LaunchBox Community Forums

Coverflow not smooth on powerful computer

Immortal Chortle

18 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

Ah yea, I didn't even think to go down that route either, file system and if it's MBR or GPT.

All of mine are GPT.

Heres a thought: could it have something to do with the fonts? I started experimenting with them and noticed it changed performance noticeably. It even crashed a few times for the first time ever when I switched to arial. 

Edited by Immortal Chortle

MBR/GPT really should have nothing to do with it, but the file system is still an important consideration. File system would be NTFS, FAT32, exFAT, etc., which is separate from the partition table (MBR/GPT). The partition table doesn't really come into play during every day reads and writes, but the file system most definitely does.

Per fonts, good question. I haven't done any significant testing with changed fonts in Big Box, though honestly it doesn't make a whole lot of sense why a font would cause performance issues.

I apologize for the late reply.  All my drives on Windows are NTFS, and the particular drive I had Launchbox on was a Western Digital.  I'm not sure how much the model matters, as the drive I transferred it to is the same make and model and worked perfectly.  I apologize, I'd get the drive model and include it anyway, but I've badly injured my leg, and can't get down on the ground to open my case and fiddle about with the drive bay.

Well to continue down the drive make and model line, do you happen to know if it's 5400RPM? It being a green drive vs a blue or a black WD can also make a huge difference in how it handles power consumption and performance. If it's on a SATA2, or even worse a SATA1 line, performance can also degrade. Even if the port is a SATA3 port, if the cable or drive are lower SATA then it won't matter. The drive, cable and port would all have to be SATA3. In the video that I posted, it does show that in terms of performance for reading your library CPU is most important as it pings the most, and while super fast hard drives may not improve performance too much, a super slow drive can more easily effect it in the opposite. I actually have my stuff on a 5400RPM 8TB SATA3 drive. I wish it was at least 7200RPM, but for the price per GB it was pretty fantastic to have it in an 8TB form, and it seems to do the job just fine. It will take a second to boot open if it's been left un-used for any length of time, but I can help that a bit I believe with some software tweaks.

1 minute ago, SentaiBrad said:

Well to continue down the drive make and model line, do you happen to know if it's 5400RPM? It being a green drive vs a blue or a black WD can also make a huge difference in how it handles power consumption and performance. If it's on a SATA2, or even worse a SATA1 line, performance can also degrade. Even if the port is a SATA3 port, if the cable or drive are lower SATA then it won't matter. The drive, cable and port would all have to be SATA3. In the video that I posted, it does show that in terms of performance for reading your library CPU is most important as it pings the most, and while super fast hard drives may not improve performance too much, a super slow drive can more easily effect it in the opposite. I actually have my stuff on a 5400RPM 8TB SATA3 drive. I wish it was at least 7200RPM, but for the price per GB it was pretty fantastic to have it in an 8TB form, and it seems to do the job just fine. It will take a second to boot open if it's been left un-used for any length of time, but I can help that a bit I believe with some software tweaks.

I cant recall which colour it is - I literally cant bend down to look either.  It's definitely 7200 ... I would never use a 5400 in a Desktop.  The drive seems in good form, I run battlefield 4 off of it right now.

2 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

Then I am becoming increasingly more and more confused.

As am I.  Doesn't matter where it is now, even on my ssd's ... Performance goes back to slow.  I'm going to wait for the next update, and see what happens.  If all works(BC I'm using beta channel) I'll be happy and turn beta updates off.  If it's still slow, I'll probably shelf it for 3-6 months and come back to it. 

Something weird is going is going on with your system then man. Coverflow view with high quality images is screaming fast and butter smooth on my main gaming system with the latest beta. On my shitty HTPC it's still too slow to be usable but I also don't expect that to be smooth considering how crappy the hardware is. But the boot time of Launchbox / Bigbox on that system is great and so is the basic test list view.

Alright guys...just installed my new 1070 and here is what I've found.

the images are loaded completely when going to the system. Before they would take a while to pop in. Now it's instant. Even when holding left or right and scrolling fast they don't pop in.

this was on the stable release.

also same performance on beta

Here's the thing. The damn cover flow and everything else is still very "jittery". Not smooth by any means. I changed the milliseconds to 300...still pretty crap. This is not only with cover flow but other views as well.

right now I'm moving from my "black" 7200 HDD to my SSD to see if that makes a difference. I don't think it will as I've come to the conclusion that it must be my processor...

i have no background apps running 

and im using default theme

Yea, like I said, GPU and Hard Drive will only have minor improvements. I did also say there is always speed improvements to be made, in the latest Beta, and in upcoming beta's, there are A TON of performance improvements. There's a report of a user with a 50k library going from 1-2 min start up, to sub 30 seconds. So some performance may be from recent beta's, and there is more to come.

But yea, I agree with Monkus, something funky might be going on in hardware or software not related to LB. The 1070 can help, it will help most with Big Box because of XAML, but the images and cache is still CPU, RAM and HDD specific. If all your images are not re-cached fully and there is some stuttering, that could be why. I do feel bad that's it's not working like how you expected, I'll be honest in saying that at first I thought it might have just been differences in expectations, it usually is, but I do think that there might be something more underlying here and I have zero clue as to what it could be now, just shy of failing hardware. The only thing left to be replaced on your machine is RAM and CPU, then you more or less have a brand new machine. If you are hell bent on trying to fix this issue, I would try replacing RAM first as it's significantly cheaper, and I have heard some odd stories of RAM screwing with a system and programs because one stick is failing. I am just grasping at straws here though.

If you do buy replacement ram, check to see if your motherboard is set up as a dual or triple channel for the RAM. If it's dual, 2 sticks of RAM will perform better actually. If it's triple, which is rare now days, then 3 sticks will perform better. They just need to be on the same set of DIMM slots. So mine is dual channel with 4 slots, and my 2 16GB Sticks are on the same pair of dimm slots. If I get a RAM Upgrade, it'd be the same exact RAM on the other 2 slots. I don't think 2 vs 1 for RAM will solve the issue, but if you are looking to replace it in the long run, double check and go from there.

4 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

Something weird is going is going on with your system then man. Coverflow view with high quality images is screaming fast and butter smooth on my main gaming system with the latest beta. On my shitty HTPC it's still too slow to be usable but I also don't expect that to be smooth considering how crappy the hardware is. But the boot time of Launchbox / Bigbox on that system is great and so is the basic test list view.

Its happening with all three of my computers and the only similarity between them is Win 7 64x with varying degrees of configuration. One is stock windows and the other two were freshly installed and customized with that black viper guide that was posted earlier. I am confident there is a solution to this.

Trust me when I say that the difference in performance between Win7 and Win10 is substantial. That said, I do recognize that CoverFlow performance needs improved even on Win10. It's smooth on high-end systems but quickly degrades on lower hardware levels.

I'll come back to this at some point soon to see if I can speed it up.