LaunchBox Community Forums

Amiga Emulation / FS-UAE: A Comprehensive Tutorial + Launchbox Integration

Zombeaver

Version 2.9.4dev is out :)

Hmm...I guess this means it wouldn't find existing saves if people had been using the UUID method then. I suppose that's not a huge deal since it's unlikely that people are going to remove existing games from their library and then reimport them just to use this different method (because why would they?). It's something that people should be aware of though since they'd run into it if they were to, for example, copy their files over to a new computer and did a fresh import on another instance of Launchbox, using archives rather than UUIDs.

Yes, it's not perfect, but at least it's somewhat consistent. The alternative seems worse: If games are saved based on the archive name (because of no match in the game database), and then later at some point, the database is updated - a match is found, and now the save directory name is based on game database information.

Hmm. Interesting. So, just so I understand, this would be for a scenario where someone has already created a custom config but rather than starting FS-UAE with that config they're starting it with the archive itself? Does the archive have to exactly match the name of the config? Because that probably wouldn't work if so - most of the commonly distributed archives have names like "Agony_v1.3_0960.zip" rather than just "Agony" (which is what the config is likely to be named). If there's some kind of matching logic though that could be useful - people could theoretically just dump all their archives into Launchbox and if there's an existing config it'd find/match/use it accordingly.

No, I was more thinking that a user could add a config (to override the defaults) if he discovers that a WHDLoad game does not work properly with the default settings. I haven't implemented this. Can wait and see if it is actually needed first.

What would an example of this be? I'm not sure if I've encountered this.

3D Pool for example has both 3DPool.slave/.info and 3DPictures.slave/.info. See https://github.com/FrodeSolheim/fs-uae-launcher/blob/master/fsgs/amiga/whdload.py for an incomplete list (look for primary_icons). This list was used with my WHDLoad importer, but is now also included in FS-UAE Launcher so the Launcher will handle these ambiguous archives.

• Like 1

The database he is using is SQL Lite - with "DB Browser for SQLite" you can read the databases FS UAE creates, but i don't know if messing with them will result in broken configurations...

UPDATE: Removing Files.sqlite and re-scanning the files rebuilds the database removing any deleted entries.

Edited by Crush

I found this thread on the EAB.

Original poster:

Question 5 : When I delete game files in my Download directory, the game is still marked as "downloaded" with a joystick icon in the game list, so how to properly delete a downloaded game please ?

Frode's response:

5) FS-UAE Launcher does not know that you have deleted the files. Just run the "scan files and configurations" function and FSs-UAE Launcher will notice it and update the game status.

That doesn't actually seem to work though. I just tested it as well. I tried updating both the file database and the game database.

Yeah I figured. That just seems like a rather extreme solution to what should be a matter of just rescanning or even a simple click-on-name-and-press-delete affair. Based on that old EAB post by Frode it sounds like it's not actually working as intended currently.

A non-ideal solution is a solution nevertheless though, so at least there's some way to do it currently. Thanks for figuring that out.

• 3 weeks later...

Great Tutorial got Amiga games running now. but i used the games i had at hand from the No intro set all the games are ipf format.

in your tutorial you spoke of a different format any reason i should go looking for something other then ipf ? 

1 hour ago, ALIE said:

Great Tutorial got Amiga games running now. but i used the games i had at hand from the No intro set all the games are ipf format.

in your tutorial you spoke of a different format any reason i should go looking for something other then ipf ? 

.ipf is a floppy disk format that was created by the Software Preservation Society (formerly CAPS) for the preservation of original, unaltered (ie non-cracked) Amiga game disks. It's sortof similar to the C64 Preservation Project's .nib files, though unlike those .ipf format is actually supported by emulators (including FS-UAE). However, you might run into instances where the game asks for a password from the manual or something similar because these contain all of the original copy protection.

I highly encourage people to try WHDLoad format. These will either be .zip or .iha format. If it's a zip, it will contain a folder with the name of the game and an .info file - these can be imported as-is. If the zip contains an .iha file, the .iha file needs to be extracted and then that file can be imported into FS-UAE.

WHDLoad is just a lot more convenient than floppy formats, in my opinion. You no longer need to mess with any disk swapping, the load times are much faster than floppies, and there are no cracktros even though the copy protection has been removed. There are, of course, instances where a game simply hasn't been converted to WHDLoad format yet and you'll have to use a floppy format, but whenever it's available I always use WHDLoad.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

I'm confused....there has been so many updates and improvements to this emulator since I imported my Amiga collection into Launchbox...used a script from another link that imported and created games for us and import into Launchbox...should I just remove all games from LB, and import them normally using the wizard in LAunchbox after installing the latest FS-UAE for the best results, because I don't believe the import script is needed anymore with the new version...

Thanks.

- Brett

41 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

The tutorial video is still accurate. The only thing that's no longer necessary is the special Launcher exe that Eirulan made - that was to address a bug in FS-UAE that has since been patched (and this is noted in an annotation in the video).

Yeah I had done it via the Special Launcher method, so now what's imported isn't accurate ...I guess I'll delete and redo it all :-)

Again, that's not necessary. You don't have to delete/reimport anything. You just need to change it from the custom launcher to the normal launcher for FS-UAE. It has no impact on your library whatsoever. Just update the emulator entry in LB by changing the .exe.