LaunchBox Community Forums

Full-screen pdf/manual with SumatraPDF

It took a little investigating to find a pdf viewer that supported both full-screen [upon opening] and a minimal footprint (sorry new Foxit reader versions).
It turns out SumatraPDF does all of this with a few quick settings to set.

Download (installer / portable zip , 32-bit / 64-bit )

I used the portable version. Put it somewhere you don't mind making it's permanent home. Run it once to create the necessary settings config file.

Open the SumatraPDF-settings plain-text config file.

Ensure the following settings are set:

Set Esc key to escape the program

EscToExit = true

Under "FixedPageUI"...  comment out the background line to turn off what is essentially a colored overlay on the pdf

#BackgroundColor = #ffffff

The only way to set the actual background behind the pdf is to set the following. I set a slight gradient but a single black #000000 can be set as well.

GradientColors = #111111 #000000

A single whole page at a time as the default view

DefaultDisplayMode = single page

Set fullscreen as the default

WindowState = 3

Obviously you'll need to set this as your default PDF viewer. 
This isn't tremendously difficult, but I'm sure others are looking for a possible solution to a front-end "hands-off"-ish manual viewing in BigBox. 
Esc is then set for exiting and the arrow keys will change pages. Set these with your controller(s) and your front-end solution should be good until there's a local pdf solution.

Edited by fasm
  • Like 5

I like to use CDDisplayEX as my PDF reader it also is a .cbr and .cbz comic book reader. Unfortunately there is no controller support and dev hasn't replied to my request despite the thread having over 450 views in the last two months. There is a checkbox in the installer that needs to be checked to not install some crapware the dev foolishly decided to bundle with the application but it is totally safe despite that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xBJx said:

Very nice...samutra is open source too...perfert for implementing with lb..what version are you using?...the latest version doesn't seem to have the gradiant option in the settings file.

I'm using the newest version (3.1.2.0). Gradient isn't an option that is in there by default, but it is something you can add yourself.

Edited by fasm

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this a few days ago and figured I'd see if I can't find us a better solution. I hacked up a quick prototype pdf reader, specifically for big box, that opens full screen automatically, has no menus whatsoever, accepts controller and keyboard input and has a configurable escape key/controller sequence. Lemme know if there's any interest, i'll put a bit of shine on it and upload it. @fasm, i'll delete this and post a new thread if you prefer :). Don't want to hijack your thread.

• Like 5

@Charco - we've already discussed that, and it,s a bit too dangerous to do that. There is the possibility that the cursor doesn't get shown again after being hidden, and... well, that would be very bad for launchbox :). Might also get flagged by AV programs as... well, nothing is supposed to change the global cursor like that. 

@spektor56 - It's probably something on Jason's to-do list already, but if it's not, add it to BitBucket :). I'll just make something that patches the problem with duct tape and love for now ;).

Edited by Vlansix
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Vlansix said:

I saw this a few days ago and figured I'd see if I can't find us a better solution. I hacked up a quick prototype pdf reader, specifically for big box, that opens full screen automatically, has no menus whatsoever, accepts controller and keyboard input and has a configurable escape key/controller sequence. Lemme know if there's any interest, i'll put a bit of shine on it and upload it. @fasm, i'll delete this and post a new thread if you prefer :). Don't want to hijack your thread.

I have no problem with it, but it might make more sense to make a new thread for your project as not to muddy the subject of this topic. People won't have to sift through my thread to find your project.

Might I suggest left and right to change pages and up and down to come in and out. Not everyone has two thumbsticks, everyone should at the very least have one means for all 4 directions.

Edited by fasm
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/14/2016 at 9:49 AM, DOS76 said:

I like to use CDDisplayEX as my PDF reader it also is a .cbr and .cbz comic book reader. Unfortunately there is no controller support and dev hasn't replied to my request despite the thread having over 450 views in the last two months. There is a checkbox in the installer that needs to be checked to not install some crapware the dev foolishly decided to bundle with the application but it is totally safe despite that.

This is what I use as well. Works great on my cabinet with arcade controls. Can use the trackball if I need it to do anything special - zoom in/out, etc but joystick navigation seems to be OK on my end with I-pac controller. I don't use gamepads for this function. I'm currently creating a magazines platform using CDisplayEX as the emulator. Already spliced together a video from some Metal Jesus Rocks videos I downloaded and worked them into a platform video. Vids of him flipping through various retro gaming mags with some OCremix background music I added. I would share, but without his Holiness's permission probably best I keep to myself, LOL.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 3:03 PM, Charco said:

Sounds great. I wonder could your code for this and the other app to hide the mouse cursor in Demul be incorporated into a future release? @Jason Carr, could this be possible? Two great additions to the user experience if you ask me.

I use the program here to auto-hide my mouse cursor, so it  might be of interest to you.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/autohidemousecursor-hide-the-mouse-cursor/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/19/2016 at 3:50 PM, Vlansix said:

Cool. I'll need a few days as I've got a few things on the go right now, but i'll put some shine on the prototype and put it up. What I'm thinking is - Left thumbstick = scroll / pan, right thumbstick = zoom in/out, and then configurable exit key.

Did you ever upload this anywhere? I'm definitely interested in this.

On 12/09/2016 at 3:03 PM, fasm said:

It took a little investigating to find a pdf viewer that supported both full-screen [upon opening] and a minimal footprint (sorry new Foxit reader versions).
It turns out SumatraPDF does all of this with a few quick settings to set.

Download (installer / portable zip , 32-bit / 64-bit )

I used the portable version. Put it somewhere you don't mind making it's permanent home. Run it once to create the necessary settings config file.

Open the SumatraPDF-settings plain-text config file.

Ensure the following settings are set:

Set Esc key to escape the program

EscToExit = true

Under "FixedPageUI"...  comment out the background line to turn off what is essentially a colored overlay on the pdf

#BackgroundColor = #ffffff

The only way to set the actual background behind the pdf is to set the following. I set a slight gradient but a single black #000000 can be set as well.

GradientColors = #111111 #000000

A single whole page at a time as the default view

DefaultDisplayMode = single page

Set fullscreen as the default

WindowState = 3

Obviously you'll need to set this as your default PDF viewer. 
This isn't tremendously difficult, but I'm sure others are looking for a possible solution to a front-end "hands-off"-ish manual viewing in BigBox. 
Esc is then set for exiting and the arrow keys will change pages. Set these with your controller(s) and your front-end solution should be good until there's a local pdf solution.

I also have a fullscreen pdf viewer program installed.... so when i open my PDF's they open in fullscreen i can then zoom in,turn pages and exit with my controller as i have a controller compainion profile for the viewer... its definitely a nice touch to big box.

Here it is.

http://www.cdisplayex.com

Edited by Mute64