LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame Tutorial for n00bs

Lordmonkus

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to get mameui64.exe to run on launchbox with the proper effect (i.e. scanlines) that I've configured in mameui64.exe? It removes my scanlines everytime I run it, but when I run it within mame, it works just fine. I'm guessing it must be some kind of command line thing then?

5 minutes ago, maduhbee said:

Is it possible to get mameui64.exe to run on launchbox with the proper effect (i.e. scanlines) that I've configured in mameui64.exe? It removes my scanlines everytime I run it, but when I run it within mame, it works just fine. I'm guessing it must be some kind of command line thing then?

Have you moved the mame.ini out of the ini folder into the root folder? This needs to be done, there is a weird bug with MAMEUI that when games are loaded from command line it doesnt read the .ini from the ini folder, but it reads it fine if its in the root folder.

thanks! That totally worked! I decided to delete everything in the presets folder, and the root ini folder (including mame.ini and ui.ini) and opened up mameui64.exe set my "effect". Exit, then copied both ui.ini and mame.ini to the root "mameui64" folder (along side mameui.ini), and now bigbox works! now I gotta figure out some of the other stuff..... hmm....

Edited by maduhbee
  • Like 1

how do i get games to open through big box and retroarch?

when loading the core in retro, then loading content it plays fine, but when i import a few games to LB and try to open them through their i get the loading game box, and then nothing, it just goes back to hte BB menu.

EDIT: so i downloaded the newest version of mame64bit, and i followed the guide at the begining of this post to try and  play games from the 0.181 set, mame opens fine, but whenever i try to load anything my screens change resolution and then it goes back to windows and i get a bunch of errors (unable to create D3D device, unable to initialize D3D 9, and fatal error unable to initialize window)

EDIT EDIT: switching to opengl fixed this, now everything runs extremely fast though.

Edited by putnamto

19 hours ago, neil9000 said:

The MAME variants dont do anything that the official MAME can't do, screen rotation is available of course.

I'm looking at MAMEui now and it does look like it has the option to set multiple games to portrait... can't remember what other options I liked from MAMEuifx, but I think that was the main thing, so I should be good to go.  Thanks for the help.

when launching a game with mameui64 through LB the game is on the wrong screen, and when i exit the game using mameui's button combo launchbox freezes until i force close it using task manager

the strange thing is that launching a game from mameui itself the game opens on the correct screen.

Edited by putnamto

1 minute ago, putnamto said:

when launching a game with mameui64 through LB the game is on the wrong screen, and when i exit the game using mameui's button combo launchbox freezes until i force close it.

the strange thing is that launching a game from mameui itself the game opens on the correct screen.

Try copying the mame.ini from the ini folder into the root MAMEUI folder.

I have a question about the Mame software lists.

I can import an entire software set the same way as the Mame roms? Launchbox recognizes the whole system Automatically or I have to select each system/folder individually?

If I can import the software lists as Mame roms, does it also create the playlist for them?

2 minutes ago, Mame90 said:

I have a question about the Mame software lists.

I can import an entire software set the same way as the Mame roms? Launchbox recognizes the whole system Automatically or I have to select each system/folder individually?

If I can import the software lists as Mame roms, does it also create the playlist for them?

Software lists are not currently supported in Launchbox, but they are planned.

• 2 weeks later...

I've updated my mame version to 203, that just came out a few days ago, and am now in the process of importing everything again.

How does Launchbox handle the files of the roms that were renamed from the previous version? When importing will they be recognized or just don't get imported at all? Is there a database from were LB gets the information of the roms/games included in each rom set that needs to be updated?

About CHDs. Do i need to create a dummy zip for the ones that don't have an associated rom zip? I keep them in a sub-folder inside my roms folder (MAME\(roms) and MAME\CHD\(chds)), i've also set the path in the mame.ini and they load just fine in MAME but are there any issues regarding LB for keeping them separate?

Sorry about the bombardment of questions, i'm still trying to figure things out.

EDIT: I've found the Mame.xml file inside the Metadata folder, i guess that's the source LB uses for the MAME info. Not sure how up to date it is as I don't know which roms were renamed/added but i've imported everything anyway.

Edited by Rogerooo