LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame Tutorial for n00bs

Lordmonkus

So i had removed my old install from LB and I'm now in the process of scraping my non merged folder. I just happened to notice that when I deleted my old install it left a folder in arcade full of images from the previous install. Will it download all the images and I end up with a folder full of doubles? right now I ended up having a bunch more boxes checked for this install so I'm sure there will be a ton of games that won't be loaded with artwork that won't mean anything anymore. What folder or folders do I delete so I can remove unwanted junk images and game descriptions? I hope that makes sense what I'm talking about.

5 minutes ago, Tatts4Life said:

So i had removed my old install from LB and I'm now in the process of scraping my non merged folder. I just happened to notice that when I deleted my old install it left a folder in arcade full of images from the previous install. Will it download all the images and I end up with a folder full of doubles? right now I ended up having a bunch more boxes checked for this install so I'm sure there will be a ton of games that won't be loaded with artwork that won't mean anything anymore. What folder or folders do I delete so I can remove unwanted junk images and game descriptions? I hope that makes sense what I'm talking about.

I suggest unchecking all the image downloads if you already have a ton, as yes it would download duplicates. After you have run the import you can high lite all the  games and go to tools/metadata and image down loader and run the wizard and choose the middle option to not over right existing media, so this will just download what you are missing.

In the end it actually didn't download any doubles. But since my previous install had more boxes unchecked it didn't have to search through around 2,000 games. So I have that much unneeded stuff downloaded. If there isn't a way it would be cool if there was a way to delete artwork that's not needed anymore. Now to go through and figure out which games I want to play need CHD's and locate those.

Just now, Tatts4Life said:

In the end it actually didn't download any doubles. But since my previous install had more boxes unchecked it didn't have to search through around 2,000 games. So I have that much unneeded stuff downloaded. If there isn't a way it would be cool if there was a way to delete artwork that's not needed anymore. Now to go through and figure out which games I want to play need CHD's and locate those.

Tools/clean up media.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying since hours to find how to generate the gamelist of mame (so I can find how they named the dreamcast CHD to download the right ones) and I can't seem to find any answer online! I know it's possible because I used to do it but I can't recall how and it's driving me mad. Does someone know what I'm talking about or am I already crazy?

Edited by Nocta
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely none of this is easy! A simple tutorial with links and a short video is needed. I've been at this for days with no progress. I'm about ready to give up.

ive downloaded the all killer no filler, but cannot get anything to launch in launchbox. I've tried all the emulator cores in retro arch..nothing happens.

Edited by rushisrighton

My instructions on the first page are as clear and simple as I am capable of making them.

If you are having troubles in LB here are 2 screenshots of my Mame emulator entry in LB.screenshot_36.thumb.jpg.220ae6c03312ec43f448bed70588dcd1.jpgscreenshot_37.thumb.jpg.dc8acd2d34ada64cf49251d1152e9c92.jpgI my emulator application path I am pointing to the groovymame executable because that is what I use but in the same folder the default mame64.exe executable is located as well so yours should be pointing to that or whatever Mame you are using is.

21 minutes ago, rushisrighton said:

ive downloaded the all killer no filler

I don't know what you mean by this, I have not seen an All Killer No Filler rom set on the internet, I have uploaded a batch file to pull out a set from a full Non Merged Mame rom set and I know there is a full pre done setup on the internet but that has nothing to do with me.

The Retroarch Mame core should work just fine but I do not use it at all but it does work for me.

Im giving it another shot from scratch, Im downloading the .78 mame set (Im assuming this is best if I want to use trackballs and light guns?). and will give it another go. A four hour download ugh.

Im definently interested in using a trackball and the mayflash dolphin bar and wii guns, however ive been unsucsessful getting them to work on my retropie using the community gold front end, or my pc launchbox that im starting. Any advice on which mame set I should use? Im assuming mame .78

Edited by rushisrighton

13 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

My instructions on the first page are as clear and simple as I am capable of making them.

If you are having troubles in LB here are 2 screenshots of my Mame emulator entry in LB.screenshot_36.thumb.jpg.220ae6c03312ec43f448bed70588dcd1.jpgscreenshot_37.thumb.jpg.dc8acd2d34ada64cf49251d1152e9c92.jpgI my emulator application path I am pointing to the groovymame executable because that is what I use but in the same folder the default mame64.exe executable is located as well so yours should be pointing to that or whatever Mame you are using is.

I don't know what you mean by this, I have not seen an All Killer No Filler rom set on the internet, I have uploaded a batch file to pull out a set from a full Non Merged Mame rom set and I know there is a full pre done setup on the internet but that has nothing to do with me.

The Retroarch Mame core should work just fine but I do not use it at all but it does work for me.

Yes, my application paths are similar, just pointing to retroarch instead, 've also tried a mame emulator with no luck. In bigbox I have all the art and snaps and audio, but none of them run. 

Since you are starting from scratch once you get everything downloaded first set up the emulator and the roms and test that everything is working outside of Launchbox. This way when you go to import if it does not work we know it is an issue with your setup in Launchbox and not your emulator setup. If it does not work share pics like the ones Monkus posted. 

23 minutes ago, rushisrighton said:

Im downloading the .78 mame set (Im assuming this is best if I want to use trackballs and light guns?)

I have had no issues or seen any issues with trackball and lightgun games in any set, there is no such thing as a "best set" unless you are talking about a specific set for an emulator on Android or RetroPie since those systems use an older Mame version for performance reasons.

You do have to enable the mouse as a trackball and lightgun controller in your mame.ini file though.

You mentioned the No Filler set before, it was pointed out to me that this was uploaded to the ArcadePunks site, that was not done by me so obviously I cannot support it. I have no control over what someone else has uploaded to a 3rd party website. All I can say about my involvement with that set is I made the list of games and the batch file which was used to pull out a small hand picked set of roms from a recent complete Non Merged Mame rom set.

5 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

I have had no issues or seen any issues with trackball and lightgun games in any set, there is no such thing as a "best set" unless you are talking about a specific set for an emulator on Android or RetroPie since those systems use an older Mame version for performance reasons.

You do have to enable the mouse as a trackball and lightgun controller in your mame.ini file though.

You mentioned the No Filler set before, it was pointed out to me that this was uploaded to the ArcadePunks site, that was not done by me so obviously I cannot support it. I have no control over what someone else has uploaded to a 3rd party website. All I can say about my involvement with that set is I made the list of games and the batch file which was used to pull out a small hand picked set of roms from a recent complete Non Merged Mame rom set.

I have it working now, after downloading the .78 set and dropping the zipped files in my arcade folder, they work as they should. My problem was the romset I downloaded, I got it off of a link somewhere that said it was a all killer no filler romset for mame that didn't have all of the crap in it. I assumed it was was  an edited version of mame, but it was my problem all along. Thank you for the help, I was pulling my hair out.

8 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

That's the info I needed, I did find a tutorial on how to add a line to the config file and I now have my tankstick trackball working on my retropie. So far I have it working with golden tee, but not centipede, looks like more to learn ;)