LaunchBox Community Forums

Who has the largest collection currently standing in Launchbox?

cleverest

You were warned because you offered to fill a hdd with copyrighted material and send it to someone else making profit or not doesn't make it any less illegal and that in itself was the issue. If you were living up to your user name anything like that would have been discussed in private and then there wouldn't have been any warning.

• Haha 2

Out of curiosity has anyone obtained a full PS2 library? I have been trying to get there for a couple of months now and gee it is time consuming. I have not seen a full set available, understandably so due to the size. So I have been acquiring them individually. I have 910 titles thus far but won't add them to LB until I am done. Boy oh boy I look forward to having all of that PS2 goodness!

5 hours ago, Dane said:

Out of curiosity has anyone obtained a full PS2 library? I have been trying to get there for a couple of months now and gee it is time consuming. I have not seen a full set available, understandably so due to the size. So I have been acquiring them individually. I have 910 titles thus far but won't add them to LB until I am done. Boy oh boy I look forward to having all of that PS2 goodness!

Don't know if it's Full... for sure all PAL,USA exclusive and some Jap

PS2.PNG

I have a full library of all consoles up to Ps2. I used windows deduplication so that I can store images without compressions but still save on more disk space than compression as it dedupes on the bit level. Let’s me save over 4TB vs undeduped for my current 16TB rom collection 

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

After 2 months or work and research...finally I got my Big Box ready: 83 different systems!!!!!! 

Arcade Classics (almost every arcade game ever made)
Funtech Super Acan
GCE Vectrex
Hartung Game Master
Jukebox
Magnavox Odyssey 2
Mattel Intellivision
Microsoft MSX
Microsoft MSX2
NEC PC Engine
NEC SuperGrafx
NEC TurboGrafx 16
Neo Geo
Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo 64
Nintendo DS
Nintendo Entertainment System
Nintendo Famicom
Nintendo Famicom Disk System
Nintendo Gameboy
Nintendo Gameboy Advance
Nintendo Gameboy Color
Nintendo Gamecube
Nintendo Pokemon Mini
Nintendo Satellaview
Nintendo Sufami Turbo
Nintendo Virtual Boy
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo Wii U
Philips VideoPac Plus G7400
Pinball FX2
RCA Studio II
Sega 32X
Sega CD
Sega Dreamcast
Sega Game Gear
Sega Genesis
Sega Mark III
Sega Master System
Sega Mega Drive
Sega Model 3
Sega Naomi
Sega Pico
Sega Saturn
Sega SG1000
Sinclair ZX Spectrum
Neo Geo AES
Neo Geo Pocket
Neo Geo Pocket Color
Sony Playstation
Sony Playstation 2
Sony Playstation Portable (PSP)
Sony Playstation Minis
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Tiger Game.com
Super 100 Colledctions
VTECH Creativision
Watara Supervision
Amstrad CPC
Amstrad GX4000
Arcade Classics
Atari 2600
Atari 5200
Atari 7800
Atari Jaguar
Atari Lynx
Bally Astrocade
Bandai WonderSwan
Bandai WonderSwan Color
Capcom Play System
Capcom Play System II
Capcom Play System III
Casio Loopy
Casio PV-1000
CAVE
ColecoVision
Commodore 64
Commodore Amiga
Daphne
Emerson Arcadia 2001
Entex Adventure Vision
Epoch Super Cassette Vision
Fairchild Channel F

On 10/22/2018 at 7:19 AM, misterlamide said:

I have a full library of all consoles up to Ps2. I used windows deduplication so that I can store images without compressions but still save on more disk space than compression as it dedupes on the bit level. Let’s me save over 4TB vs undeduped for my current 16TB rom collection 

I've never even HEARD OF THIS...I have Windows 8.1 (my preferred main OS), and my PS2 games are all .GZ compressed so after a small extraction during a launch of the game for the first time, there is no delay and I save some space...I wonder if this would save a lot more...any helpful guides to getting this working? Is it possible to gain a benefit on my already compressed .GZ roms? Thanks.

43 minutes ago, cleverest said:

I've never even HEARD OF THIS...I have Windows 8.1 (my preferred main OS), and my PS2 games are all .GZ compressed so after a small extraction during a launch of the game for the first time, there is no delay and I save some space...I wonder if this would save a lot more...any helpful guides to getting this working? Is it possible to gain a benefit on my already compressed .GZ roms? Thanks.

Ok, I am now intrigued as well by this "deduping" @misterlamide.

I would love more info; can this work with any type of file? CHDs for example? Is it lossless? How's the process of deduping done? Having the files deduped, can they be read anyways by the emus/cores?
I am all about reducing files size, but if this means that the games will be constantly uncompressing on each run, then this is not for me, as I would rather have more space taken than burden the drive with constant read/writes.

Thanks.

Edited by Kondorito

This forum goes into it it'.s called DiskZip Max

http://zipmagic.co/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=201

It basically leverages the data disk deduplication Microsoft uses for Windows Server 2012 R2 and up. The guys in that forum ported over the dll's and libraries into Windows 10/8 (since all Windows versions, server and client share the same core OS)

Currently Disk Deduplication saved 4TB versus NTFS file compression of my 15TB array (so my 15TB collection currently takes up 13TB with 2TB remaining. Only Images I'm missing are the Xbox 360/PS3/Nintendo Wii U stuff everything down I have currently

Since it works at the disk level as long as the Windows OS has the DiskZip Max driver and application then any application can read your disk so no worries about recompressing etc it runs as a service in the background and dedudupes on an interval in the background while you are reading/writing new files. It works great and because of it I simply uncompressed all my Roms so they are in native format and let the dedupe save me the space

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, misterlamide said:

This forum goes into it it'.s called DiskZip Max

http://zipmagic.co/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=201

It basically leverages the data disk deduplication Microsoft uses for Windows Server 2012 R2 and up. The guys in that forum ported over the dll's and libraries into Windows 10/8 (since all Windows versions, server and client share the same core OS)

Currently Disk Deduplication saved 4TB versus NTFS file compression of my 15TB array (so my 15TB collection currently takes up 13TB with 2TB remaining. Only Images I'm missing are the Xbox 360/PS3/Nintendo Wii U stuff everything down I have currently

Since it works at the disk level as long as the Windows OS has the DiskZip Max driver and application then any application can read your disk so no worries about recompressing etc it runs as a service in the background and dedudupes on an interval in the background while you are reading/writing new files. It works great and because of it I simply uncompressed all my Roms so they are in native format and let the dedupe save me the space

Thank you! I see how it works now. Gonna check that forum out.

4 hours ago, cleverest said:

@misterlamide 

My 8TB drive only has about 75GB free on it, if I install this and run the compression is it not going to be able to do anything on this drive due to the lack of available free space?

Should be enough in either case the program will tell you how much it needs and you can temporarily move the files to a temporary USB flash or something, dedupe then move the files back and dedupe the remaining files