LaunchBox Community Forums

Who has the largest collection currently standing in Launchbox?

cleverest

Im not entirely certain and dont want to give false information but I know someone who may know: @SentaiBrad 

I know that DosBox comes baked in. And I use Retroarch which is supported and all of it's cores. Aside from that PCSX 2 and Dolphin both are supported which covers the majority of your emulation needs.

You can use any emulator you want and the list of emulators is quite large.

Edit:

Here is a post I made in a thread about recommended emulators to use. My list has changed slightly but it's mostly still the same.

I am not seeing your link.

Our YouTube tutorials are all the systems that I've suggested for over a year now. Some have version 2's, and several parts (Like MAME and MESS). There were two tutorials that I re-did because better emulators were found or issues were fixed, and that was the Sega Saturn and TurboGrafx-16 tutorials, both have an updated tutorial that is suggested over the original.

• 6 months later...
On 1/6/2017 at 9:23 PM, cammelspit said:

Currently up to 57,784 games and counting. This is not including most of my OLD 8-bit computer stuff except it does include the Tandy CoCo, Commodore64 but only the tapes and I also have the amiga imported even though I haven't gotten those to work yet. I did find an awesome way to get eXoDOS and win3Xo fully imported into LB with the artwork all at once so that is a good 6K+ games right there. My PS2 collection is only about 60 games large but I don't have enough HDD space for the whole set, about 5-6TB worth. I am also missing the EUR and JAP Gamecube collections, even though I do have a good chunck of those games not released here. At least this is the largest collection here so far in the thread. I am curious to see how many people have such large collections.

Now all I need to do is put a NAS together, too much hassle all being local. :P lol

@cammelspitI was wondering if you would share with me how to get my Tandy Color Computer games running under LaunchBox? I have found most of the emulators, but am having issues getting the command line options set so the games start after selecting them. TIA

1 minute ago, dragon57 said:

@cammelspitI was wondering if you would share with me how to get my Tandy Color Computer games running under LaunchBox? I have found most of the emulators, but am having issues getting the command line options set so the games start after selecting them. TIA

Unfortunately, you are going to be forced to not have the game auto launch AFAIK. The only emulator I will use at this point is the MAME/MESS core. As such, it won't allow the automatic input of commands after the CoCo has booted up. So you will have to manually type in the CLOAD or LOADM command for tapes and so on and so forth. The one or two other emulators I have tried to play CoCo games with simply didn't cut the mustard in terms of accuracy and such. Though, to make it easier on yourself, I would highly recommend splitting the Tape/Cart/Floppy games into their own platforms. I know, it's not ideal but at least this way you know what commands you need to use once the emulation actually starts up, this is what I did.

at the moment im on over 70,000 and still not finished , I do have access to Scene Server dump so im able to get any scene released game from around 1995 onwards ;) 

Archiving is my passion and data preservation. My Artwork & video's are just something i do when im bored :) 

2017-08-26_001358.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cammelspit said:

Unfortunately, you are going to be forced to not have the game auto launch AFAIK. The only emulator I will use at this point is the MAME/MESS core. As such, it won't allow the automatic input of commands after the CoCo has booted up. So you will have to manually type in the CLOAD or LOADM command for tapes and so on and so forth. The one or two other emulators I have tried to play CoCo games with simply didn't cut the mustard in terms of accuracy and such. Though, to make it easier on yourself, I would highly recommend splitting the Tape/Cart/Floppy games into their own platforms. I know, it's not ideal but at least this way you know what commands you need to use once the emulation actually starts up, this is what I did.

Thanks for the super quick reply. I was afraid of that. I won't have any issue remembering the commands to type afterwards, but the rest of my family will. Sigh.

Was one of the other emulators you tried Xroar? I just downloaded it and have finally figured out how to get it to auto-run the games. Unless I hit a lot of issues with it, I might have to go with it so everyone using my arcade cab can enjoy the old time Color Computer hits! :)

You know, I don't really remember. It has been quite some time since I set this all up and several tens of thousands of imported games later. At this point, I don't think My wife or my son would ever even care about a CoCo game. I remember as a Kid having one, a tape drive, a few cats, it was certainly an experience. :P Though, if that emulator can launch automatically, I will have to take a good look at it. If the accuracy is up to snuff, I may just have to switch out for that one. Thanks for that one buddy and good luck!

On 1/8/2017 at 9:38 AM, SentaiBrad said:

We're actually limited by their API, so we can really only do what it lets us. There may be some stuff that we can do after the list is imported, but for example we can't import only games you have installed, every game must be added.

I know its a bit off topic, and I'm quoting an old post but... 
The AMD Drivers can "Scan" for installed games and will pick up any steam games using the SteamID rather than the .exe so its possible.

Now I'm not a programmer, but couldn't you at the very least tell Launchbox where steam is installed (I'm sure it can do that on its own as well) and then have the software look at "libraryfolders.vdf" to see where all the "Steam Libraries" are and then scan for any "appmanifest_***.ACF" files?
The .ACF files contain the steam ID and the game name (The file name also contains the Steam ID).

Launchbox could then just import the games you have installed using the ID and once they are imported you can then grab the metadata.

On 26-8-2017 at 1:19 AM, harryoke said:

at the moment im on over 70,000 and still not finished , I do have access to Scene Server dump so im able to get any scene released game from around 1995 onwards ;) 

Archiving is my passion and data preservation. My Artwork & video's are just something i do when im bored :) 

Do you have full sets of all those consoles or just games you picked yourself? How much storage do you use in total?

On 03/09/2017 at 8:49 PM, Landcross said:

Do you have full sets of all those consoles or just games you picked yourself? How much storage do you use in total?

i have fullsets mainly , size wise its split up over various HDD but at a rough guess over 5TB easy. a fullset of ps2 is around 2tb

Edited by harryoke

18 hours ago, harryoke said:

i have fullsets mainly , size wise its split up over various HDD but at a rough guess over 5TB easy. a fullset of ps2 is around 2tb

Hmm, 5TB doesn't sound that bad. I bought a 4TB external drive a week or 2 ago to store all my roms etc. But, it's by far not enough xD
But, if buy more storage, I want to do it the proper way with a nas and all that instead of keep adding more external drives. And maybe some redundancy as well. But that's all going to cost quite a lot :(

Also, I suppose with 'fullset' you mean just USA or something like that? Because the fullset I came across contained all regions and was something like 10TB...

You guys might want to check into the @DOS76 home "data center" storage setup. He adds internal and external usb multi drive cases to appear as a single drive letter and with redundancy in such a way that any drive can be read on any Windows computer without any RAID drivers (it's not RAID). This makes things very simple and still managed by Windows which also helps to keep simple (no RAID Linux stuff here). And best of all, the data is all local and not over the network (but can be shared with other devices if desired). The software he uses to manage all this is called DrivePool and costs only $29.95:

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Features

I've used many NAS systems myself, but when they go bad, they really go bad, and often leave you screwed if you don't have a backup somewhere else.

Edited by ckp
  • Thanks 1

I"m approaching 90 thousand games. Takes up more than 6 terabytes. (Fit everything but exodos and win3xo on there though). Bear in mind a HUGE portion of those games are for old computers, clones, and just bad games. I'll never import them all into launchbox. 

Wanted to add I keep games that you can't even emulate, as in n-gage etc. There's the, I think, 32 thousand or so I have in launchbox, and I'm pretty much done except to add new games as I get them in steam. 

Everything emulate-able, though, I do have launching through rocketlauncher. 

Edited by fromlostdays
  • Like 2