LaunchBox Community Forums

We really need better quality cover sources...

Khenemet Heru

On 9/20/2016 at 8:48 AM, DOS76 said:

The mods of the DB have been posting about issues the DB needs some work invested into it before we need even more moderators than we currently need.

Huh? I'm not sure what you mean. There's definitely some stuff that could use some adjustment but I'm not sure why that would have any impact on the need for moderators. Stuff usually takes a day or two to get fully accepted through the moderation queue currently.

I moderate for the DB as well.

Could be, yeah. If anything that's even more reason to get more people doing it though. The more people involved, the less workload each individual has.

It is a time-consuming process, I won't lie. I spent a couple hours yesterday submitting and moderating and I got through less than I would have hoped for during that time.

Honestly at times I wonder if it was a good thing to pull in what they could from GamesDB as there's so much bad info, images etc. and replacing them one at a time slows it down. When it's a brand new game that's not existing in the database it's much easier though as it can be submitted all at once and approve all at once.

I was able to get Famicom Disk System done much more quickly due to adding brand new game process. Been slowly going through NES and Famicom but it's a real slog unfortunately.

• Like 2

I mean, it's just a matter of doing it one by one. It's just a time commitment more than anything.

I added the Atari 2600/7800 clear logos from Hyperspin a week or so ago, and it was really just a matter of one after another after another after another....

(although I also spent an hour or two re-learning enough Photoshop to do a proper clear logo for Asteroids for the 7800 (for the two people besides myself who ever played that version))

Anyway, my point is that it may seem like there's still a lot of work to be done on the database, but let's not forget what a complete and total fucking train wreck it was when it launched, just FULL of bad data/images/duplicates/invalid games.

Our task won't be easy. We're not Mobygames. We don't have a corporate backer propping us up like GameFAQs. But what we do have are LaunchBox users. And anyone dedicated enough to video games that they needed to set up a frontend to show them off and run them, is the exact kind of person we need. So remember...if you're already here on this forum, debating a video game database's merits/flaws, you're already the right kind of person to help.

/speech

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

If we want to build a better standard of images in our database, some rules need to be put in place. These must include dimensions for example, file size, format etc

The Arcade section of the database needs some consistency, when viewing the whole mame set in LaunchBox, all images look different and in big box, not all games have clear logos. I believe this is where LaunchBox can see some improvements. Instead of copying or doing what HS is doing. I think we can do better than that.. 

Also is there a built in tool to audit and only show Arcade/Mame games that have clear logos?

Edited by Juzzotec

Funny you mention that, after posting I decided to go through and find the best quality artwork for each NES rom  I have and make the front and back box dimensions identical as well as banners where I could make them. I'm just about done and will upload it for everyone later that wants to use it. I won't have time to upload it to the DB though so if someone else wants to do that they are more than welcome. I'd rather spend my time working on other systems in the same capacity instead of uploading. I'd like to eventually put game box descriptions on everything too and could share my XML once that is done. Anyway I am hoping to have the NES images done this week.

• Like 1

Hi @Zombeaver, just wondering do moderator have an option to create new data fields for games? For example if I would like to add more info to a game such as alternate title, or region, media type, etc? Is this something you have control of, or is this something that Jason need to add in order to become available for users submissions?

Also, is there a way to batch upload data in case these new data fields could be added, or it would have to be done individually for each game?

Thanks

15 hours ago, Justified said:

do moderator have an option to create new data fields for games? For example if I would like to add more info to a game such as alternate title, or region, media type, etc? Is this something you have control of, or is this something that Jason need to add in order to become available for users submissions?

They have access to the same fields as any other user - moderators simply approve or deny change requests made by other users. When someone submits a change, it goes into the moderation queue which all moderators can see and then either approve or reject. If enough approvals are received, the changes go through, if enough rejections are received, they don't.

15 hours ago, Justified said:

Also, is there a way to batch upload data in case these new data fields could be added, or it would have to be done individually for each game?

You can submit multiple changes to the same game within one change request (if it's a new entry), but not between multiple games. If it's an existing entry, proposed modifications create a change request per-field.

The kind of changes you're talking about are on the backend, and would need to be enabled by Jason - it's not something that'd be possible simply by being a moderator. Alternate titles are on the agenda to be added. Media types and the region for that media already exist as fields in the DB.

Thanks for the info @Zombeaver. I already scrapped a lot of data that would help to improve the GamesDB, @Jason Carr is already aware of this, but I also know his plate is full at the moment with all the development LB and BB have gone through. So I was wondering if there was such a tool that would allow to create and feed data in big batches, so that myself and with the help of other moderators that wanted to participate, could upload and help on that side. Will keep in contact with Jason about it and see if there is a tool available that could be used.

Edited by Justified

Okay here's what I've gotten done with NES. I'll leave it up as long as bandwidth doesn't become an issue, if Jason or someone wants to mass grab and upload these to the DB feel free! -

http://www.gamingalexandria.com/NESBoxes/

Shout out for this goes out to Brolly and others for fine tuning the NES library to include just about everything imaginable outside of translations and rom hacks. And The Cover Project and NintenBox for their scans I was able to resize and use. There are still some missing and quite a few that aren't great quality. (Mainly Euro only released and unlicensed) From me glaning through these are -

Lower Quality -

Action 52
Adan y Eva
Aladdin
Assimilate
Banana Prince
Beauty and the Beast
Booky Man
Bubble Bath Babes
Caltron 6 in 1
Captain Planet & The Planeteers
Castle of Deceit
Championship Rally
Cheetahmen II
Chuck Yeagar's Fighter Combat
Clu Clu Land
Corre Benny
Cosmos Cop
Creatom
Donkey Kong Jr
Duck Maze
El Bloque Mgaico
El Destructor
Formula 1 Sensation
Fun Blaster Park
Galactic Crusader
Gluk the Thunder Warrior
Hot Slots
International Cricket
Jackpot
Kick Off
La Alfombra Magica
La Gran Aventura Submarina
La Guerra del Golfo
Mind Blower Pak
Mission Cobra
Noah's Ark
Operation Secret Storm
Othello (HES)
Over Horizon
Policeman
Quattro Arcade
Racket's & Rivals
Rad Racket - Deluxe Tennis II
Raid 2020
Rainbow Islands - Bubble Bobble 2 (Euro Version)
Road Fighter
Rodland
Secret Scout in the Temple of Demise
Silent Assault
Sudoku
Tanque
Tecmo Cup - Soccer Game
Tecmo World Cup Soccer
The Smurfs
Tiles of Fate
Total Funpak
Trolls in Crazyland
Ultimate Stuntman
Venice Beach Volleyball
Videomation
Wally Bear and the No! Gang

Missing

Dropzone
Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade (Ubisoft)
Joshua & The Battle of Jericho
King Neptune's Adventure
Klash Ball
Menace Beach
Michael Andretti's World GP
Peek a Boo Poker
Robodemons
Spirtual Warfare
Ultimate League Soccer

If anyboody has these and can get them scanned in at 600dpi I'm sure they could be cleaned up and used by someone. I hope all this will be useful for everyone!

• Like 3

On 9/19/2016 at 3:54 PM, lordmonkus said:

What you are running into is a problem for everyone no matter what front end you are talking about.

Either you use something like Hyperspin (or any other front end) and you have to download art from somewhere like Emumovies and rename everything (either the rom files or the art files) to match up exactly to get it to work. Or in the case of Launchbox which at least is more forgiving in the file names and we are working on the database which as you already know is a huge task but it at least semi automates things.

I cannot comment on whether or not hooking into gamefaqs is a viable option or not, maybe @Jason Carrcan shed some more light on to that.

You also have to remember that Launchbox is a one man operation which is Jason. There is no big team of developers or behind the scenes people working on all of this stuff. It's the community that is helping put everything together and it is still a work in progress and probably will be ongoing for quite a long time because of the sheer volume. A prime example right now would be the Amiga section of the database. Because of all the different games and naming conventions used in the files it's tough to even know where to begin to get that into something resembling a usable state.

Anyways, if you want to contribute to the database art you are more than welcome to do so and I am sure it would be greatly appreciated.

man you aren't lying about that damn Amiga .I have about 80% of the box images  that i found on my own and still feel like it never ends , i also have a ton of custom boxes that i made  for LB just to have an image for my LB , just never had time to update and enter it myself for LB database. and im fine that LB doesnt have everything ,and know that its constantly updated .

I do moderation when i can , but sometimes i will come across a game that there are no true quality scans to replace it  ,so there are some that have been put through  just  to have a least have a box or banner .I have learned to appreciate  the self contained community and learned it's not perfect , but it at least we have a lot more people listening and willing to help its improvement  than other alternatives.

Like lordmonkus its 1 guy and a  NICE community working together, if its not there,  someone would try there best to have a viable option  to remedy that issue .