LaunchBox Community Forums

Importing ScummVM for use in Launchbox via Rocketlauncher - A Tutorial

JaysArcade

I've updated the video tutorial for setting up ScummVM with Launchbox and Rocketlauncher. Please let me know if you find that it doesn't work or you run into any issues with the new video. Your voice is heard here. Thanks.

Go to this link for the files used in this video. https://mega.nz/#!m8ZVSS7Z!GCNRE6b_MvY3CcfV_t_qSb5cSFcM0AtA4xyZTtjvZkU

I've read that some people are having issues using ScummVM within Launchbox. I understand Jason has some potential fixes in mind to make importing ScummVM a simpler process (hell, he may have already fixed this for all I know), but in the mean time, you can still use ScummVM if you use Rocketlauncher with Launchbox. Hopefully, this tutorial will still be relevant once Launchbox is in a place where it can natively open ScummVM titles without making you jump through a bunch of extra hoops. I think it will still be useful since Rocketlauncher gives us the ability to use bezels and fade screens. It is my hope that in the future, Launchbox will have features that supplant the need to use Rocketlauncher at all, but until then, using Rocketlauncher to do some of this stuff is your best option. 

It was my intention while creating this tutorial to make it easy to understand. I have tried to go from beginning to end to show how to get things running. What I have not shown is how and where to download Launchbox, Rocketlauncher, or the the ScummVM roms (7z files) from or how to install them. I have also not shown how to set up fade screens, bezels, pause or any other features in Rocketlauncher, although I do show a brief demo of some of those features in action. I may make a video in the future showing you how to set those up, but for now, this tutorial is all I have planned. I can probably answer any basic questions you may have about setting this up, but in all honesty, you are probably better off going to the Rocketlauncher forum for Rocketlauncher specific problems.

Hope this is a big help to you guys.

Edited by JaysArcade
Corrections in latest video.
  • Like 1

Sweet! I very much appreciate the help! You are right in that Jason wants to improve ScummVM, and it's becoming a heavily requested revision, but he just hasn't gotten there yet and that is why I was asked to hold off on it or I would have had something ready to go already. I'm also famously (or infamously?) not a RL person, so I welcome the extra view for someone who is an RL person. I may not like it or thing it has it's place, but I know that there are a ton of people who do want it or do like to use it, but for me to create a tutorial with it would be disingenuous. So when a section of the audience that I can't help is helped, I am very much excited! This is awesome. There have been others who have created tutorials, of course we have Monkus who I couldn't ever thank enough, but we also get users who do tutorials in other languages than English which is also amazing. Anyone who takes the time to dedicate a portion of their life to genuinely help all of us out gets thumbs up from me.

• Like 1

Maybe you should submit a question about this in the troubleshooting section of the Launchbox Games Database section of the forum. I bet this issue is unknown and could be addressed on the database side. Someone might already have a solution set up for this we don't know about.  http://forums.launchbox-app.com/forum/72-troubleshooting/ 

Well that's new, a PS1 game in ScummVM? If it's using regular names now though, most of them are from DOS, so you can scrape your ScummVM platform as DOS, however that doesn't fix an apparent PS1 game? If it's using regular names now though, for everything, this makes Jason and I much much more excited and makes our job easier as there wont need to be any internalization. However, we don't have media for ScummVM because it's not a platform, it's an emulator. We're getting away from platforms based on arcade boards or emulators, and this wouldn't be much different. However, ScummVM doesn't get separated out like MAME can, and you can create as many custom platforms as you want with MAME Games, and just scrape them as properly. You can do this here, if you don't mind multiple ScummVM Categories. Put all DOS ScummVM games in a platform and scrape it as DOS, put all PS1 ScummVM games in a platform and scrape it as PS1. As a combined platform, that's a trickier thing to do.

On 12/11/2016 at 1:20 AM, SentaiBrad said:

I'll laugh and pretend I know who the hell that is. It reminds me of the 80's and Back to the Future Part 2's odd view of the future though. xD

Who doesn't know Max Headroom?! I mean what's next, you gonna tell me you don't know about Tekwar or Johnny Mnemonic either? These are magnum opuses of cinema.

Now that VR is actually kindof a thing, maybe the internet will finally look like a PS1 cinematic. The future is here!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi Jay,

Thank you so much fir the video! I love RocketLauncher. 

Looking for some help with ScummVM. I have downloaded the exact same romset you used and can't seem to get it to work.

I have tried through RocketLauncher using the ScummVM.exe within LaunchBox - When I do this I get an AHK error and it says maybe it isn't the right version.

If I setup ScummVM as the emulator through LaunchBox and try to run a game, it seems like nothing happens.

My roms are 7z but I have both RocketLauncher and LaunchBox unzipping them first.

Am I missing something? Does ScummVM need to play the game normal before it will load via RL?

Also - The occasional game will load (like Monkey Island 2) but then I get an error within ScummVM saying "Error running game: Game data not found".

Not sure what I am missing. 

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

You shouldn't need to load the games in ScummVM first.

Did you by any chance ever try to set up ScummVM in Rocketlauncher in the past? It almost feels to me like Rocketlauncher is looking at a different ScummVM exe or maybe the romset you are using is not fully compatible with the Launchbox included ScummVM executable. Are you using the Hyperspin set found on PD from 2013? I believe that is the set I'm using. If you previously tried and failed to get ScummVM running in your setup, maybe Rocketlauncher is still hanging on to the old unsuccessful settings you tried.

You say you are having RocketLauncher AND Launchbox unzip the files? You should only have Rocketlauncher unzip the 7z's. Open your Rocketlauncher settings in Launchbox and make sure the "Extract Rom archives before running" checkbox is unchecked.

If none of this helps, you may need to run troubleshooting logs and post them over on the RL Forums. Hope you can get it working and get that new @RetroHumanoid ScummVM pause media installed.

RL settings in LB.png

• Like 1

I personally have had to always scan a game into scummvm before the program actually would load it. If ScummVM is throwing the error,and you did not scan them in,therefore it did not add them to the ScummVM.ini file....I will just assume that's the problem. I don't use zip files for dos,or scummvm though...so I can't guarantee that is your issue...but,just a hunch.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, RetroHumanoid said:

I personally have had to always scan a game into scummvm before the program actually would load it. If ScummVM is throwing the error,and you did not scan them in,therefore it did not add them to the ScummVM.ini file....I will just assume that's the problem. I don't use zip files for dos,or scummvm though...so I can't guarantee that is your issue...but,just a hunch.

If I unzip what file would I load into launchbox? Is there a specific extension that only exists 1 per game?

Can I use your acummvm.ini or someone else's that works? Like Jays?

that may prevent me from needing to load each one. 

you don't have to do them individually...hover over the add game button and press (cntrl or shift,i don't remember) and it will change to mass add....click it and point it to your folder that has all your scummvm games in it. unfortunately we cant share the ini because it describes the game paths,which are surely different for most of us.

• Like 1