LaunchBox Community Forums

Commodore 64 loading

dov_EL

27 minutes ago, Dane said:

I have heard you mention some setting in the special section but I do not appear to have that in my CCS64 emulator, or at least cannot see it. Is there someway in particular to access it or might I have a earlier or later version than you?

It's definitely there. You press F10 to pull up the menu, then go to "Special", and it's called Maximum 1541 Speed.

CCS64 - Special.JPG

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

It's definitely there. You press F10 to pull up the menu, then go to "Special", and it's called Maximum 1541 Speed.

I found it thank you. I went through and entered all the settings you recommended. I still cannot get a single game to go but I will keep persevering with it.

The second point is particularly important as they won't work otherwise. They'll work if loaded within CCS itself, but not through LB. For whatever reason, special characters cause issues for CCS64 when launched through LB.

CCS64 doesn't support compressed formats like zip, it may or may not work with LB's extract function, but I don't use that personally - mine are all extracted. It's not like the files are large anyway.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

The second point is particularly important as they won't work otherwise. They'll work if loaded within CCS itself, but not through LB. For whatever reason, special characters cause issues for CCS64 when launched through LB.

CCS64 doesn't support compressed formats like zip, it may or may not work with LB's extract function, but I don't use that personally - mine are all extracted. It's not like the files are large anyway.

I just extracted them and am going to use Bulk Rename Utility to get rid of any parenthesis. I will let you know how I go. Because Launchbox is linked to them as a .zip I will have to upload them to Launchbox again now right?

What DOS said is correct, although that won't help with the ones that are getting renamed with Bulk Rename Utility since it'd be more than just the extension that's getting changed. Removing them from your library and then reimporting would probably be easiest. As long as your files are named pretty coherently you should be able to get them to match up with your previously downloaded media.

• Thanks 1

One other thing that's worth mentioning is that the Maximum 1541 Speed feature isn't going to do anything for you if you're using .tap files. Those are tapes, which Max 1541 Speed doesn't have any bearing on. 1541 refers to the 1541 floppy diskette drive, and only impacts disk formats. .d64 is the format I recommend.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

One other thing that's worth mentioning is that the Maximum 1541 Speed feature isn't going to do anything for you if you're using .tap files. Those are tapes, which Max 1541 Speed doesn't have any bearing on. 1541 refers to the 1541 floppy diskette drive, and only impacts disk formats. .d64 is the format I recommend.

I just spent half an hour going through my 1.6k .tap files and they are all unzipped and renamed appropriately. Though I do I have a set of TOSEC .d64 files which they are about 17k. It will take some time to sort through those to do the same thing but I think I will just bite the bullet and commit to doing so. I will report back as to my success or lack-thereof in the end.

I really don't recommend using TOSEC for C64 as there is a metric boatload of bad dumps in there. A lot of games will have like 6 or 7 dumps available and there might be one or two good ones among them.

Gamebase64 is normally a safe bet, with one version each, with the best or at the very least a working version of them.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

I really don't recommend using TOSEC for C64 as there is a metric boatload of bad dumps in there. A lot of games will have like 6 or 7 dumps available and there might be one or two good ones among them.

Gamebase64 is normally a safe bet, with one version each, with the best or at the very least a working version of them.

Yeah I knew TOSEC are more in the spirit of preservation than quality per say. I had never heard of Gamebase64, their v15 collection is monolithic in size. Just found it, I'm in!

• 5 weeks later...

Dont unzip everything!

Use Hoxs64, add a c64 game, then enter under "emulation" edit, the following command:

"-autoload C:\LaunchBox\7-Zip\Temp\Ghostbusters_II_Side_1.g64"

Launchbox is extracting the game "Ghostbusters II"  as an example in Temp Folder under 7Zip and is automatic starting Disk 1.

Or use the "Load"*",8,1 command in Launchbox:

"-autoload C:\LaunchBox\7-Zip\Temp\Ghostbusters_II_Side_1.g64" ":*"

Now when you start the game from launchbox, the emulator will type in automatic the standard c64 load for games!

Have fun.

• 8 months later...