LaunchBox Community Forums

Steam Link controller issues (PS4 Controller & Steam Controller)

hawkguy

Hey everyone,

I've recently got a Steam Link and it's up and running. I've got Big Box added as a Steam Link game. However, the controllers (both the Steam Controller & PS4 Controller via Bluetooth) are "acting as keyboards." Or at least in some type of keyboard mode, which is not letting me set up Retroarch or play the games. Every time I hit circle on the PS4 controller (B on the Steam Controller), I get backed out to an old menu. 

I'm just wondering if anyone else has set there's up and how you overcame this issue. I've been troubleshooting for about 4 hours now and I'm frustrated beyond belief. 

The controllers work perfectly in Steam games (played Dark Souls III just fine), but no dice in Big Box or RetroArch. 

Edit: Tried downloading some Steam Controller Configurations. No dice. I'm beyond frustrated because I've seen this work and I have no idea where I'm going wrong. Ugh. 

Edited by hawkguy

For the purposes of use with emulators, you basically just want to configure your controller in Big Picture to never function like a keyboard+mouse - it should look like this. "Captain Keeb's" was the community config I used a long time ago but I'm not sure if it's still around - it doesn't really matter though, the buttons just need to be configured the way they are in that picture. I also recommend disabling the Steam overlay - it causes issues for some emulators.

These posts are old but there's still some information in them that you may find useful. I posted these on the Steam Link forums a long time ago:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/0/485622866440318860/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/353380/discussions/0/485623406943314193/

Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm having this exact same problem.

Now, the difference is, I do not have a steam controller so I have no option to change the config like @Zombeaver showed in his posts.

I'm using the Dualshock 4 with VirtualHere so that it recognizes it as Xinput on the Steam Link.

Even before I was using VirtualHere I was having the same issue (Circle causes Retroarch to exit), also most of the other buttons are completely unresponsive except for X which Retroarch appears to be thinking it's the Start button for most consoles.

4 minutes ago, onebadveggie said:

Now, the difference is, I do not have a steam controller so I have no option to change the config like @Zombeaver showed in his posts.

I don't have a steam controller either. The image it shows is there regardless of the type of controller you're using. If you're using a Steam Link (or just using Big Picture mode in general) you can get to the configuration screen like anyone else.

In Big Picture mode it's in Settings (the cog icon) -> Controller section -> Configurations -> Desktop Configuration

Okay, then I am having a strange issue, that I assumed was being caused by not using a steam controller.

When I edit my configuration, it will not save. In fact, I created a config (that was identical to the CaptainKeeb config), and Big Picture mode just wouldn't save it. It would just hang on the screen with a "Waiting..." symbol, and never finish. I have to restart Big Picture when it happens.

So, then I went into the community section and tried to download a community config, just to see what would happen, and well, nothing happened. I would select one (There's one called Xbox 360 config that I've tried numerous times), and it just brings me back to the Desktop Configuration screen and nothing has changed.

I asked about this in the Steam_Link reddit, and the only responses I got made it seem like it was because I wasn't using a Steam Controller, but obviously that's false, and I'm having a different issue.

Yeah it sounds like there's something wonky going on with your configurator for some reason. I've never used a Steam Controller - I just use a regular old wireless 360 controller; and I did have to specifically configure it to just function like a controller at all times (i.e. configure it so that it won't fall back into sending "desktop mode" inputs when it thinks that's what you should be using...which is true for a lot of emulators).

This is definitely something you should bring up on the Steam forums; probably both in a general support area and in the Steam Link forums as well. I honestly wouldn't mention anything about Launchbox, Big Box, or emulators at all, because they'd more than likely just use it as a scapegoat. All they need to know is exactly what you described - that you can't create/save your controller configs and you can't load community ones either.

I actually bought VirtualHere because I thought it'd fix the issue, by making the Link recognize my game pad as an Xinput controller (I think Steam Link sees the DS4 as directinput by default).

And I'm on my PC right now, with no controller on at all, messing with configs and getting the same exact problems.

Just to clarify: It wasn't working originally, bought VirtualHere to hopefully fix the issue (which it didn't), and am now doing the same thing on PC sans controller and having the same problem.

Edited by onebadveggie

You dont need Virtual Here for a PS4 controller. Just hook it up to the Steam Link via Bluetooth. :)

There's videos on YouTube. I'd link one but I'm on my phone and these forums don't play nice.

I did a fresh install of RetroArch and the PS4 controller just started working again like normal. 

Edited by hawkguy

5 minutes ago, onebadveggie said:

And I'm on my PC right now, with no controller on at all, messing with configs and getting the same exact problems.

Yeah there's definitely something very wrong there...

As far as Retroarch specifically, what is your driver set to for inputs (Driver -> Joypad Driver). It should be Winxinput.

What type of joypad does RetroArch say you're using

Are launching Big Box through Steam? 

Ps.There's since really interesting news on the PS4 controller and Steam coming up if you Google it. The PS4 controller will be configurable like the Steam controller on the Link.

Edited by hawkguy

Yep, made sure just now.

I did some playing around in the inputs too.

When I press X while in Retroarch on the Steam Link, it registers that I'm pressing Enter on my keyboard. When I press Circle it registers as Escape.

When I test out my setup on my PC (Start Steam, bring up Big Picture, Launch Big Box, Play game in Retroarch), everything works perfectly fine. I'm using my DS4+DS4Windows+Bluetooth.

It only registers the buttons as key presses when I'm using my DS4 and the Steam Link Bluetooth.

I have to assume it has to do with the configurations.

Edited by onebadveggie