9 BETA 9 SETUP

• Like 1

OK, so downloaded the beta open launchbox, tools, options, voice configuration, check the "enable voice box" click OK, wait 16 minutes to apply the change!! lol. I'm now waiting for it to launch again to switch back off currently been waiting 8 minutes for launchbox to launch. So sorry Jason no dice here. thanks for trying to find a quick solution though.

So odd. Sigh. So it's taking 16 minutes to load on your system and 5 seconds to load on mine, using the same XML. There's some kind of underlying issue there that is going to be really hard to troubleshoot. At that rate nothing I do will be performant, so we're gonna have to figure out what on earth the problem is. I might have to come up with a debug version or something.

i installed and it hung on clicking ok after option was ticked ... waited for a long time and it crashed now im trying to start from desktop shortcut again. boot up fine but it never searches for the voice on boot so im thinking it crashes while trying to apply and it never actually applies so after boot it just boots as normal without voice enabled ,,, probably preferable to less savvy users so that if it doesnt work it crashes and is still usable after crash lol . I agree with the above ,... its not an absolute need but MAN it looked cool@

Alright, it might be 5 minutes or so for the new update to register, but I just put out another beta guys. Let me know if this does anything to resolve the performance issues if you would.

I am noticing some huge performance differences between different CPUs, which is somewhat surprising. This beta loads the voice recognition in less than 2 seconds on my i7-4770K but it takes around 8 seconds on my laptop's i5-5200U. So apparently it's very CPU intensive and requires some monster hardware. Let me know though if this latest beta makes a significant difference for you guys.

Ok, that took 14 minutes to apply the change that time, so a slight improvement. I had task manager open the whole time and launchbox was consistently using about 30% of my cpu, so not sure if it's a cpu issue Jason. Thanks for looking into it, I'm going to leave it for tonight, it's 12:45am here in England.

Thanks for all your help, i'll check back in the morning.

Error https://imgur.com/gallery/lJ11B

So strange..... so i have two pc's one in the lounge n one in my room. I have cloned my LaunchBox setup from my lounge to my PC in my room as its much easier working on LB when sitting at a desk in my room. Every week on a fri/sat i clone my progress back to my lounge pc...... Sooò anyhow i activated Voice Activation in my room pc and yea it took a few min to activate no biggie and no issues from there on LB n BB launching again fine with Voice Activation on..... BUT..... when i then cloned my "room" setup to my lounge PC then launched LB itwould hang on the voice activation part and give me the error above.... anyhow i did the update on my Room pc n turned off Voice Activation then coppied the updated LB across to my Lounge PC and now its fine.

@Mute64 That error was happening because of the machine not having a microphone attached. However, it should be fixed in beta 11.

@polymorph77 Most likely the 30% thing is just because it's only using one CPU core for the voice recognition initialization. 14 minutes obviously still isn't acceptable so sounds like it's back to the drawing board. Thanks though. :)

Just tested the latest beta.  My collection is just under 24,000 games.  Okaying the options with voice recog on took about 30-45 seconds.  Initializing Voice Recognition on startup only took a few seconds.  Thanks, Jason!

Unfortunately, I still can't get it to hear anything.  Am I missing something?

Edited by donarumo

Thanks guys. Make sure you have the right microphone selected as your default microphone in your audio settings. I'm going to have to add some settings to let you choose and test your microphone because this seems to be a common problem so we'll at least need a way to figure out what's going on.

Also, @donarumo, that is very helpful information. I'm going to make it so you have to restart LaunchBox in order to enable voice recogntion since it seems to be problematic time-wise in initializing it all post-startup.