LaunchBox Community Forums

Who has the largest collection currently standing in Launchbox?

cleverest

On 8/12/2018 at 9:25 AM, Dane said:

Do you have any kind of lightgun or are you just using a controller or mouse? I would love all the Wii games. Only thing with the Wii though is I would have to wait until Retroarch gets better compatibility for it as I try to only use MAME and Retroarch for everything.

I bought a brand new official WiiMote (£35) and a "Mayflash Dolphin Bar" (£16) which is the Bluetooth sensor that the WiiMote or Lightgun and other Wii peripherals work with and this is setup in the Dolphin emulator just by selecting "real WiiMote" in the control settings. It's really easy and it works great as well, better than I expected it to. You'd definitely need to use the Dolphin 5.0 emulator for it though I think. Dolphin is a BRILLIANT emulator. I'd go as far to say it is a masterpiece with the amount of stuff and complexity of the stuff it emulates.

Ahh man, I've had a lot of fun discovering all these Wii and WiiWare games. I never touched a Wii during the time it was around so it's fun been to go back and play the games with the actual controller the games were designed for. I'd say that Wii games are ones that don't themselves too seriously. Some of the shovelware is actually pretty fun lol.

In recent weeks, I played Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword for the first time ever and it is awesome with the WiiMote. You must use the WiiMote for it because of the way Link uses his sword which can't be emulated on a 360 Controller. There are two Wii House Of The Dead games which I've yet to try but I'm expecting them to be awesome!

Edited by JamesBond@ge
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 1:37 PM, harryoke said:

last time I played it my kids walked in the room just as I was engrossed in Barbie fashion princess :D 

Haha now I'm a Wii convert I'm all about the Barbie Fashion Princess, My Petz Horsez and My Petz Hamzter now. I blame that machine for the "brony" phenomena, but I just can't help it.......

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, gamerboii said:

Anyone have large Windows games collection? Just bought a 8tb only for pc games. They sure take up space.

The size of games goes hand-in-hand with more advanced graphics and technology. You could get quite a few games from the mid-90's for the size of GTA 5 :) MS-DOS-games or 3.x games are tiny, so if you want numbers, those are probably the way to go :)

• Like 1

I have only 8 and 16bit consoles systems. Full Sets and All JAP games are patched personally by me with at least "playable" patches. I love those games so much!

Thinking to switch those on Retropie and start modern consoles and systems with launchbox, but i don't know as the way LaunchBox handles multiple roms (for me, mostly translations) is unmatched and it's the reason i happily moved here

Ok I figured I would throw my stuff out there too ? Currently, with switch progression moving as fast as it is I went ahead and dropped those in there however you can subtract them from the number as technically it is not playable. All systems work, have overlays and look great in big box. However one thing I do want to do as time goes on is remove any games that don't have any form of video snaps, and actually fire up every single individual game to check compatibility and remove those as well...I figure with this many games in my system I could go ahead and scrap the 5% that don't play or have video snaps. Also this is with ALOT of the NFL,NBA,NHL games removed (I'm not a big sports game fan) Eventually I would like to have it where everything in big box is showing box art, video snaps, and is 100% playable. As for hard drives I currently have 1 - 8TB drive that contains all metadata and 90% of my roms currently I only have 200GB available free on that drive and I have another 4TB drive that I am using for "overflow" and I currently have 1.5TB free on that. All total were looking at close to 9TB of stuff. However, I can easily see this expanding by another 4TB or so as switch dumps keep happening and once the original XBOX is finally emulated. At this point, I'm close to wrapping up my 7 months of tinkering and getting ready to physically build my cabinet here soon. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 9.58.05 PM.png

• Like 1

I’ve got 3 8TB drives in a 15TB Raid 5 and about 12TB deduped using DiskZip Max (to save on space) in Console, Computer and Arcade Rome  from the 1st generation consoles up until the PS2 generation. Still gathering the PS3 and Xbox360 and Wii stuff but as they are DVD and Blu-ray size I decided to get every game for the PlayStation consoles and for other consoles only the exclusives so I don’t have duplicate titles. 

My profile has the link to my collection 

• Like 1

For people that want Flash games in launchbox there is a new proceft that aims to preserve the flash games for the future in launchbox. Alot of dedicated guys. The collection is currenlyat 4500 games and growing. Includes flash,java,shockwave,html5 and unity games.

Join their discord to see more about the project and how to help:

http://discord.gg/S9uJ794

Edited by gamerboii
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, gamerboii said:

For people that want Flash games in launchbox there is a new proceft that aims to preserve the flash games for the future in launchbox. Alot of dedicated guys. The collection is currenlyat 4500 games and growing. Includes flash,java,shockwave,html5 and unity games.

Join their discord to see more about the project and how to help:

http://discord.gg/S9uJ794

New patch out:

* The game count has broken 5,000. * We now support web-based Java games. * We have batch files to allow you to backup and restore Flash game saves. * We've reduced the size of the Infinity download; it's only 1.4GB now, much more reasonable. * About 50 games were broken in Infinity thanks to bad capitalization; that's fixed now. * And some other minor fixes.

• Thanks 1

Interesting, though I am wondering if the files will remain on archive.org forever. Infinity downloads the files as you start the game and when the files are taken down, the game is gone. On the other hand, this is gold for everyone with limited space. :)

Oh, and I know about the standalone Flashpoint as an option. Will be checking out both.

Edited by Scriven
Edit to add some info

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2018 at 4:08 AM, kiddanplay said:

Ok I figured I would throw my stuff out there too ? Currently, with switch progression moving as fast as it is I went ahead and dropped those in there however you can subtract them from the number as technically it is not playable. All systems work, have overlays and look great in big box. However one thing I do want to do as time goes on is remove any games that don't have any form of video snaps, and actually fire up every single individual game to check compatibility and remove those as well...I figure with this many games in my system I could go ahead and scrap the 5% that don't play or have video snaps. Also this is with ALOT of the NFL,NBA,NHL games removed (I'm not a big sports game fan) Eventually I would like to have it where everything in big box is showing box art, video snaps, and is 100% playable. As for hard drives I currently have 1 - 8TB drive that contains all metadata and 90% of my roms currently I only have 200GB available free on that drive and I have another 4TB drive that I am using for "overflow" and I currently have 1.5TB free on that. All total were looking at close to 9TB of stuff. However, I can easily see this expanding by another 4TB or so as switch dumps keep happening and once the original XBOX is finally emulated. At this point, I'm close to wrapping up my 7 months of tinkering and getting ready to physically build my cabinet here soon. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 9.58.05 PM.png

Hi! sorry to bother but what is the point in keeping Arcade collection and Final Burn collection? Isn't that the same Arcade games in both of them? Same with Sega Naomi, Delphine, etc. Or maybe You do not have Naomi games in Arcade platform collection? Maybe i miss something but this way theres a many duplicate games in Yours and others collection using the same game file from MAME collection.

41 minutes ago, vahacris said:

Hi! sorry to bother but what is the point in keeping Arcade collection and Final Burn collection? Isn't that the same Arcade games in both of them? Same with Sega Naomi, Delphine, etc. Or maybe You do not have Naomi games in Arcade platform collection? Maybe i miss something but this way theres a many duplicate games in Yours and others collection using the same game file from MAME collection.

What’s up man! Your not bothering at all...honestly I am still going through the build process and tweaking a bunch of stuff...initially I had a final burn set imported due to size then went with a full MAME set including CHDs and haven’t removed FBA yet thanks for the catch on that though! As for Naomi I did scrub my MAME setup to remove the Naomi games. MAME itself is a tricky animal to scrub and clean and separate per system...although with the new LB/BB 8.6 update I’m probably going to remove my arcade set completely update MAME and get the new rom pack and import again using the new features. 

As for other systems, there would be a significant time investment to scrub all duplicates from every system as the same game may have released on multiple platforms and some have different features or playability styles so you may have 5 duplicates of a game spanning multiple systems but without playing through each version you wouldn’t know which one to keep. Therefore your numbers will be inflated by 5 technically.