LaunchBox Community Forums
Lordmonkus

Mame Tutorial for n00bs

So i had removed my old install from LB and I'm now in the process of scraping my non merged folder. I just happened to notice that when I deleted my old install it left a folder in arcade full of images from the previous install. Will it download all the images and I end up with a folder full of doubles? right now I ended up having a bunch more boxes checked for this install so I'm sure there will be a ton of games that won't be loaded with artwork that won't mean anything anymore. What folder or folders do I delete so I can remove unwanted junk images and game descriptions? I hope that makes sense what I'm talking about.

5 minutes ago, Tatts4Life said:

So i had removed my old install from LB and I'm now in the process of scraping my non merged folder. I just happened to notice that when I deleted my old install it left a folder in arcade full of images from the previous install. Will it download all the images and I end up with a folder full of doubles? right now I ended up having a bunch more boxes checked for this install so I'm sure there will be a ton of games that won't be loaded with artwork that won't mean anything anymore. What folder or folders do I delete so I can remove unwanted junk images and game descriptions? I hope that makes sense what I'm talking about.

I suggest unchecking all the image downloads if you already have a ton, as yes it would download duplicates. After you have run the import you can high lite all the  games and go to tools/metadata and image down loader and run the wizard and choose the middle option to not over right existing media, so this will just download what you are missing.

In the end it actually didn't download any doubles. But since my previous install had more boxes unchecked it didn't have to search through around 2,000 games. So I have that much unneeded stuff downloaded. If there isn't a way it would be cool if there was a way to delete artwork that's not needed anymore. Now to go through and figure out which games I want to play need CHD's and locate those.

Just now, Tatts4Life said:

In the end it actually didn't download any doubles. But since my previous install had more boxes unchecked it didn't have to search through around 2,000 games. So I have that much unneeded stuff downloaded. If there isn't a way it would be cool if there was a way to delete artwork that's not needed anymore. Now to go through and figure out which games I want to play need CHD's and locate those.

Tools/clean up media.

Is MAME 0.204 ROMs (split) the thing to go if you want the roms for mame?

All these seperated torrents is confusing

Got them working on Retroarch to complicated on other mame frontends

Split, Merged or Non Merged are all fine but if importing a full set into LB Split or Merged is recommended. Using Non Merged will work perfectly fine but it is a waste of drive space, Non Merged sets are for pulling out a hand picked smaller selection of games.