LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch Startup Guide w/ Pictures

Lordmonkus

It didn't used to be, but it's in the core list in the Windows client now. Like I said, I haven't tested it yet. I've got 5 games (out of 400+) that don't actually work in Mednafen so I figured I'd try them out with it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

• 8 months later...

After many years of using dedicated emulators I decided to give Retroarch a go.
I've started with the Playstation and have tried out 6 games. They all load and play perfectly (video and audio) when using the beetle psx core and also the beetle psx hw core, but sometimes during the intro and loading screens I briefly get the following on-screen message:
Slow CD image read detected - consider using async or precache CD access method.

I don't notice anything behaving slowly.

The only mention of CD access method I could find is in the retroarch-core-options config file. This is set by default as sync.
Is this what the message is advising me to change?

Hmm, I haven't looked at the PSX core options in a while and by the looks it has changed a little. There used to be a "Pre cacheCD" option where the emulator loaded the disk image to memory which took a small amount of extra time on the initial load (nothing significant) but sped up the disk access a lot during game play.

It seems now that is gone and there is the new CD Access Method so yeah I would assume that is exactly what that message is referring to. Try setting that to async and see if you get any issues or messages.

Edit: There is a precache option in that setting as well, I would probably start with the precache one myself since I always turned that on before.

• Like 1

I just did a quick test with it and seems to work exactly as it did before.

I also noticed a couple of extra things in the core options that I don't recall being there before like the analog toggle option. I think you used to have to go into the controller options and change that before which while not a big deal this new toggle on the controller is much more convenient.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Did you check the core controller options and make sure the 2nd player controller is enabled and set to the correct controller ?

Within the cores yes and they seem to work doing set up. I hit save core configuration as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

There isn't much to do really. For now though it is suggested to the DX11 over DX12 while they work some issues out.

One of the benefits of DX11 / 12 and Vulkan is that it removes the need for the Hard GPU Sync and Max Swap Chains settings since it handles that automatically for 0 CPU overhead.

Certain cores won't use DX11 / 12 yet since they are still GL dependent.

To use shaders with DX11 / 12 you need to use the Slang shaders, CG and GLSL don't work with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this.  I thought I had things set up quite well but it seems I can squeeze a little bit more out of it using some of the settings above.

Is Glupen64 still the emulator of choice for the N64?  I'm currently using Mupen64 and whilst things aren't perfect games are absolutely playable.

Cheers.