LaunchBox Community Forums

Amiga Emulation / FS-UAE: A Comprehensive Tutorial + Launchbox Integration

Zombeaver

Apologies if this has come up before and already been answered, I've been trawling the forum since yesterday trying to find an answer and have been stuck on this for weeks,

I have an external drive with LB set up to be completely portable so that all of the games/media etc do not rely on having a set drive letter. This is working great on everything but FS-UAE and WHDload. I thought I had cracked it yesterday but when I tested in on a different machine I noticed that the SQL database still uses a drive letter to list the location of the UUIDs and doesn't work unless the external drive has that letter.

Is there any way at all I can get this to work entirely with relative paths, I'm using FS-UAE Dev version 2.9.7(dev2). 

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Honestly, that's something you'd have to ask Frode, the developer. Assuming you've tried using relative paths of something like .\Data\Databases etc. and it didn't work, there might not be a way to do it currently. I would suggest contacting Frode via either his Discord or his section on EAB.

https://discord.gg/SEWwjUJ

http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=122

Can someone help me with re-mapping CD32 controls?

I have the following (which indicates the mapping I want), and as far as I can tell Player 1 (Joy_1) is working, and player 2 direction keys are working, but no other buttons:

keyboard_key_5 = action_joy_1_cd32_play
keyboard_key_6 = action_joy_0_cd32_play
keyboard_key_a = action_joy_1_cd32_green
keyboard_key_c = action_joy_1_cd32_ffw
keyboard_key_d = action_joy_1_cd32_rwd
keyboard_key_escape = action_quit
keyboard_key_f = action_joy_0_left
keyboard_key_g = action_joy_0_down
keyboard_key_h = action_joy_0_right
keyboard_key_i = action_joy_0_cd32_yellow
keyboard_key_j = action_joy_0_cd32_blue
keyboard_key_leftbracket = action_joy_0_cd32_ffw
keyboard_key_lshift = action_warp
keyboard_key_n = action_joy_0_cd32_red
keyboard_key_o = action_joy_0_cd32_rwd
keyboard_key_s = action_joy_1_cd32_yellow
keyboard_key_t = action_joy_0_up
keyboard_key_u = action_joy_0_cd32_green
keyboard_key_x = action_joy_1_cd32_blue
keyboard_key_z = action_joy_1_cd32_red

I havent found a game where I can test everything clearly, so not 100% sure all mappings are working on P1 but i at least have green and red working as far as I am able to tell

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this tutorial. I'm running into a couple stumbling blocks in the beginning that I hope to resolve. First, the current "suite" 2.8.3 installs into the AppData folder and won't let me choose anywhere else. Second, in the fs-uae folder there is no Kickstarter folder to put the files in. If anyone has any advice or can direct me to an older version that follows this tutorial that would be awesome. And while it may be blasphemy, is there gamepad support? Admittedly, I'm a console and arcade man with the exception of modern Windows games. Lol.

Download the "Portable folder with FS-UAE" version of 2.8.3.  Unzip it into the folder you want to run it from.  (May need/want to uninstall you 'installer' version 1st.)  This way everything for it is stored in that folder and you don't have to worry about the AppData folder at all.

I don't recall if the Kickstarts folder is there right away or if it creates it on first run. 

On 4/21/2019 at 5:15 PM, JoeViking245 said:

Download the "Portable folder with FS-UAE" version of 2.8.3.  Unzip it into the folder you want to run it from.  (May need/want to uninstall you 'installer' version 1st.)  This way everything for it is stored in that folder and you don't have to worry about the AppData folder at all.

I don't recall if the Kickstarts folder is there right away or if it creates it on first run. 

Thank you. I realized this soon after I posted and is indeed the correct answer.

• Like 1

If I follow the video tutorial, will I be able to use it with Rocketlauncher as well? To get FS-UAE, Launchbox and Rocketlauncher to work together, I had to rename all my WHDLoad amiga files to reflect the actual name of the game and them import them into Launchbox.  I had not seen the video tutorial when I did that.  If I follow this tutorial, will everything work with Rocketlauncher? Do any additional steps need to be taken?

Edited by Styphelus

• 2 weeks later...

Cool. You're replacing one tool with another though. I don't know that that's really making things easier. I like the idea, but it kindof seems like six to one, half dozen to the other in the end.

The entire process of importing into FS-UAE and exporting UUIDs, which you can do en masse, takes literally about a minute; at which point they can be imported into LB like anything else (and they scrape against the LBGDB and Emumovies just fine).

4 hours ago, int3 said:

you sure about emumovies scraping just fine?

Yes, I'm sure. You can see this in the video above.

4 hours ago, int3 said:

they follow the names for the hyperspin xml...

No, not necessarily. They can, but they don't have to. In the case of the above example, the resultant video downloaded from emumovies is simply named "Wings Of Fury.mp4" to match the library title - the media naming is handled by Launchbox itself upon scrape. Media matching, by default, uses the library title, but can also match against the rom name.

It's never been an issue with anything in my library shrugemoji.jpg Admittedly, that's only about 400 games for me at this point.

A certain amount of mismatching/missed matches is just kindof inherent in Launchbox in general, that's not really specific to Amiga. It all works on matching logic that isn't, and won't likely ever be, 100%. If you've gotten it closer to that, great. If people want to use it, go for it. It's not hurting anything. More options are good. I'm already at 100% in my own library though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

is there an easy way to get the overlay that you use in FSUAE to work when you launch FSUAE via Launchbox?

Currently the overlay vanishes when I launch games via Launchbox.  So wondering if a simple piece of code sorts it.  By the way I recommend trying 10x10 that I'm playing here for simple puzzle fun.1010-real-1905120059-01.thumb.png.9243ba1c99878005fbdd5faf4274a6e6.png

Edit:  I have sorted it so the overlay works now :)

agony-real-1905121240-01.png

Edited by qupe75
fixed

I attach a shader that i think brings out the proper look, in my point of view, for the amiga games. You put the shader in FSuae\Data\Shaders

In the advanced settings in FSUAE you put:

line_doubling = 0

low_resolution = 1

shader = x:\emulation\FSuae\data\shaders\crt-cgwg-pinky.shader

Although you shouldn´t need to put in the full path, I can´t get it to work without it. Adjust path to where your fsuae resides.

FSUAE doesnt have an option for autoswitch to hi resolution as WinUAE, but i actually can´t think of a game that uses hi-res. The only downside is that the whdload start screen will be a little blurry.

crt-cgwg-pinky.shader

• Like 2

image.pngThose are my main settings and then in advanced settings I use.

Edit and set publish = 1

Xinput_Controller_axis_5_pos = action_warp

bezel = 0

fullscreen_mode = fullscreen

quick_settings = 1

rtg_scanlines = 0

scanlines = 1

stretch = 0

theme = 1084x_night_wall_white_1.0

I am currently working on a huge Amiga pack going through PD games as well.  I am eliminating some out and out rubbish and have configured some 100+ games for use with FSUAE (and I use the dev version as it has more games not yet published).

As per the superb FSUAE tutorial on here (by Mugenmush) I use FSUAE for the pre-configured games and a FSUAE UUID setting for my own pre-configured games

Edited by qupe75
delete additional pic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, firstly great guide, Having used winuae on and off for a for 10+ years fsuae is like a breath of fresh air! 

So I have been importing my files over and following the instructions in the guide but some of the games are not being recognized I think because they do not have the correct file name, is there anywhere I can check the name against what FS UAE's game database actually uses so I can get the premade config's?

The game I am having trouble with at the moment is Another World, I can see the game in the database.