LaunchBox Community Forums

What are you playing at the moment?

Charco

2 hours ago, kmoney said:

I am also currently right now going back and replaying through 2 PC classics which are Star Trek Voyager Elite Force and Star Wars Jedi Knight II

Both are awesome games! Elite Force 2 is actually really good too. Unfortunately neither one seems to be available anywhere digitally (I'm sure it's a licensing thing) so you're limited to physical copies currently :(

It's really a shame because I'm sure there are groups that would love to re-release them. Night Dive Studios (the guys that port a lot of the older PC games that you'll see on GOG and Steam) worked for years to be able to re-release No One Lives Forever and No One Lives Forever 2, but it's tied up in license limbo so it's basically impossible. NOLF 2 is one of my favorite FPSs of all time (and the first one's great too). I think it's a complete shame that there are people that'll never get to play these because of this kind of nonsense :( I'm hanging on to my physical copies for dear life.

• Like 1

I agree as I was lucky to find those 2 games locally at a yard sale a few years ago. Its a shame that some of these great games you cannot get digitally such as Elite Force 2 through Steam or GOG. It took a little bit of work to get Elite Force 2 to work on Windows 10 but once I did it works great and even looks good on a widescreen monitor @ 1080P when you make some changes in the cfg file manually. I have yet to play No One Lives Forever 1 or 2 but I just looked it up and it looks like a great game that is my style.:) I know a lot of these games were ported over to the PS2 but most of the time the PC port is always better.

Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, The Mass Effect Trilogy (I've never made it past the 1st one yet), various SNES RPGs, planning on playing SSF2T on Fightcade again after a very long absence, Dragon's Age Inquisition, Metal Gear Solid 3 (only one I haven't played yet besides 5 which I don't have yet).

It's no wonder it takes me forever (sometimes years) to finish a game (and why I have a huge number of games on Steam I've never even installed yet).

I finished up The Technomancer over the weekend; ended up at 34.8 hours and I did basically every quest (except for the ones for the Vory, because they're a bunch of a-holes). I really enjoyed it - not perfect by any stretch but very enjoyable. It's got a cool setting, good characters and story, good character progression and crafting, and really fun combat. The only major complaint I have is that the side quests involve way too much backtracking through the same areas over and over, where you'll end up fighting the same respawning enemies over and over. It might not have been as bad had I not done every quest, but I don't think that's really an excuse - the content's there so there's no reason to let it slide just because it's optional. It didn't bother me too much at first but by the end of the game it starts to wear on you - I just kindof groaned "Welp...back to Ophir again I guess...". The ending's not amazing either - it's too abrupt as far as I'm concerned. I think what bothered me about it was that it kindof summarizes the ramifications of your decisions throughout the game (and not just the ones you made in the last 30 seconds, which I appreciated) but it doesn't really go into detail about what happens to your fellow party members afterwards, which frankly I would have found more interesting than the resolution to the actual overarching plot. It mentions a few of them briefly, but I felt like there was still a lot of stuff unresolved with them. Overall, I still enjoyed my time with it - I'd recommend it at a sale price. I got it for $17 on sale and don't regret it.

GOG had the DLC for The Witcher 3 on sale recently so I picked those up. I put quite a few hours into The Witcher 3 last year (I was level 17) but never beat it. I decided this would be a good opportunity to just start over from scratch so that's what I've been playing - currently level 7. I really love that game - I just have the tendency of going full-bore OCD-must-do-everything-mode in these games and in a game the size of The Witcher 3 that's kindof an unhealthy approach, which led to burn-out last go round. I guess I'll have to do a better job of pacing myself this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Was just going to start this topic myself.  Right now I'm currently playing Godzilla and Boomer's Adventure in ASMIK World both for Gameboy.  Boomer I'm enjoying and will finish it off tonight.  Godzilla not so much.  Oh and Rampage for NES with my wife.  We are on day 75ish.  She's growing tired of the repetitiveness so I'll likely end up finish that one up on my own.

does anybody else have a similar "games beaten" list?  Not sure when I started tracking or if I've forgotten to put something down but this is where I keep track of my games that I beat.  I'm sure there are others as weird as me that do this here right?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19W75hWyut16yilfyOXe3DIWYE901qrQQkniKyqxlP9Y/edit?usp=sharing

I finished the main quest of Witcher 3 last night, at 101 hours and got the "good" ending (subjective I suppose). I did all of the side quests/hunts, and all the points of interest in Velen/Novigrad/Kaer Morhen and about half of the points of interest in Skellige (there's a metric crap-ton of smuggler's caches and the like in Skellige which I haven't done yet). I just started the first expansion - Hearts of Stone - last night. I have no intention of putting the game down any time soon.

I have to say, I think it might be my favorite game ever. Top 5 at least. I've played through 1 and 2 as well, both of which are very good, but 3 is just on a whole other level. It's just... so good. There are games that have better combat, better horse controls (probably the single worst element in W3), and worlds that are marginally more "open" but I'm having a very hard time thinking of single games that pull off what W3 does as well as it does in one package. Visually speaking, it's a masterpiece both aesthetically and graphically. It has phenomenal voice acting, supported by some great facial animation that manages to convey a degree of subtlety and range of emotion better than many games (and the only games that I can think of that do it better are ones that are significantly more linear and where every single scene is mocapped). It has fantastic storytelling with actual moral dilemmas (not the kind of "Hey do you want to be a really-nice-hero or a kindof-a-douche-bag-but-still-totally-a-hero?" approach that Bioware has adopted circa Mass Effect) that frequently don't have "good" choices and instead you're left choosing between the lesser of evils (and even that's often highly debatable) and those choices have very real and serious ramifications hours down the road. It has an incredible soundtrack. It has a great cast of characters that you actually care about. Virtually no one is a shallow caricature of tropes or pure evil/good just for its own sake - some incredibly reprehensible characters have good (or at least empathy-inducing) sides and vice versa. Plotlines often play out in surprising, unpredictable ways - things frequently went in directions that I didn't at all anticipate, with comical outcomes to seemingly serious situations and some lighthearted moments that take a shockingly dark turn. The quality of writing all around is just amazing - other games should take notes on how to do side-quests properly - it's been said elsewhere but the side quests here are of a higher quality than the primary story arcs of many other games. It all comes together to form an extremely cohesive, immersive world that's easy to lose yourself in.

I really really love The Witcher 3.

There were a few brief diversions here and there but basically just W3. I think one of its greatest strengths is that you don't have to invest that much time if you want to - if you just want to go through the main story you could probably do that in about 30 hours; but there's so much to see and do off the beaten path and the quality of that content doesn't waver whether it be a momentous battle taking place in the primary story arc or a smaller moment between characters. And those optional moments, from a world-building and immersion perspective, are just as important as the main narrative; and the quality of writing is indistinguishable from one to the other. I think it does a great job of making you want to explore and interact with the world, because it's consistently interesting and compelling.

Honestly 101 hours isn't anything too crazy. I've probably got 500+ hours in Diablo 3. I'm sure I've got a couple hundred in Overwatch. I was big into FF XIV for a long time - I have no idea how many hours I have in that but it's in the hundreds.

According to my Steam library, I've got 314 in Borderlands 2, 301 in Left 4 Dead, 231 in Skyrim, 202 in Borderlands, 190 in The Secret World, 188 in Path of Exile, 171 in Dark Souls...

I do like me dem vidjergames!

Yesterday beat Alex Kidd in Shinobi World which was a lot of fun but easy enough to beat in one play through and Virtua Fighter Animation which was awful.  Both for SMS.  Also got my daughter Just Dance 2016 for her Bday on Sunday and it was our first experience with that series.  We will now forever be playing that. 

Finished these SMS games off over the past two days.  Bomber Raid was lots of fun a pretty tame shooter compared to others that I've played.  Deep Duck was fun but really slow.  For a while I thought there was something wrong with the causing the game to slow down.  

Taz-Mania
Bomber Raid
Bonkers: Wax Up!
Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck

Just finished up Air Rescue and Master of Darkness today.  Air Rescue was lots of fun with a maddeningly frustrating final level.  Master of Darkness is a Castlevania clone that I had a lot of fun playing.  Really enjoying my time digging into the Sega Master System the past few weeks.

Edited by heelsinc

I've been playing D3 again lately since patch 2.4.3 just released and they're doing an anniversary event throughout January that lets you go through a portal and it turns everything into what my friend and I refer to as "shit-o-vision" where the colors are all dithered to look like 256 color mode, the animations are stilted and have reduced frames, and it uses a lot of sound effects from D2 and even changes the font for pickups to the D2 font. It's pretty neat. Also the Necromancer is releasing soon so that news has gotten me back into it.

I mentioned having "500+ hours" in it before but that was just a guess. I had forgotten that they actually have a breakdown of time played per-class in your profile so I gave that a look-see. Oh boy was that a bad idea...

Barbarian - 185H 20M
Crusader - 205H 30M
Demon Hunter - 78H 30M
Monk - 430H 24M
Witch Doctor - 67 16M
Wizard - 118H 43M

Total: 1085H 43M

I do like murderin' da monsters and gettin' da sweet lootz :P

I guess it's just that it's a bit of a "palate cleanser" game for me. It's one of those games that I can throw in basically any time and be right at home and get right back into it. I have a few other such games but most are C64 games - Ballblazer, Bruce Lee, Choplifter, Ducks Ahoy, Impossible Mission, The Last Ninja, Lazy Jones, Master of the Lamps, Montezuma's Revenge, Rescue on Fractalus, Supremacy, Times of Lore... I can throw these in any time on any day of the week, turn my brain semi-off, and have a great time.

Lately I've also been playing the Amiga version of another of my childhood C64 favorites - Hacker. I love the C64 version and the Amiga port is actually very good too.