LaunchBox Community Forums

Guide: Cheap Arcade Light Guns with Touchemote

13 minutes ago, teeedubb said:

Thanks for the info guys, ill try this out whem i have some free time. Its a shame that 'modern' light guns dont compare to the ones from yesteryear. Ive been playing around with the psmove in a attempt to use it as a mouse/light gun (due to it being more accurate than a Wiimote), and while it works, it has some calibration and movement issues which I haven't been able to work out as of yet.

Oh really? I have a PSMove in a box somewhere that i could use. Could you provide any links on how you got it setup? Thanks.

On 5/26/2017 at 4:05 AM, tsoukkis said:

2. Narrow the values of the X axis in the settings.json file, to pretend that your monitor is not that wide. Lower the value for right limit, increase the value for left limit. Do some trial and error.

Another drawback with Touchmote, is that there is no calibration wizard.

The wizard will be simple and it is there in some Wii games (hit on top left, hit on top right).

But it needs some time and effort to develop that :S - for now I stick with editing the values in settings.json.

I'm beyond excited to see this thread picked back up a little bit. I haven't been around in a bit - but following on youtube with Wood's videos.

I'm going to try option 2, X and Y if its possible, area 51 is what I play alot of and have issues with. A calibration tool would be great.

The biggest issue for me (well one of the 2) is the player 2.. Mouse is nice and quick, the X,Y joystick for player 2 lags a bit always. That's where I wish it could be calibrated.

(The other issue I have with this setup is there  isn't a way for my 2 wiimote light guns with dolphin bar, dualshock using scp driver, xbox 360 controller any anything thing else to play nice together with teh way xinput works - you have to literally reconnect everything after a reset and play with device manager to use the 4 slots)

Hm, I have not noticed any lag on XInput mode - but this is probably because of me, not because it is not there. (I was quite happy with the line up working properly, and didn't pay attention to the lag).

3 hours ago, ThePolish said:

I'm beyond excited to see this thread picked back up a little bit. I haven't been around in a bit - but following on youtube with Wood's videos.

Which Wood's videos are you talking about? Provide a link...

18 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Oh really? I have a PSMove in a box somewhere that i could use. Could you provide any links on how you got it setup? Thanks.

I use the PSMoveService: https://github.com/cboulay/PSMoveService

Wiki with a setup guide: https://github.com/cboulay/PSMoveService/wiki

I have tried with both free camera drivers with the same results.

Discussion regarding using the PSMove as a mouse: https://bitbucket.org/hawkinse/psmovefreepiebridge/issues/14/psmove-as-a-light-gun-via-mouse-emulation

The two issues I have are the cursor drifting (I've tried re-calibrating very carefully, and while it helped, it still drifts) and when moving the cursor off screen and back again the cursor and PS move don't line up (its like the cursor stops at the edge of the screen but starts moving as soon as you move the PSMove back in the opposite direction)

3 hours ago, ThePolish said:

(The other issue I have with this setup is there  isn't a way for my 2 wiimote light guns with dolphin bar, dualshock using scp driver, xbox 360 controller any anything thing else to play nice together with teh way xinput works - you have to literally reconnect everything after a reset and play with device manager to use the 4 slots)

I have a similar setup and I have found the same, though the xb360 wireless + scp reloaded seem to play nicely, the dolphinbar gets preference over them so I just keep it disconnected unless Im using a wiimote.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tsoukkis said:

Hm, I have not noticed any lag on XInput mode - but this is probably because of me, not because it is not there. (I was quite happy with the line up working properly, and didn't pay attention to the lag).

Which Wood's videos are you talking about? Provide a link...

I'm just speaking of the normal updates from the LB youtube page

@teeedubb Thanks for the links ill have a look into this. :) 

and when moving the cursor off screen and back again the cursor and PS move don't line up (its like the cursor stops at the edge of the screen but starts moving as soon as you move the PSMove back in the opposite direction)

This is exactly how my airmouse works also, so i think that is just "what they do" unfortunately.

37 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

@teeedubb Thanks for the links ill have a look into this. :) 

This is exactly how my airmouse works also, so i think that is just "what they do" unfortunately.

Ahhh I didnt know that.. never used a air mouse before. Since the PSMove worked well as a lightgun on the PS3 I was hoping to be able to replicate this on PC. Also, the wiimote in mouse mode with a dolphin bar doesnt have this issue, so I guess its possible to do with that type of hardware

Edited by teeedubb

46 minutes ago, teeedubb said:

Ahhh I didnt know that.. never used a air mouse before. Since the PSMove worked well as a lightgun on the PS3 I was hoping to be able to replicate this on PC. Also, the wiimote in mouse mode with a dolphin bar doesnt have this issue, so I guess its possible to do with that type of hardware

Yeah i used PSMove with house of the dead overkill on PS3 and it worked great, that's why i want to try it on PC.

21 hours ago, tsoukkis said:

I did some testing yesterday with my code.

Left Stick is not working properly - I have to check my code.

So, for now, P1 as mouse, P2 as Right Stick.

Yes... I noticed this. It seems to be moving both left and right stick at the same time. Right stick is fine.

On 5/29/2017 at 3:03 AM, teeedubb said:

I have a similar setup and I have found the same, though the xb360 wireless + scp reloaded seem to play nicely, the dolphinbar gets preference over them so I just keep it disconnected unless Im using a wiimote.

I didn't realize the dolphin bar got preference, I may have to physically do the same thing if a software solution isn't available. Biggest headache for me is having to remap mame or heaven forbid supermodel after a pc reset. 

21 minutes ago, ThePolish said:

I just picked up 2 nyko perfect shots at game stop for 5 a piece, spray painted them black and they've worked great since.

5 a piece?! Where is this stop?!

I have two completely junk "guns" from eBay...

These are not very nice. I had to mod them a bit, for the trigger button to get pressed all the way, but for sure, not something as nyko perfect shot!

But for sure, better than creating a mod from custom materials! :)

28 minutes ago, Tomkun said:

Although, I am having trouble with the nunchuck joystick. Nothing seems to register, but the c and Z buttons are working fine. Anyone else having that issue?

Hm, nunchuck is another story. I don't know how easy it is, but since C and Z are working fine, I can live with it!!!

6 minutes ago, tsoukkis said:

Haha, they were used at a local Ohio Gamestop store. They're not nice and heavy like an arcade lightgun, but feel almost balanced with the wiimote inserted. Could probably be better if I put a small weight on the bottom of the mag well .

1 hour ago, tsoukkis said:

I have two completely junk "guns" from eBay...

These are not very nice. I had to mod them a bit, for the trigger button to get pressed all the way, but for sure, not something as nyko perfect shot!

But for sure, better than creating a mod from custom materials! :)

Hm, nunchuck is another story. I don't know how easy it is, but since C and Z are working fine, I can live with it!!!

It doesn't happen to be these guns: LINK

1 hour ago, ThePolish said:

Haha, they were used at a local Ohio Gamestop store. They're not nice and heavy like an arcade lightgun, but feel almost balanced with the wiimote inserted. Could probably be better if I put a small weight on the bottom of the mag well .

Dang. These are pretty hard to find online now except for a bunch of used ones on ebay. Going to try a GameStop after work.

5 hours ago, imdavid555 said:

It doesn't happen to be these guns: LINK

I got a casing like the one you linked and am happy with it. It feels solid and has a bit of weight to it. I also got a Wii sharpshooter casing as some Wii shooters use both controllers.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else using Windows 10?  I attempted this the other night and was unable to have Mame recognize my WIimote but I may try again from scratch.  

Edit:  Got the Wiimote to work with the exception of the +, -, 1, and 2 buttons.  Tried to map them to the keyboard in an effort to start the game and add coins with the + and - buttons for some reason it won't work.  Still, this is a lot of fun!

Edited by SirTay