LaunchBox Community Forums
Zombeaver

Amiga Emulation / FS-UAE: A Comprehensive Tutorial + Launchbox Integration

13 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

Stuff like that happens. When it does, you'll typically want to create your own config as I show in the video. It's less of an issue now with the newest dev versions - it now reads from the info file in the archive so it'll fill in the parameters that it finds there (in the past it didn't read/fill in anything), but sometimes some manual intervention is still required. When it is, you'll need to create your own config and then import the config into LB.

The thing is I used a dev version and it did the autoconfig thing, But it seems the autoconfig from openretro is faulty. I did submit a comment in the game entry and I am waiting for Frode to see it.

9 minutes ago, plutonick said:

The thing is I used a dev version and it did the autoconfig thing, But it seems the autoconfig from openretro is faulty. I did submit a comment in the game entry and I am waiting for Frode to see it.

But as Zombeaver pointed out and that i missed is that the config you get from openretro and the one that you use when just using the .lha dir is the "same thing" nowadays. Hence it must be something deeper.

51 minutes ago, boon said:

But as Zombeaver pointed out and that i missed is that the config you get from openretro and the one that you use when just using the .lha dir is the "same thing" nowadays. Hence it must be something deeper.

I dont think it is the same thing, because for instance if you use the .lha you need to provided the switches yourself (such as PRELOAD or BUTTONWAIT). Also, users can change the openretro's config with better setups based on their experiences. Someone could easily break it though.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, plutonick said:

I dont think it is the same thing, because for instance if you use the .lha you need to provided the switches yourself (such as PRELOAD or BUTTONWAIT). Also, users can change the openretro's config with better setups based on their experiences. Someone could easily break it though.

This is from page two of this thread;

"* .info files are ignored (they will be unique for each installation)
* Each individual file which is required is looked for by checksum. The archive containing the files does not have to match anything. The files for a WHDLoad install does not even have to be in the same archive.
(*) There can be a few exceptions, and it requires you to use the same disk versions and install options.

About WHDLoad arguments and missing PRELOAD when giving files directly to the database; Actually, the launcher could (and should) extract the default WHDLoad arguments from the .info icon file within the WHDLoad game archive. I already have code for doing this (used when importing configurations to the online database) so I can improve this. But, using the online game database is a good idea anyway, so you'll get any fixes submitted by users (corrections to the default arguments, extra configuration needed, etc)."

Edited by boon

4 hours ago, boon said:

It's not really, though. Not necessarily, anyway. You can specify parameters on openretro independently from what's in the .lha / .zip. What's on openretro should generally be more accurate (which is why doing a proper import and exporting the UUIDs is still a better option, overall), but there are exceptions (I show a couple in my video). That said, throwing a WHDLoad archive directly at FS-UAE is a lot better now than it was at the time, because in the past it didn't pull anything, so things like PRELOAD weren't used, even if they were specified in the archive's .info.

3 hours ago, plutonick said:

I dont think it is the same thing, because for instance if you use the .lha you need to provided the switches yourself (such as PRELOAD or BUTTONWAIT).

No you don't; not if you're using the latest dev version and those arguments are used in the .lha's .info file (PRELOAD is basically always be included in them, as far as I've seen). They're now populated automatically in FS-UAE just by directing the .lha / .zip to it (in past versions, it didn't do this).

Great tutorial. Almost up and running, apart from many WHDLoad files that don't populate in the main window. When I try to create a config, I cannot see any zip files in the Choose Hard  Drive option/window, so can't get stated. Any ideas how to reveal the zips?

29 minutes ago, somakarma said:

Great tutorial. Almost up and running, apart from many WHDLoad files that don't populate in the main window. When I try to create a config, I cannot see any zip files in the Choose Hard  Drive option/window, so can't get stated. Any ideas how to reveal the zips?

You just need to navigate to them. Use the custom default config, go to the hard drive tab, click the add button and then select the zip you want. I show this in the video.

If the folder that it defaults to when you click the add button isn't the right one, just use the up (parent directory) button until you get to wherever they are.

image.thumb.png.2474bda64fe40e389ec400e00143b861.png

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the swift reply. I literally have no zip folders to select in that FS window though (it shows as empty), although in actual fact there are 2,648 in there.  'Files of type' is set to All Files. (Though this All Files is greyed out and unselectable)

Edited by somakarma

Ah I pressed the folder icon (as thought zips are folders) but now clicking the FILE icon reveals then all!

And another hurdle... I also seem to have picked the ONLY game - Settlers - that does not populate the WHDLoaad Argument... and does not recognise any of my attempts... anyone have any luck here?

You're not really providing much useful information here.

1) Send a screenshot of the contents of the .zip you're trying to use.

2) Send a screenshot of the hard drive tab for the config.

Well, I've overcome my original oversight (i've now created the config using the WHDLoad Settlers file). Then i overcame the next hurdle (i resinstalled the zip, as the .slave from the previous one had been moved elsewhere in my noobishness). So the game Settler now runs using FS. 

However, I'm now stuck again -- I have exported all the FS WHDs into the temp folder from Launcher.sqlite, using Exporter. But I cannot see the file that I config'd (Settlers) as one of those folders (though there is still the config folder in FS) -- should this appear upon the export, or is it somewhere in there, or have i missed something? - its the same situation as you do in 26:07 with Cyber Assault; does the Cyber Ass file appear to transfer into the UUID folder (and then LaunchBox), or is it just a hidden config file?

2 hours ago, somakarma said:

should this appear upon the export, or is it somewhere in there, or have i missed something?

This is covered in the video. They're separate.

Solved, thank you -- up and running! Yep its all in the video, next time I'm trying to figure it out at 2am I'll just go to bed.