LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame Tutorial for n00bs

Lordmonkus

1 minute ago, Maddoc1007 said:

@Juzzotec In LaunchBox on the right hand side at the top menubar you will see Image Type click on your platform you want to audit, click on Image Type pick clear Logo's, Now holding the Ctrl button on keyboard click on each game you want to remove and when finished right mouse click and then delete.  Make sure that you dont have delete roms set in the LaunchBox Options under General see screenshot otherwise it will delete the roms as well.

Thank you so much, can you do the same for roms with no videos?

Edited by Juzzotec

• 2 weeks later...

gonna get this done now that i have the time. and right of the bat i got unsure so i figured id make sure :) .

from a site no name i see various different from the same upload date.

taking the no updating sets approach what do i get.

MAME 0.178 EXTRAs

MAME 0.178 VideoSnaps

MAME - Update EXTRAs (v0.177 - v0.178)

MAME - Rollback ROMs (v0.178)

MAME 0.178 Software List CHDs (Merged)

MAME 0.178 ROMs 

MAME - Update CHDs (v0.177 to v0.178)

MAME 0.178 Software List ROMs (TZ-Split)

MAME 0.178 Software List ROMs (T7Z-Merged)

MAME 0.178 CHDs (Merged)

MAME 0.178 ROMs (T7Z-Merged)

MAME - Update ROMs (v0.177 to v0.178)

Edited by ALIE

Also you may want the MAME 0.178 CHD's Split also depending on if you want all of that. The CHD file is huge. The Software List and Software List CHD's are all of the ROMs for MESS but as of yet I don't thing Jason has added support for the Software List naming to work in LB

3 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Some games require the CHD or the ROM will not work they are basically discs like media that went into the machines

ok getting that as well then.

LOL  just realized i dont have the space guess i have to run back up of 5TB of wrestling content first.

'll Be Back MAME xD

Edited by ALIE

• 2 weeks later...

I have this thing going on where if I get a new game and put it in a path used by Launcherbox it wont work with mame, I will get a message saying there are files missing, which isnt true because Romcenter verifies them.  I then have to copy and paste the game to the default mame rom path, open mame, run the game once, and then go back into Launcherbox, at which time it will see the game fine and run it.

Any ideas?

5 hours ago, Pattenburg said:

I have this thing going on where if I get a new game and put it in a path used by Launcherbox it wont work with mame, I will get a message saying there are files missing, which isnt true because Romcenter verifies them.  I then have to copy and paste the game to the default mame rom path, open mame, run the game once, and then go back into Launcherbox, at which time it will see the game fine and run it.

Any ideas?

I am not exactly sure what you mean here.

Do you have 2 different folders where you have roms ? If you do then you can put multiple folder locations in your rompath in the mame.ini. Simple separate them with a semi colon, here is an example:
rompath       "roms;x:\path\to\roms1;x:\path]to\roms2"

This example will let you have roms in the default Mame\roms folder and 2 custom paths to roms. You can add more paths if you wish just but adding them and separating with a semi colon. I find this extremely useful for Mess, here is my Mess.ini rom path, it's a bit crazy but it keeps things much more tidy in the rom organization.

rompath                   "roms;E:\Downloaded Games\Emulation\Roms\Mame Full;H:\Emulation\Roms\Atari 5200\;H:\Emulation\Roms\CD-i\;H:\Emulation\Emulators\Mess\roms\;H:\Emulation\Roms\NeoGeo CD\;H:\Emulation\Roms\Coleco Vision\;H:\Emulation\Roms\Atari 7800\;H:\Emulation\Roms\Atari Lynx\;H:\Emulation\Roms\FM-Towns Marty\;H:\Emulation\Roms\NEC PC-98\;H:\Emulation\Roms\Fairchild\"