LaunchBox Community Forums

Who has the largest collection currently standing in Launchbox?

cleverest

On 11/24/2018 at 3:15 PM, Chris Kant said:

i have nearby 25.000 games with around 17 TB of used storage for that. Ah, yes. over 70 System so far. I like to divide arcade systems instead of having them all under ARCADE like CPS 1 to 3, Model 1 to 3. or all the different Namco Systems 1868787098_Bildschirmfoto2018-11-24um15_14_57.thumb.png.59ce282b804b31b2651b580f865aba84.png

8.500 C64 and 2.500 Amiga games are also waiting to import but to match them with the GamesDB is horrible and I will wait until there is a easy to use solution for that.

I am also trying to match around 1.700 games with the DB. mostly MSX1 and 2 Games.

My Amiga collection is over 30000 roms, don't think anyone is a dublicate

Im going for all ADF's format

Close 120,000 with overall 146 systems, though I have some doubles and I count Steam, Uplay, Origin and GOG as separate platforms, which means a few more doubles. 26 of the platforms have at least one screenshot and/or cover missing, the rest has at least a single picture associated with each game. I'll add Origin, Switch and XBox One next with the latter two being just dummies which point to my gaming rack as I won't emulate any of them soon.

• Like 1

I struggled with having a complete set and then not having a complete set. For the older systems it was a bit easier to just have it as it didn't take much space up and not have to pick things out. As far PS1, dreamcast, etc when you use the right tools you can compress those sets like PS1 - PBP files and dreamcast - CHD files. It ends up saving alot of space and still maintain a full set. Aside from that I have picked the best of breed for PS2 and Wii so some of those can translate for an arcade cabinet and for a home console PC. Not really interested in WiiU as WiiU is the system Nintendo would like you to forget anyway. I will say that once I have a complete set and then the complete media its a huge weight off your shoulders knowing that your not looking around for other games you missed. Your done and you have your library now sit back and enjoy.

14 hours ago, Dan said:

Question is, how do you know when you have a complete set? What reference do you use? And are you talking complete set for just one region?

for NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis I went with what google or Wikipedia told me what was a full US set. If the number of files matched then I figured I had a full set.

5 minutes ago, Tatts4Life said:

for NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis I went with what google or Wikipedia told me what was a full US set. If the number of files matched then I figured I had a full set.

i do the same, and remove any multi cart games if they have single roms also, no need to have the same game 3 times in a set. my Japanese translations tend to be included in the game set apart from famicom and super famicom (as i class these as there own consoles rather then nes/snes)

So I used multiple methods. For starters I used the most recent HyperSpin XML List. Not saying this truly shows the fullest but I also hit a few different sites wiki, gamesdb, just googled for results to find a listing and went through it. I know it sounds tedious but once done your done. I do have full sets separate for non-english systems too instead of mixed in the main USA release Ex - SNES, SFC.  I can share with you my AUDIT LIST  if that helps to verify what you have and don't have.

FYI there is no right or wrong answer on how you want to setup your collection. Some people just want the top 10 games or maybe the games they played with while others just want it all. The size of games are generally not the issue until you get into later systems such as PS2, Wii but the media side of it takes up a fair amount of space and requires more time to collection. Price of hard drives are coming down (149 8TB external USB, 199 10TB external USB). I personally just want to have it all until I get to PS2 and beyond as those systems just have a ton of shovel ware and games I just don't care to sink tons of adult hours into but will spend time with the games I gear up with arcade, nes, ones, etc.

• 1 month later...

I have added some +50 systems and passed the 63000 mark

Most systems i got run with RA

Most sets are complete after hyperspin sets

Have japanese roms only on Nintendo 3DS, to lazy to sort them out

Seen some have 200 systems so got some left

image.thumb.png.3c98037e579849e5565a712a0a22f939.png

Edited by Zeaede

• 4 months later...
19 hours ago, cleverest said:

I will be building up to a 4-port Synology NAS solution in the new few months, planning on x4 8TB drives, running paritiy 1, so 24TB space total.

I hope I can afford it, haha.

If you are looking into NAS solutions, I would say that I recommend unRAID. At least I will say you should SERIOUSLY look into it. You won't have much more cost, depending on the HW you choose, but the expansion capabilities and other amazing things you can do far above and beyond your typical consumer grade NAS solution are many and they are varied. This is what my array looks like and it has taken me a year of just randomly dropping drives in there and such to get here so it let me spread the costs over a long time.

image.thumb.png.508d2c5a8c6735deb1c12b8798c6111b.png

Just food for thought!

• Thanks 1

I have two of my 10TB drives dedicated to be parity disks. This means any two drives can fail at the SAME TIME and the parity will emulate the missing drives. From there all you have to do it drop a new drive in their place and the system automatically rebuilds the data onto the new drives without any kind of interruption to functionality. Of course, DURING the rebuild process there is a pretty big performance hit and they can take a good 24 hours for commodity grade 10TB drives. With unRAID, it is not a RAID array at all so even if more drives fail than that, you don't lose ANY data on the good drives. So you can at least perform a partial recovery if it comes down to that. I just toss data at it like a mad man and it just keep purring like a kitten. I get the cheapest 10TB drives I can by shucking those Easystore and MyBook USB drives and just keep plopping drives in. I have a max capacity of 15 3.5 inch drive bays in a 4U rack mount chassis and I am almost at capacity. Here, for fear of going totally off rails here, you can friend me on Steam, I am usually there under the same user name and here is a link to do more research and reading and a pic of my own specs. Im more than happy to chew the fat with you and answer any questions you might have. I've had this setup for just over a year now and I am loving every minute of it, honestly.

https://www.unraid.net/

image.thumb.png.36fc477b040ae92510c1ccbc7487cee7.png

• Thanks 1

@cleverestI have an 8 bay Synology with 2-drive parity disks (64TB usable). For large disks, it takes a long time to rebuild (~48 hours for 10TB depending on usage of system concurrently). So at least for RAID 5, large number of bays, if you have another drive crump while the disk is rebuilding, then unhappiness. Rebuilding puts a lot of stress on rest of disks so if something is wonky, likely that will happen then. Unlike UnRaid won't be able to easily recover data off the others if parity disk(s) and another fail. When had a 4-bay ReadyNas only ever used 1 disk parity since sucks up too much space otherwise. Have used WD Red Drives and now using Seagate IronWolf drives since the delta in pricing between two started getting a bit much. Have had some 5 plus year old Reds start throwing errors but never outright failed before replaced them. 

Never had any issues with Synology but they are fairly "proud" price wise of their systems. It runs 24/7 with Docker apps doing various things along with data serving.  Definitely UnRaid gets a bigger bang for buck and flexibility/features whereas you pay for Synology to make more appliance like (plug and go).  In the end, don't depend entirely on RAID. Backup key items (Nice CloudSync feature in Synology apps for example).  I have never (knock on wood) had a catastrophic drive set failure but Murphy is always waiting to slap us upside the head!

Edited by sundogak
  • Like 1