LaunchBox Community Forums
Zombeaver

Amiga Emulation / FS-UAE: A Comprehensive Tutorial + Launchbox Integration

hi guys, 

please, i need your help. I have configured FS-UAE and now i can play my .adf and WHLOAD games with Model = Amiga1200 and my AmigaCD 32 games with Model = CD32.  After that, I imported the FS-UAE.exe emulator on LB, without any issue: I'm albel to play all y .adf and WHLOAD games. 

Now I imported Amiga CD32 in LB, using the same FS-UAE installation (I mean, same Launcher.exe used for Amiga emualation).  I tried to import 2 AmigaCD32 games: one of them in folder format, with bin, cue, img, sub files: I added the .cue file in LB.  The other one is in .zip format (it included .wav files, .cue and .bin).  LB correctly detected them, but if i run them, the emulator starts but:

1) when i play the game in folder format, it appear a blue screen, with AMIGA DOS information. I think that I have understood the issue: if I play this game, the emulator doesn't start with Amiga CD32 model. If I push START on my joypad, it appears at the upper left side: Amiga 500".

2) when i play the game in zip format, it appears only the AMIGA CD 2 logo. Here if I push START, it doesn't happen anything

I suppose that I have to do something of particular in order to correctly start the FC-UAE emulator for CD 32 games... can you help me, please?

thank you very much

Hey this video is huge. A lot of information that doesn't really apply to what I'm trying to do. Can anyone guide me to where in the video it explains how to make the WHDload packs scrapeable for Launchbox?

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2020 at 6:45 PM, IcedFreon said:

Hey this video is huge. A lot of information that doesn't really apply to what I'm trying to do. Can anyone guide me to where in the video it explains how to make the WHDload packs scrapeable for Launchbox?

I'm going to describe ONE way to do this. This isn't exactly how I do it on my system, but it'll be easier to manage and remove a couple of potential pit-falls down the road.

1. Set up FS-UAE as PORTABLE and import all the WHDLoad games - put all the games in a folder wherever you'd like - just DO NOT call it "Commodore Amiga" and put it inside the LB "Games" folder (I'll tell you why later)*

2. Make sure the games are correctly recognized and can be played as expected

3. Download and launch the FSUAE_Exporter UUID tool linked in another post/thread to read the FS-UAE sqlite database and generate a series of game-named folders containing empty UUID files which link to your games

4. In the tool, select your launcher.sqlite file and then pick a destination folder - call it "Amiga  WHDLoad UUID"

5. Leave both following check-boxes EMPTY and click START EXPORT - it'll finish within a few seconds if you have a fast HD

6. Copy the folder you just made into LB/Games/Commodore Amiga - or you can really put it anywhere you'd like, this doesn't make much difference - but it's going to STAY HERE.

7. In LB, Import ROMS

8. Select Commodore Amiga as platform

9. Add FS-UAE as an Emulator

10. Name can be "FS-UAE" and for the application path pick the Launcher.exe in your FS-UAE folder -  check "don't use quotes" and "use file name only without file extension"

11. Click the Associated Platforms Tab and add "Commodore Amiga" and might as well check the "default emulator" box - press OK

12. Select the folder to import and pick the folder you made in the UUID exporter - import without copying

13. To quickly import and see results, turn OFF all media downloading for LB and EMU Movies

14. On the final screen of the wizard, select "Use Folder Names" before starting the import

That's it.  Everything will import and even if you have a stupid-fast SSD this is still going to take much longer than you expect.  Once it's finished you should have imported approximately 2300 titles if doing Engish-only (subject for another post) or some 2900-3000+ if you're using the full WHDLoad Retroplay set including all languages.

You should be able to double-click to start any game.

Now import media files.  Select ALL and in Tools, Download Metadata and Media.  Select to overwrite and only for the Amiga collection.  Go away for 4-6 hours, this is going to take a while.

* up above I recommended NOT putting the games inside the LB/Games/Commodore Amiga folder. The reason for this is that folder is LB's default games folder and if you ever do any kind of automatic scan, including "check for added roms" it'll find all the lha files and try to import them, making a huge mess of your collection. The UUID files are fine in that folder because they'll be ignored by any update actions.

Edited by Pixelpiper
  • Like 1

Hi,

Great work!! This is one of the best tutorial I have seen in a long time (video + files + text + forum!). It has helped me to understand the logic of FS-UAE and to make it work properly.

For Launchbox however, I am still a little bit confused. You see, I have downloaded several lha / WHDLoad files. They ALL run perfectly when launched from FS-UAE.

I have imported the same files in Launchbox - but I run into the following problem:

- for some files, I can launch them from Launchbox without any issue.

- for some other files, I get a "Guru meditation" error message saying "Error: Exception Message: Did not find the specified WHDLoad slave 'name_of_the_game'. Check WHDLoad arguments".

I have spent some time looking for an answer with no success. This is frustrating because, again, for some files everything runs perfectly from LB, for others I run into this dead-end.

Did I miss something here? Any idea where that might come from?

Or, do I actually need to use the UUID method described in the video for ALL WHDLoad files? I thought I did not need to do that for files that are automatically recognized by FS-UAE. And I wish I don't have to... Please let me know.

guru.JPG

I use UUIDs for everything that I'm able to. The only scenario where I'm not using UUIDs is when there isn't an existing automatic config or that config has a problem, in which case I'm creating a config manually and importing them into Launchbox.

9 hours ago, Le joueur francais said:

I thought I did not need to do that for files that are automatically recognized by FS-UAE.

That's literally the opposite of what's in the video. If it's not recognized, you won't have a UUID to export to begin with. In that scenario I make manual configs.

Technically in the newest dev builds you shouldn't need to use UUIDs as it's supposed to use the correct config when you direct the WHDLoad game to FS-UAE automatically (or at the very least use the parameters listed in the game's .info file which is usually enough in and of itself). Whether or not that's going to work 100% of the time or not I don't know because I don't do that. Personally I still use the UUIDs anyway. It literally takes about a minute to generate them, gives you a nice group of correctly named folders that are easy to import into Launchbox, and I've never had any problems from using them.

1 hour ago, Zombeaver said:

That's literally the opposite of what's in the video. If it's not recognized, you won't have a UUID to export to begin with. In that scenario I make manual configs.

😱 ... of course. For some reason, I thought UUID was revelant only for games that I would download from within FS-UAE Launcher, not for games I manually downloaded and scanned... Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my uber-noob question and sorry for another case of https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pbcak

I might try and use the latest dev builds of FS-UAE, wait for a new stable version that does not require to use UUIDs, or follow the tutorial to setup FS-UAE UUID. I'll have a lot of fun in any case. 🙂

Thanks again Zombeaver.

• Like 1

Just in case you still read this thread. Thanks in a very big way. was struggling a lot with this, but your tutorial vid was really easy to follow and really well done. Got everything working.

Thanks a bunch Zombeaver :). 

Now if you could do one for pinball arcade........😀

• Like 2