LaunchBox Community Forums

What are you playing at the moment?

Charco

I thought a thread discussing what people are currently playing, new and old, might be a nice idea!

I'm currently playing Rise of the Tomb Raider 20th Anniversary Edition on PC. Really enjoying it so far, the graphics look great maxed out at 1080p60. It's basically Uncharted, but with a bow! I enjoyed the 2013 reboot so getting this when I saw it for €22 was a no-brainer.

Played a bit of the first Sly Cooper on PCSX2 via Big Box aswell today, never played it before but always liked the look of those cel shaded graphics. Pretty fun do far ?

What are you guys playing?

Are the Tony Hawk games better on GC/Dolphin than on PS2/PCSX2?

That's a question I've been meaning to ask on the forums actually, is emulation better with Dolphin for multiformat games? PCSX2 seems to require a bit of fiddling around with settings in different games where as Dolphin seems to "just work."

What do you guys think?

So I completed Rise of the Tomb Raider, been off sick from work a few days so this helped to keep me occupied. 

I enjoyed the game, it wasn't quite Uncharted 4, but very enjoyable. The dlc that came with the 20th Anniversaty Edition was ok, I guess. I am only ever interested in story dlc and none of the "horse armour" rubbish. The Baba Yaga dlc was pretty cool but the Blood Ties dlc, where you wander around Croft Manor reading documents, was as exciting as it sounds.

All in all, a good game, probably not worth getting the dlc. Same with most games really. 

I picked up Dark Souls 3 Deluxe Edition (DS3 + Season Pass) on sale for $48 a couple weeks ago and have been playing it pretty non-stop since then. Love it (and the entire series).

3 hours ago, Charco said:

the Blood Ties dlc, where you wander around Croft Manor reading documents, was as exciting as it sounds.

I guess it depends on how interested you are in the setting/lore. Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force had an expansion pack (back in the day before we had "DLC" they came on their own disc!) and one of the additions it brought was a "Virtual Voyager" mode that let you wander around the ship and talk to people and read logs and stuff. I actually...enjoyed that way more than I probably should. But then again, I'm a hardcore Trekkie so it's something I already have a preexisting interest in. If that weren't the case, I could see it being really boring.

I still need to pick up Rise of the Tomb Raider. I enjoyed Tomb Raider (2013) quite a bit.

• Like 1

Decided to take a break from 3rd person action adventure games after completing Uncharted 1, 2, and 4, The Last of Us Remastered, and Rise of the Tomb Raider by trying out The Walking Dead Season 1.

I played the first chapter this evening and I'm really enjoying it so far. It reminds me of old school point and click adventure games like Monkey Island only the choices you make affect the story and how characters react to you. I'm really looking forward to episode 2 tomorrow and I'm glad I got both seasons for €7!

• 2 weeks later...

So I just finished The Walking Dead Season One, an enjoyable if rather depressing experience! The ending was pretty sad but I had a feeling it was always going to be that way.

Looking forward to playing Season Two but I think I'll take a break for a while and play something different. I still have Arkham Origins Blackgate in my library after being given a code for it and all the Arkham games from WB Games after the Arkham Knight pc port debacle. Might be a nice change of pace :)

I've been playing the hell out of The Technomancer. I picked it up 3 days ago in the Steam sale and have put 24 hours into it in that time haha. It, like the rest of Spiders' games, wasn't particularly well-received by critics but also like those games I've been having a blast with it. Spiders tends to make games that are flawed but full of heart and character. I've come to the conclusion that I just have a penchant for imperfect games whose good qualities vastly outshine the bad. Some of my favorite games of all time fall into that category - Anachronox, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Arx Fatalis, Gothic II, Stalker: Call of Pripyat, the Metro series... they all have some very real problems but are absolutely fantastic in spite of that. I'd put Spiders' games squarely into that category, and among their games I think The Technomancer is probably my favorite. If you like Bioware-esque choice and consequence RPGs, and you like science fiction with some interesting world-building and lore, you might want to check it out. It's the sort-of sequel to their game Mars: War Logs (which I also liked a lot) but I wouldn't say you have to play that game first - the plot isn't really related to that game, but there are some shared concepts between them (and, of course, they're both set on Mars).

Just got done with Uncharted 4 on the PS4 ( I know I am a late one to the party on that one) and it was simply a masterpiece of a game as I always expect from the Uncharted games. I am also currently right now going back and replaying through 2 PC classics which are Star Trek Voyager Elite Force and Star Wars Jedi Knight II.