LaunchBox Community Forums

Commodore 64 loading

dov_EL

So that version is essential steem with all the same functions but updated for newer OS's?

http://steem.atari.st/download.htm that's the original version I assume?

Is this the Version of CCS64 ok, it seems that the official site is broken http://www.dosgamers.com/commodore-64/ccs64-c64-emulator

Official site http://www.ccs64.com/ (error when loading)

On 13/10/2016 at 6:01 PM, Zombeaver said:

No problem! I'm a C64 nut so I'm always happy to help people get C64 emulation up and running. The C64 is where my love for gaming began. Games like Times of Lore, Supremacy, Ballblazer, Rescue on Fractalus, The Last Ninja, Boulderdash, Master of the Lamps... those were my childhood.

One of these days I'd like to actually pick up one of these: SD2IEC. This lets you plug an SD card into a real C64 and read roms off the card just like it were reading it from a real 1541 disk drive.

I was a ZX Spectrum user and I believe it was somewhat cheaper than the C64 if memory serves. I just remember looking at the graphics and wanting one. I did however get my taste of a commodore machine owning both Amiga and Atari 16 bit machines. In my mind the best era for gaming. Changing the subject, is the Vic 20 worth emulating?

Sorry again for a rather fragmented post but could I just add two more question...

When adding the C64 roms do they have to be unrared and not in folders? 

'When Ive added rom in the past that are say on two disks I've scanned both roms during the import process. Some emulators will find the second disk without trouble. What you are saying is that once all the multi disk games are imported you run the game from disk 1 and then use F4 to mount the disk I assume?

Oooops, one more :)

I believe that your preferred file type .g64 but there are some games that are in the tape format, is it advisable to separate then like brad does in his video for testing purposes.

I promise this is the last one :)

Some collections have over 8k of games and it appears they are all original and not duplicates, was there really that many games if you factor in public domain stuff?

I guess that was the era of the bedroom coders :)

3 hours ago, InfinityFox said:

So that version is essential steem with all the same functions but updated for newer OS's?

http://steem.atari.st/download.htm that's the original version I assume?

As far as I know the original Steem works on modern OS's and yes that's the link to the original.

Steem SSE as quoted from it's homepage

"Steem SSE is an updated version of Steem based on that source release. It
incorporates new features and emulation improvements, some of them based on
other emulators (of Atari ST or other platforms), some on various internet
discussions, technical documentation, like chip datasheets, and test programs
on real hardware."

So it does everything the original Steem did and more and I believe there's now a 64bit build of it as well.

Edited by Belgarath

6 hours ago, Belgarath said:

There's also the Steem SSE fork which gets updated pretty often, the last update was June this year.

http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm

Sorry, I didn't realize it was a fork - yes, Steem SSE is the version I use.

3 hours ago, InfinityFox said:

Official site http://www.ccs64.com/ (error when loading)

That's the correct site, but it looks like it's down at the moment. You can still find it at the cached version though.

1 hour ago, InfinityFox said:

Changing the subject, is the Vic 20 worth emulating?

Can't really comment there - I never had any experience with the Vic 20.

When adding the C64 roms do they have to be unrared and not in folders? 

They can be in folders, but not compressed. CCS64 supports .PRG / .P00 / .T64 / .TAP / .D64 / .G41 and .G64 file formats.

Some emulators will find the second disk without trouble. What you are saying is that once all the multi disk games are imported you run the game from disk 1 and then use F4 to mount the disk I assume?

Yes, you import the first disk into Launchbox and use it to start the game. You switch to the second disk via the menu in the emulator (F10) when a game prompts you to switch disks.

I believe that your preferred file type .g64 but there are some games that are in the tape format, is it advisable to separate then like brad does in his video for testing purposes.

.d64 or .g64 are my preferred formats because those allow you to use the Maximum 1541 Speed option. Splitting your folders by format is up to you but I don't do it myself. I'm always going to try to get a .d64 or .g64 file for a game where possible and only fall back to tape or cartridge formats when there's no other option.

2 hours ago, InfinityFox said:

Some collections have over 8k of games and it appears they are all original and not duplicates, was there really that many games if you factor in public domain stuff?

Oh there's well over that my friend. The C64 had over 20,000 games with about half of those being commercially released. Gamebase currently has 25,700 titles in its library.

• Like 1

No problem! It's pretty straight forward.

You'll want to set the following:

Special -> Maximum 1541 Speed -> On - Quiet

Options -> 1541 Emulation -> Saving -> Continuously

Options -> System -> PAL (63 x 312) [this might be the default, I can't remember]

Options -> Video -> Screen Mode -> 1280x800x32 [you can mess around with these to find what's best for you but this is my preferred size for a 1920x1080 display as the higher resolutions tend to have a bit of blank border]

Options -> Video -> Update Mode -> Automatic

Options -> Video -> Palette -> Palette Mode -> Use PAL Palette

Options -> Input -> Control Port 1 -> Joystick and set the Mode to PC Gameport 1 (I use a wireless 360 controller)

If you have a second controller connected, do the same thing for control port 2 but set it to PC Gameport 2. Otherwise, leave it blank and press Alt+F10 while playing if you need to switch control ports. Some games used port 1, others used port 2 - if you start a game and pressing the button doesn't do anything or you can't move your character or something similar, try switching the control ports with Alt+F10.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Crush said:

ALT+Q

That's not the same thing. Alt+Q is manually enabling warp/uncapping the speed, which you can also do in CCS64 (Alt + F3) but that's not what I'm referring to. The "Maximum 1541 Speed" option in CCS64 enables warp automatically (as in, without you doing/pressing anything) and then disengages when loading is complete. There's no such feature in Hoxs64 to my knowledge.

• Like 1

Need some help here with CCS64:

Without any command line parameters in Launchbox the emu starts but doesn't run the game. From cmd if i type CCS64 filename the game runs fine.

If i set -autorun as parameter still nothing happens

The syntax for CCS64 is: CCS64 filename parameters so i guess that -autorun doesn't work because Launchbox sends the parameters before the filename.

Any solution?

No command line parameters are actually necessary for using CCS64 via Launchbox.

One thing I have encountered though is that if the rom filename contains certain special characters (apostrophes in particular) or are especially long that can cause a problem when trying to launch them through LB, even if they launch normally in CCS64 itself. You may want to try renaming the file and seeing if that helps.

CCS64.png

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I followed the tutorial but my games are not loading. I am using Hoxs64 with the -quickload -autoload commands. At first the emulator would just go to the purple colored system screen. Then I realized I had not ticked the box to unzip files as my ROMs are zipped .tap files. After doing that it seems to go through the quickload and autoload then asks to press play on the tape. Upon hitting the space-bar (which I am guessing is play) the game never actually loads but does something like:
image.thumb.png.8e368f6252daf7bee7f77232d121a3a8.pngimage.thumb.png.4d5cb2fcd41ea7e8cb638812ce1f18c9.png...if it even progresses to that. Some of those color combinations are pretty sweet but I'd rather be playing a game. Any ideas?

55 minutes ago, Dane said:

Hi all, I followed the tutorial but my games are not loading. I am using Hoxs64 with the -quickload -autoload commands. At first the emulator would just go to the purple colored system screen. Then I realized I had not ticked the box to unzip files as my ROMs are zipped .tap files. After doing that it seems to go through the quickload and autoload then asks to press play on the tape. Upon hitting the space-bar (which I am guessing is play) the game never actually loads but does something like:
image.thumb.png.8e368f6252daf7bee7f77232d121a3a8.pngimage.thumb.png.4d5cb2fcd41ea7e8cb638812ce1f18c9.png...if it even progresses to that. Some of those color combinations are pretty sweet but I'd rather be playing a game. Any ideas?

How about trying another emulator? Vice is a much more 'complete' emulator and I've never had any problems loading games with it through LaunchBox

1 hour ago, bundangdon said:

How about trying another emulator? Vice is a much more 'complete' emulator and I've never had any problems loading games with it through LaunchBox

I am trying CCS64 now, I'll see how I go with that. Unfortunately my childhood system is proving to be a right proper pain in the buttocks to get up and going.

5 minutes ago, Dane said:

I am trying CCS64 now, I'll see how I go with that. Unfortunately my childhood system is proving to be a right proper pain in the buttocks to get up and going.

CCS64 is a decent emulator too, but I highly recommend Vice, as you can set it up without having to add any extra parameters or command lines. Also, Vice still receives updates on an almost daily basis

http://vice.pokefinder.org/

41 minutes ago, Dane said:

That tutorial is pretty terrible, by the way. It has a lot of incorrect information. PP files are Preservation Project files and they (.nib files) do not work in emulators. They're designed to be used with some other tools to transfer onto real diskettes for use on actual hardware, not emulators. Do not import anything into your library that says "PP" on it.

CCS64 is still my preference as far as emulators. The usefulness of the Maximum 1541 Speed feature can't be overstated. No command line parameters are necessary, but you do need to change a few settings in the emulator.

Also, if you're a crazy person like me, you can dive down the deep dark rabbit hole of using the DOS version of CCS64. This requires a certain amount of extra work but has become my preferred method at this point as the DOS version avoids some of my personal annoyances with the Windows version.

You can look at the C64 Dreams collection I did if you want an example of this. An import-only version is available for existing Launchbox libraries - you just drop the stuff in your Launchbox folder and then boot up LB and you'll have a new platform named C64 Dreams.

I've been in the process of converting my entire C64 library over to that format, but it's fairly time-consuming.

7 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

That tutorial is pretty terrible, by the way. It has a lot of incorrect information. PP files are Preservation Project files and they (.nib files) do not work in emulators. They're designed to be used with some other tools to transfer onto real diskettes for use on actual hardware, not emulators. Do not import anything into your library that says "PP" on it.

CCS64 is still my preference as far as emulators. The usefulness of the Maximum 1541 Speed feature can't be overstated. No command line parameters are necessary, but you do need to change a few settings in the emulator.

All 1.6k of my files are zipped .tap files so that is no problem. I did download some preservation project files but deleted them when I saw that is what they were. I have heard you mention some setting in the special section but I do not appear to have that in my CCS64 emulator, or at least cannot see it. Is there someway in particular to access it or might I have a earlier or later version than you?

6 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

Also, if you're a crazy person like me, you can dive down the deep dark rabbit hole of using the DOS version of CCS64. This requires a certain amount of extra work but has become my preferred method at this point as the DOS version avoids some of my personal annoyances with the Windows version.

You can look at the C64 Dreams collection I did if you want an example of this. An import-only version is available for existing Launchbox libraries - you just drop the stuff in your Launchbox folder and then boot up LB and you'll have a new platform named C64 Dreams.

I've been in the process of converting my entire C64 library over to that format, but it's fairly time-consuming.

That sounds interesting but first I would like to try and get CCS64 working before I look into something else, thank you for mentioning it as it is something I will at the very least take a look at.