LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame Tutorial for n00bs

Lordmonkus

10 hours ago, NJDave71 said:

I took all my artwork zip files  and moved it and left behind  horizont.zip and vertical.zip

in the ini folder i have

vertical.ini
     fallback_artwork    vertical
horizont.ini
     fallback_artwork    horizont

This uses what ever is inside the horizont.zip or vertical.zip

does that help or answer your question?

Appreciate getting back to me @NJDave71 I did get some time this evening to play around some more and eventually get this working. I just wish I knew what combo of things I was originally doing wrong to not have it work in the first place but it does seem to work as expected (and hoped). I have noticed however that every MVS based game requires me to manually enable the bezel. This is not a huge issue as I would just need to go through and enable it the first time however, just found it odd. Thanks again.

1 minute ago, DaryVary said:

Everything I read about split-set and merged-set mentions a description, but until I see screenshots of their file differences in the zip file, I won't fully grasp the concept.

Can someone help me out? I've searched quite a bit but can't find an answer.

Thanks!

Check the bottom first post in this thread, it has an image to go along with the text description to help explain it.

Ok, i'll try and explain it in super simple terms.

Split: Every game is "split" up, there is one "parent" rom of a game which is the game but for 1 region and all the other regional roms are in their own "clone" which is much smaller. The "clone" rom requires the "parent" rom to run.

Merged: Every game has its "parent" and regional "clones" in a single zip file. You still require bios files though for games that require them. EG: NeoGeo and Capcom CPS2

Non Merged: Every game is in its own self contained zip file, it contains everything required for the game to work. The regional "clone" roms have the "parent" rom included as well as the bios files required.

Hmm - ok. So for example this split set of MK3 has separate files as below. mk3.zip being the parent and the others are clones, but for the clones to run, mk3.zip must be present.

image.png.fb22be1f63ee5a4a7a3866cd725e3708.pngIf this were a merged set, all files would be in one file such as mk3.zip and no need to have separate zip files interdependent on each other.

Did I capture that right?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys.

Finally got round to setting up my Launchbox set up, and also finally attempted Mame! However, it won't launch Mame from within LB which I know has been an issue for a number of people.

I'm currently using the latest Mame 0.201 and a Merged 0.201 rom set.

I followed the opening post with regards to the .ini file, which was to run a cmd prompt and run mame64.exe -cc, which it indeed created in the .ini files in the mame folder.

I've checked launching a Mame rom from Mame standalone, and it launches OK.

What else can I check, as I'm sure I've done everything from the OP.

Thanks

dmn1981

1 hour ago, Lordmonkus said:

Make sure your mame.ini file is located in the main folder where your main mame64.exe is located, the default location of it seems to be put in the \ini folder if you don't generate the mame.ini file first like I describe in the guide.

The ini file is in the main directory as per the OP. I generated the ini file via the cmd prompt using mame64.exe -cc.....

The ini file had already generated when i launched Mame separately, before i found this thread, so i deleted them and followed the OP instructions....

Thoughts? 

Capture.JPG

Is your platform name correct and matching the platform name in the Associated Platforms window of your Mame emulator in LB ?

When you imported your roms did you use the new or old method of importing Mame roms ?

Did you tell LB to move, copy or leave roms where they were ? They should be left where they were.

The mame.ini thing is typically an issue with offshoots of mame like MameUI and Arcade64. Since command line mame generates the ini where is it supposed to be you should not have to do the ini thing mentioned. That being said since you seem to be using command line mame you likely have something disconnected in your Launchbox set-up. 

Go to tools>Edit Emulators and click on the Mame emulator you set up and edit it. Make sure it is pointing to the correct .exe file, make sure you do not have any of the check boxes in the middle of the screen on the first tab checked and then go to Associated Platforms and make sure you have the name of the Arcade platform you imported your roms into listed there and the name matches how you have it named in Launchbox. 

On 9/29/2016 at 2:31 AM, Lordmonkus said:

Now this is all you need to do to have your mame setup and will run as long as your roms and your rom paths have no mistakes. You can do a quick test if you still have your command prompt window open by typing in:
mame64.exe sf2

If your paths and roms are correct this will load up Street Fighter 2: World Warrior.

FYI i followed this test, and it launches fine.....

8 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Is your platform name correct and matching the platform name in the Associated Platforms window of your Mame emulator in LB ?

Yes

When you imported your roms did you use the new or old method of importing Mame roms ?

New Method of import Mame Full romset

Did you tell LB to move, copy or leave roms where they were ? They should be left where they were.

Left where they were (LB on C:, Games on Z:)

10 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

The mame.ini thing is typically an issue with offshoots of mame like MameUI and Arcade64. Since command line mame generates the ini where is it supposed to be you should not have to do the ini thing mentioned. That being said since you seem to be using command line mame you likely have something disconnected in your Launchbox set-up. 

Go to tools>Edit Emulators and click on the Mame emulator you set up and edit it. Make sure it is pointing to the correct .exe file, make sure you do not have any of the check boxes in the middle of the screen on the first tab checked and then go to Associated Platforms and make sure you have the name of the Arcade platform you imported your roms into listed there and the name matches how you have it named in Launchbox. 

Settings as below..Capture.thumb.JPG.7b7435957db4d2600ea0f4c9edddc1d3.JPGCapture2.thumb.JPG.9a73737d8619ac677332a5796a9e268e.JPG