LaunchBox Community Forums

How do you guys split up Arcade games?

24 minutes ago, InfinityFox said:

You guys mention splitting your mame sets which essentially is what I aim to do, but how on earth do you know what games are from what systems. All the mame roms are abbreviated names and I've googled splitting mame rom sets but not found any info on how to go about it.  Where do I start I order to split the mame collection up?

Well, I'm currently waiting for Lightspeed (it's a MAME importer) to be updated to the new Launchbox version, since it allows importing by system. Other ways would have to involve Final Burn Alpha sets, since they don't use MAME files.

On 11/7/2016 at 10:27 PM, Jason Carr said:

Hmm...the genre stuff is probably best tackled with one of the other new features planned for 7.0, nested filters. This is planned to allow you to filter the Arcade platform (for example) to a certain genre (for example). Or filter one list by another.

Is there a video showing nested filters in action... maybe a little how-to tutorial with it?

For the people who divide up their Arcade systems.... how are you doing it?

Are you literally searching for each game and reassigning to a new platform? Or are you selecting specific rims during import?

The problem with these make romaets are the non-friendly names and the 20versions of each game (region, hack, clone, number of players, etc..) 

I like the way Hyperspin does the Arcade platforms. You just point it to a list of games and you're good to go. I also like that it uses the same media as the master MAME platform. 

My issue with LB currently is that I'm creating a custom Platform for Street Fighter arcade games and it's a hassle to move each game from Arcade. Then when I tried to just repoint the Street Fighter platform folders to use the Arcade videos, it wouldn't use the theme videos. Then after that when I rescraped them (because finding each video I already have is cumbersome) it would download the videos to the Arcade platform despite these games being tagged to the "Street Fighter" platform. 

I think it makes sense to somehow allow the use of the HyperSpin XML files. So much work has gone into creating those very detailed list of working roms that it's a shame to start over. 

I also personally like 1 master platform and then the individual manufacturer's "classics" platforms - assuming you can share media of course. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is nested filters available yet? Any video on this working?

I started another thread looking for ideas, I'm wondering if it would help?

_____

I have a bunch of lightgun games now that my aimtrak's are fully functional. The games are cross platform. I have setup a custom filter with a special tag I place in the game details, its tedious process. I can change my view in Big Box (BB) to a customer filter, but its not ideal process.

I'm looking for better ideas. Can I just create a new platform? Call it LightGun, and move all my light games (cross emulators) into this platform for easy selection?

Is there a better way to do mark and pull these up in BB?

_______

J

• 6 months later...
On 1/6/2017 at 10:11 AM, JaysArcade said:

Yeah I like to split mine up by platform so I can have a clear logo and custom platform media related to it. If I could have the option to have genre related clear logos and media with the nested filters (when we get them), I would be happy.

I'm in agreement with @JaysArcade on this, as to me one of the big benefits of using LaunchBox is the opportunity for library customization and beautification with images and videos. For now I have each primary arcade developer (Capcom, Konami, Midway, etc.) as its own platform, and a couple of catch-all platforms for smaller developers.

This has been working well for a while as I build my library, as for me a big appeal of LaunchBox/BigBox is the act of importing ROMs, acquiring missing artwork and video, and learning about each game as it's imported. However, now that I'm working on a bartop arcade and planning to have friends over to actually play games, I'm thinking differently about what would be more useful in a party environment.

What I think I'll do is have the bartop arcade start in playlist view, with playlists like the following:

• Best of arcade playlists: top 10, top 25, top 50, top 100 from all genres
  • By decades: 80s, 90s, 00s (no more than 25-50 per decade)
  • By genres: beat 'em up, classics, fighting, platform, puzzle, racing, run and gun, shmup, sports (no more than 25 per genre)

When I'm playing solo, I can switch back to Platform view and browse as before, and make more detailed playlists for my own nerdy purposes.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I'm sorry to be bringing up an older post but i am wondering how this is done today.  I imported all my roms as 'arcade' but would like to have something on the side say 'NeoGeo' in case I just want to see all neogeo games, what is the best way to go this right now?  I looked at playlists but that means i'd have to create playlists for all my platforms if i want them showing all on the same page.  Is there a way to create a new platform and just link to the games in Arcade?