LaunchBox Community Forums

FYI: Media File Naming

Zombeaver

Removing characters from the end of the filenaming, download Bulk Renaming Utility... I think that's the name. It'll let you do all kinds of filename edits to all your files at once. In this case, remove the last few characters of every filename. Lastly, launchbox has an option to cleanup images, I think under Tools, but I'm not sure what it does.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, sorry for bumping up this old thread. I am polishing my collection in terms of db iDs and media, but I am finding out that if my imported games have different words in it, the scraper does not find them automatically.
Do you know if there is a way, or tool or 3rd party app to do a Fuzzy Match? Currently, I am manually entering one by one the games that did not find anything, and removing some title words, so it finds the right ID with the remaining ones.
For example, the last one I did, I had "E.T. and the Cosmic Garden" by name, and did not find anything, but when I removed "E.T." and only left "and the Cosmic Garden", it found the id for "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial and the Cosmic Garden".

Same happens with the accent marks, for example if the game file is named "Asterix", it does not find it, because in the db is stored as "Astérix" with the "é". The same with the Pokémon games.
Any work-around or help will be highly appreciated.

Edited by Kondorito

• 2 months later...

Is the LB Games database spec published anywhere? Is the file dowloadable or even better extractable via SQL from an LB file on my machine? I am trying to learn how to reconcile roms that are installed to match them to their media to clean things up in my own program. Could use some help here in this thread if anyone has some ideas/comments:

On 4/14/2018 at 10:41 AM, Kondorito said:

Hey guys, sorry for bumping up this old thread. I am polishing my collection in terms of db iDs and media, but I am finding out that if my imported games have different words in it, the scraper does not find them automatically.
Do you know if there is a way, or tool or 3rd party app to do a Fuzzy Match? Currently, I am manually entering one by one the games that did not find anything, and removing some title words, so it finds the right ID with the remaining ones.
For example, the last one I did, I had "E.T. and the Cosmic Garden" by name, and did not find anything, but when I removed "E.T." and only left "and the Cosmic Garden", it found the id for "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial and the Cosmic Garden".

Same happens with the accent marks, for example if the game file is named "Asterix", it does not find it, because in the db is stored as "Astérix" with the "é". The same with the Pokémon games.
Any work-around or help will be highly appreciated.

7 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

Is the LB Games database spec published anywhere? Is the file dowloadable or even better extractable via SQL from an LB file on my machine? I am trying to learn how to reconcile roms that are installed to match them to their media to clean things up in my own program. Could use some help here in this thread if anyone has some ideas/comments:

Neither one of these are actually relevant to the thread. I would encourage you to create your own threads for these, as they're obviously fair questions - just not relevant to the topic here.

For the record @Kondorito the scraper fuzzy matches already, but as you've observed it's not perfect by any means. Things like accent marks are definitely problematic.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, mviars said:

Is there a way to store the snaps, banners, box art on a different drive? I am trying to save as much space on my main drive as possible and did not see anywhere that I could chose a directory for the game media assets.

In LB, manage the Platforms. Edit the one you want, and you will see the tab with all the directories/paths. 

• 3 weeks later...

What about instances where your game-play snaps are all properly named and in the proper folder inside the LB DIR but don't get detected or used? There are random one offs that had their video path auto-assigned properly but nothing that stands out as not formatted correctly?

I'm not sure how to initiate a local media search, or if you can. Removing a platform then starting fresh with it again still does the 99% no videos then the 1% randoms. Theme is setup and works fine when you happen to scroll by one of the randoms. Help would be awesome!

Example platform media:

D:\RetroPC\LaunchBox\Videos\Super Nintendo Entertainment System

I even put a copy inside Theme folder to make sure it wasn't the DIR. D:\RetroPC\LaunchBox\Videos\Super Nintendo Entertainment System\Theme

9l9D27O.png

kW8Den4.png

Edited by cyris69

47 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

It might be the -video in the file name. I just changed a bunch of SNES video names adding that in and the videos quite working. Take it out and it works fine.

Ok, I went through and did that. Do I redo the system or is there another way that doesn't involve re-scraping the images. I guess I'm asking is there a way to have the program refresh the video paths and fill them automatically?

• 2 months later...

So question does LB/BB have a different naming scheme then naming schemes based on other frontends like HyperSpin? Reason I ask I have all my games in a HyperSpin format and have recently gotten my media setup with LB/BB 9.0. I have lifetime subs to emu movies as well but have noticed some games didn't obtain the media unlike others.

• 6 months later...

How are the region subfolders taken into account during matching? I've observed it behaving multiple ways and can't quite nail down the logic behind it. It seems at times to pull from region-specific subfolders, but there also seems to be some sort of fallback mechanism happening, and cases where assets from multiple region subfolders can be pulled.

Some specific examples of "fuzzy logic" behavior observed:

For ColecoVision, "Antarctic Adventure" has region "North America, Europe". However, the Clear Logo is pulled from the "United States" region subfolder.

For 3DO, "Olympic Soccer" has region "North America". The Box Front images are pulled from both the "World" region subfolder, and the main folder.

For 3DO, "Fun 'n Games" has region "North America". The Box Front image is pulled from the "United States" region subfolder, and the one in the "Japan" region subfolder is ignored. Kind of makes sense since United States is in North America. However...

For 3DO, "Super Street Fighter II Turbo" has region "North America". The Box Front image is pulled from the "United States" region subfolder, and the ones in both the "Japan" region subfolder and "Canada" region subfolder are ignored. Even though Canada is also part of North America.

For 3DO, "Road Rash" has region "North America". The 3D Box image is pulled from the "North America" region subfolder, and the one in the main folder is ignored.

What are the rules for determining what region's resources get used and which get ignored?

Edited by DukeRom
Providing examples

• 1 month later...

This isn't directly related but I was having trouble running a 32x game with Picodrive core in Retroarch through Launchbox a minute ago. I tried many things but it kept giving a black screen. I opened it directly with RA and it said Failed to load content. I tried the rom with Fusion and Gens+ emulators. Both worked, so it wasn't a faulty rom. I even tried another rom. Then, ran a command window with Retroarch to see the error messages if any by enabling verbose logging. Part of the log file is below:

[libretro ERROR] Failed to detect ROM/CD image type.
[INFO] Removing temporary content file: D:\isjusgam\Sega gens emulat├Âr\32x\WWF WrestleMania - The Arcade Game (USA).32x.
[ERROR] Failed to load content.

I asked at the RA discord. One person asked if there was a special character in the directory name. I changed "ö" in emulatör to "o" and it worked. I couldn't believe it. Turns out RA doesn't like special characters even if it appears in a directory name hence it appears as "emulat├Âr" in the log.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello, thanks for this post !
I seemed to remember in the update notes some time ago that there was a feature so that when media was downloaded, it would just use the name of the rom, ISO etc. I had been hunting for that in the settings but can't seem to find anything. Just curious if I dreamt that up, and if now, how to access it.

8 hours ago, Zozio said:

Hello, thanks for this post !
I seemed to remember in the update notes some time ago that there was a feature so that when media was downloaded, it would just use the name of the rom, ISO etc. I had been hunting for that in the settings but can't seem to find anything. Just curious if I dreamt that up, and if now, how to access it.

That is not something that has ever been implemented.

• 3 months later...
On 9/7/2016 at 4:05 PM, Zombeaver said:

FF6.jpg - matches the rom file name minus special characters; this will work :) note however that appended numbers (-0#) do not work in this scenario.

Hi! I have a couple of doubts that maybe you can help me with...

Besides the rules that you've laid out, the only one that has been added to name the media is the Launchbox ID, right?

Also, when you talk about matching the rom file name minus the special characters for the rom name... is this just removing everything from the rom name after a bracket?

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, CMOSS said:

Besides the rules that you've laid out, the only one that has been added to name the media is the Launchbox ID, right?

I wasn't aware you could use that. If so, it must be new-ish. I'm not aware of any others.

3 hours ago, CMOSS said:

Also, when you talk about matching the rom file name minus the special characters for the rom name... is this just removing everything from the rom name after a bracket?

Yes, anything after a bracket or parenthesis.

• Thanks 1