LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame Tutorial for n00bs

Lordmonkus

11 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

I'm not sure if the UI version of Mame needs a special command line or not, its been so long since I used a UI build.

I just use the command line version, generate a mame.ini file and modify it accordingly like my rompath and a few other settings.

When I try to load the game, the error msg is not coming from LB but from MAME so could there be a sub menu in MAME that I forgot to update beside "Directories" where I tell MAME the location of the ROMs?

11.jpg
Then again, MAME runs the games fine so there has to be a command that LB is sending MAME and MAME doesn't like it...

Edited by MerlinArcade

5 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

There error message is definitely missing a rom but I have no idea why it should be spitting that error message at you if it's working through Mame itself so double check in MameUI for your rom directory.

Yeah I did a few times but again it loads the games fine so it there was an error in MAME, the games would never launch right?

So you are out of suggestions? That's sad, I will never know what I did right the last time. I was pretty sure I did the exact same thing but then it worked and I had no clue why!!!

Holy crap I found it!!!!

Are you ready for this hehe better take some notes because it's really not obvious and there will be some other people who get this problem one day.

Here it is. Still don't know how I managed to find it though.

You open up MAME, do a right click on your game and select "properties".

Then inside, you have many tabs so select "Software".

11.jpgThen click browse and find the dir where your game ROM is located. It will be added as an "Additional directories".

NOT to be confused with the main directory asked in the Options menu. Again this is the  "Additional directories"option hidden way deep inside each game properties tabs.

13.jpg

7 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Well im not going to try out the MameUI builds, I will be sticking with the command line version. It takes me all of 5 minutes to setup and get games up and running when I want to install a new release.

What I like about the UI version is how fast I can find the name of the zip file for that game I want.

Go to all Systems, type in the name of the game like Centipede here and then all I have to do is look at the directory column and there you have it. centiped.zip

I can also create a sub folder in the left column and then dump only the games I want.

1.jpg

Edited by MerlinArcade

6 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Yeah I admit that is a nice feature but with the UI called Arcade you can add that in on top of the command line version just for rom checking purposes.

Can you show me a screenshot of what this looks like?

As you may know by now, I'm a "show me don't tell me" type of guy.

Edited by MerlinArcade

Because Mame is an open source project and the "real" Mame is the command line version. All the UI versions are just what other people want for their Mame and there are different opinions of what the UI should look like. Arcade is just a continuation of the old MameUIFX which ended its development so someone else picked up the UI part and now it's an addon for the command line Mame.

1 minute ago, lordmonkus said:

Because Mame is an open source project and the "real" Mame is the command line version. All the UI versions are just what other people want for their Mame and there are different opinions of what the UI should look like. Arcade is just a continuation of the old MameUIFX which ended its development so someone else picked up the UI part and now it's an addon for the command line Mame.

So MAME + Arcade = The official MAME UI?

No.

Mame is the "official" and actually has a simple UI built into it.

But because it is open source different people over the years built their own versions of Mame + UI. MameUI and MameUIFX are just 2 different ones with slight differences. There are others GUIs built for Mame such as QMC2 which is one of the more popular ones.

MameUIFX was just another Mame + UI build like MameUI just with some slight differences based on what the developer wanted but the dev decided to stop working on MameUIFX. Someone else then decided they still wanted MameUIFX but rather than build a MameUIFX like the old way they just decided to build the UI itself and you can install it right in the command line Mame folder and it's a separate exe file the end user can use.

Yeah I know it's crazy and confusing lol.

I follow you don't worry.

What I meant is that if you use the Arcade plugin then it's like the official version of a UI instead of a copy like MAMEUI.

I still don't see a big difference between MAMEUi and MAME+Arcade so I will stick with the MAMEUI unless I can't solve my little game launching problem here.

1 minute ago, lordmonkus said:

There isn't a real difference, just personal preference and my preference is to use the command line version and if I need to figure out a specific rom I will just throw Arcade in on top and use that for checking purposes.

I get it.

As for me, I don't want to spend the week going into the properties of every single game so I better find a solution for that stupid bug or else I will go with your Arcade UI.

Thanks for the tip.