LaunchBox Community Forums

Open - ould be nice to have audio/soundtrack support for the DB - Issue #354

cammelspit

A few may have noticed that I have kind of been on a rampage of making soundtracks for games in the downloads/game media section. I know there might be bandwidth issues and you don't do game videos on the DB but if there were a way to add these full soundtracks to the DB so they could be downloaded from LBDB and not just from EmuMovies, that would be great. The thing is, EmuMovies, as it's name implies, is mostly about videos and images. The files they have for audio are sometimes just random snippets from somewhere, anywhere in the game, they lack, a lot of the time, the title theme and they do not have any more that that one MP3. Would be kick ass if myself and others could start really cranking these soundtracks out en' mass and adding them. I think it would really upgrade the whole LB/BB experience a lot.

What do you guys think?

I would be concerned about the Copyright as well, more severely than roms and bios ironically. Nintendo is NOTORIOUS for this. So for the time being I would highly advise against this. In the mean time, I am sure @circo would be just as happy if we helped them out and outfitted their service. We're already tapped in to the API, the music is available for free (I believe) through LB, so why don't we clean up a source we use? Circo would absolutely love the help I am sure.

Good point guys. I don't always think about it, but yes, there is a difference between fair use of images for archival purposes and distributing the game's actual content (soundtracks). As much as I would like to be able to distribute them, I'm sure we're under legal obligation not to. Sadly we should probably stop hosting them here. :/

• Like 1

Oh really... @Jason Carr If you guys are legitimately going to need to kill them, then I wouldn't know where else to put them. I don't have an EmuMovies Premium yet and IIRC there is no place for whole soundtracks anyways. That would bite but I understand if you find it necessary. Should I just stop uploading them right now or is there still a discussion that needs to take place beyond this?

EDIT: Because obviously, we don't want LB to get into any legal problems because of this...

Edited by cammelspit

Truthfully I think the first step would be a take down notice and if you complied there wouldn't be any legal repercussions that's if you were even contacted which I seriously doubt would happen.

@cammelspitIf you do do more of these but can't host them here I'd still be interested in getting some more if you kept working on them

Edited by DOS76

@DOS76 I am certainly going to keep going if for nothing but myself personally. My original goal was to have a full soundtrack for every game for every system I have on my favorites list. I just don't want to keep going through the effort of zipping them and uploading them all here if they are going to have to be pulled.

I also agree that we probably wouldn't need to worry at this point really. You are also right that they would put out a cease and desist notice before actually taking legal action. I will hold off on uploading anymore until I get a solid answer on if it is ok for me to keep going for now or not.

I'm not overly worried about getting into major legal trouble over it, but as a company we should refrain from actively doing things that we know are illegal. So sadly, yes, we need to stop posting them and take them down on the forums. It's unfortunate but we make an active effort to be legit legally in everything we do, so we should do the same here.

Well, that's too bad for sure. @SentaiBrad mentioned getting @circo involved so there could be a place to put these. I would really like for that to happen so I could share as I go and make, what is sure to be hundreds more, available to the community. In the meantime, I will go on ahead and just archive them for myself and maybe look into some random file hosting site where I can drop them. Today is a sad day indeed... :(

• 4 months later...

vgmdb.net has the biggest list of video game soundtracks listing but they don't have a api that can but utilized. boo. they have

they have artwork, tracks listings and more including imports and links were to buy them.

But here is a link on how to use their website information to help the database to our advantage. VGMdb API

Edited by ffpoke
Added Link to searching vgmdb.net using http

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2016 at 11:41 PM, circo said:

Emumovies sync is setup for a single MP3 for each game.  If you submit content you get a full account no problem you just need to create a member support ticket at emumovies for access

I ran into a catch 22 there. I typically work on random images so uploading a bundle to their download section wouldn't make sense. They told me (in a ticket) to upload it via FTP, but I don't have FTP access as that appears to be a paid member function.

Regarding music though, I don't think this database would be the right place, not to mention disk space used by soundtracks is huge once they mount up. I run a game music website myself and have some idea about the logistics behind it all. Feel free to grab some if you need - https://retro.sx 

4 hours ago, Enverex said:

I ran into a catch 22 there. I typically work on random images so uploading a bundle to their download section wouldn't make sense. They told me (in a ticket) to upload it via FTP, but I don't have FTP access as that appears to be a paid member function.

Regarding music though, I don't think this database would be the right place, not to mention disk space used by soundtracks is huge once they mount up. I run a game music website myself and have some idea about the logistics behind it all. Feel free to grab some if you need - https://retro.sx 

Send me a message over at emumovies and I will upgrade you

• 4 months later...
  • Vlansix changed the title to Open - ould be nice to have audio/soundtrack support for the DB - Issue #354