LaunchBox Community Forums
Zombeaver

FYI: Media File Naming

Removing characters from the end of the filenaming, download Bulk Renaming Utility... I think that's the name. It'll let you do all kinds of filename edits to all your files at once. In this case, remove the last few characters of every filename. Lastly, launchbox has an option to cleanup images, I think under Tools, but I'm not sure what it does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

Hey guys, sorry for bumping up this old thread. I am polishing my collection in terms of db iDs and media, but I am finding out that if my imported games have different words in it, the scraper does not find them automatically.
Do you know if there is a way, or tool or 3rd party app to do a Fuzzy Match? Currently, I am manually entering one by one the games that did not find anything, and removing some title words, so it finds the right ID with the remaining ones.
For example, the last one I did, I had "E.T. and the Cosmic Garden" by name, and did not find anything, but when I removed "E.T." and only left "and the Cosmic Garden", it found the id for "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial and the Cosmic Garden".

Same happens with the accent marks, for example if the game file is named "Asterix", it does not find it, because in the db is stored as "Astérix" with the "é". The same with the Pokémon games.
Any work-around or help will be highly appreciated.

Edited by Kondorito

Is the LB Games database spec published anywhere? Is the file dowloadable or even better extractable via SQL from an LB file on my machine? I am trying to learn how to reconcile roms that are installed to match them to their media to clean things up in my own program. Could use some help here in this thread if anyone has some ideas/comments:

On 4/14/2018 at 10:41 AM, Kondorito said:

Hey guys, sorry for bumping up this old thread. I am polishing my collection in terms of db iDs and media, but I am finding out that if my imported games have different words in it, the scraper does not find them automatically.
Do you know if there is a way, or tool or 3rd party app to do a Fuzzy Match? Currently, I am manually entering one by one the games that did not find anything, and removing some title words, so it finds the right ID with the remaining ones.
For example, the last one I did, I had "E.T. and the Cosmic Garden" by name, and did not find anything, but when I removed "E.T." and only left "and the Cosmic Garden", it found the id for "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial and the Cosmic Garden".

Same happens with the accent marks, for example if the game file is named "Asterix", it does not find it, because in the db is stored as "Astérix" with the "é". The same with the Pokémon games.
Any work-around or help will be highly appreciated.

7 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

Is the LB Games database spec published anywhere? Is the file dowloadable or even better extractable via SQL from an LB file on my machine? I am trying to learn how to reconcile roms that are installed to match them to their media to clean things up in my own program. Could use some help here in this thread if anyone has some ideas/comments:

Neither one of these are actually relevant to the thread. I would encourage you to create your own threads for these, as they're obviously fair questions - just not relevant to the topic here.

For the record @Kondorito the scraper fuzzy matches already, but as you've observed it's not perfect by any means. Things like accent marks are definitely problematic.

Is there a way to store the snaps, banners, box art on a different drive? I am trying to save as much space on my main drive as possible and did not see anywhere that I could chose a directory for the game media assets.

3 hours ago, mviars said:

Is there a way to store the snaps, banners, box art on a different drive? I am trying to save as much space on my main drive as possible and did not see anywhere that I could chose a directory for the game media assets.

In LB, manage the Platforms. Edit the one you want, and you will see the tab with all the directories/paths. 

What about instances where your game-play snaps are all properly named and in the proper folder inside the LB DIR but don't get detected or used? There are random one offs that had their video path auto-assigned properly but nothing that stands out as not formatted correctly?

I'm not sure how to initiate a local media search, or if you can. Removing a platform then starting fresh with it again still does the 99% no videos then the 1% randoms. Theme is setup and works fine when you happen to scroll by one of the randoms. Help would be awesome!

Example platform media:

D:\RetroPC\LaunchBox\Videos\Super Nintendo Entertainment System

I even put a copy inside Theme folder to make sure it wasn't the DIR. D:\RetroPC\LaunchBox\Videos\Super Nintendo Entertainment System\Theme

9l9D27O.png

kW8Den4.png

Edited by cyris69

It might be the -video in the file name. I just changed a bunch of SNES video names adding that in and the videos quite working. Take it out and it works fine.

47 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

It might be the -video in the file name. I just changed a bunch of SNES video names adding that in and the videos quite working. Take it out and it works fine.

Ok, I went through and did that. Do I redo the system or is there another way that doesn't involve re-scraping the images. I guess I'm asking is there a way to have the program refresh the video paths and fill them automatically?

Dont know about that, but if the video files (now with the "- video" text removed) have the same name as the rom files, then they get automatically linked, no need to redo the paths. 

Indeed removing the -video was the trick. Curious, is it trying to interpret that as a CLI attribute possibly? However, thanks for the help and time taken everyone :)

So question does LB/BB have a different naming scheme then naming schemes based on other frontends like HyperSpin? Reason I ask I have all my games in a HyperSpin format and have recently gotten my media setup with LB/BB 9.0. I have lifetime subs to emu movies as well but have noticed some games didn't obtain the media unlike others.

LB doesn't have a set naming scheme although it does work best with No Intro naming.