Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

Who has the largest collection currently standing in Launchbox?


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, dmjohn0x said:

Turns out, curation is much harder than just amassing and importing fullsets.

I can agree with that...but I think we’re talking 2 separate trains of thought....those who want to curate and ensure complete preservation of full galleries vs those who want a nice collection to play and have fun with....eventually as we begin building our systems we fall into either side of that camp however at the end of the day it’s about playing and enjoying and therefore to me getting a complete set importing and playing is the key and as time goes on if I decide to curate I can however once you import enough full sets of systems you have more than is humanly possible to play....I did the math at 1 game a day it would take me 49 years to play my system start to finish...so in my head I ask myself why curate any further? But I don’t knock the boys who do especially the ones that torrent their curated sets :-)))

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I probably have the smallest collection lol, only 342 games as of the date of this post  I usually add a few games at a time, its usually the good stuff and the games I like

172k in my launchbox, Blue Maxima's Flashpoint has 38k, steam has at least 30k add in xbox 360 xboxone ps3 ps4 and switch I'd estimate 250k roughly is the ceiling currently.  

182 platforms, 100k games. I've been working on removing or combining duplicates and I think I'm getting close to the final unique number. LB works just fine as long as I remember to disable the "all"

Posted Images

4 hours ago, kiddanplay said:

What’s up man! Your not bothering at all...honestly I am still going through the build process and tweaking a bunch of stuff...initially I had a final burn set imported due to size then went with a full MAME set including CHDs and haven’t removed FBA yet thanks for the catch on that though! As for Naomi I did scrub my MAME setup to remove the Naomi games. MAME itself is a tricky animal to scrub and clean and separate per system...although with the new LB/BB 8.6 update I’m probably going to remove my arcade set completely update MAME and get the new rom pack and import again using the new features. 

As for other systems, there would be a significant time investment to scrub all duplicates from every system as the same game may have released on multiple platforms and some have different features or playability styles so you may have 5 duplicates of a game spanning multiple systems but without playing through each version you wouldn’t know which one to keep. Therefore your numbers will be inflated by 5 technically. 

 

Thanks for the answer. i see your point of view. and to be clear i do not talk about different version of the same game for different platforms (like the same game for genesis and snes). I was talking about the exact same game, even the same file on hard drive - one in fb alpha collection and one in arcade collection.

 

but its all good. everyone had their own ish. i personally edit all games individaully, add covers, and other media, correct genres, add extended game info, etc, etc. thats my style ;] 

 

and i only collect official europe and usa releases only. i had like 30 000 games in collection (commodore 64 and amiga collection was the biggest ones) but i catch myself that i never had chance to play all this games so i install fresh copy of lb and starts again with official releases only.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kiddanplay said:

I can agree with that...but I think we’re talking 2 separate trains of thought....those who want to curate and ensure complete preservation of full galleries vs those who want a nice collection to play and have fun with....eventually as we begin building our systems we fall into either side of that camp however at the end of the day it’s about playing and enjoying and therefore to me getting a complete set importing and playing is the key and as time goes on if I decide to curate I can however once you import enough full sets of systems you have more than is humanly possible to play....I did the math at 1 game a day it would take me 49 years to play my system start to finish...so in my head I ask myself why curate any further? But I don’t knock the boys who do especially the ones that torrent their curated sets :-)))

I guess I can understand that. I've got so many Fullsets backed up, but when you drop them all into a huge collection, you'll have a bad time finding anything worth actually playing. And Curation is really tricky. You need to find just the games that are good, or at least, interesting, and then further parse that number down so there is a fantastic selection and its not so many as to be overwhelming for the end-user.

Monkus shared a great curation project for MAME called All-Killer No Filler, and while it cuts down the set to around 25%, even it is too full of options to be realistically something your average gamer would be able to go through. But its a fantastic starting point.

Edited by dmjohn0x
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dmjohn0x said:

Monkus shared a great curation project for MAME called All-Killer No Filler, and while it cuts down the set to around 25%

It's not even 25%, it's far less than that. A full rom set imported into Launchbox using all the filters to remove the junk is approximately 2700 games and my No Filler Mame set is 429 roms with a few duplicates for choice between 2 player and 4 player games like Gauntlet and TMNT.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lordmonkus said:

It's not even 25%, it's far less than that. A full rom set imported into Launchbox using all the filters to remove the junk is approximately 2700 games and my No Filler Mame set is 429 roms with a few duplicates for choice between 2 player and 4 player games like Gauntlet and TMNT.

Nice, did you update it? Last time I ran it, It took me down to somewhere between 600 and 800games if I remember correctly. Either way, it was a great start and at least made it manageable for me to further curate the set by hand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh you must have been talking about the first No Filler batch file which wasn't mine exactly, I stole it from a forum thread on arcadecontrols.com site.

I did a version 2 of the No Filler project where I took feedback from people here on the forums and on Discord and built a set / batch file which uses the Non Merged Mame rom set.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lordmonkus said:

Oh you must have been talking about the first No Filler batch file which wasn't mine exactly, I stole it from a forum thread on arcadecontrols.com site.

I did a version 2 of the No Filler project where I took feedback from people here on the forums and on Discord and built a set / batch file which uses the Non Merged Mame rom set.

 

Nice. Gives me an excuse to update to the latest MAME set. Thanks for your work, brother.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It should grab all the roms, nothing changed in that regard. It should pull out 439 roms files if you use the 201 batch file uploaded to the Third Party Apps downloads page.

Though if you are using Mame 201 the Capcom stuff that uses Qsound may or may not work because there was some changes made to it. I have no idea though since I have not tried the 201 roms on Mame 200.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it's big download. What I do is this, I have a seedbox which I update every month with the newest rom set and then I use the text list of rom files to copy / paste into the filters of WinSCP which I use to FTP into my seedbox and that filters out everything but the rom files I want. I then select all and download telling it to only download new & updated files. Takes only a few minutes to update the No Filler set on my hard drive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if there is a way to run a script that automagically just updates and downloads using your list to my seedbox without my having to interfere. It'd be even better if I didnt have to manually grab the torrent, but that doesnt seem feasible as the only reliable host ive found for the updated sets are PD. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Updating from PD isn't hard at all. Just remove the torrent file from your seedbox torrent UI but leave the content on the server. Download the new torrent from PD and rename the folder on your seedbox to match what the new set will be and pull the torrent into your seedbox torrent. It will do a check and only download what is new and updated, which won't take long at all. Then you can use the text list to grab what you want from your seedbox how I described above.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Updating from PD isn't hard at all. Just remove the torrent file from your seedbox torrent UI but leave the content on the server. Download the new torrent from PD and rename the folder on your seedbox to match what the new set will be and pull the torrent into your seedbox torrent. It will do a check and only download what is new and updated, which won't take long at all. Then you can use the text list to grab what you want from your seedbox how I described above.

I know its not difficult. I was simply thinking about how much better it'd be if we could figure out how to completely automate the process.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Thanos Reigns said:

I had 2 8tb drives, one was a backup. Completely lost both and have to start over from scratch. 

Holy crap, that is devastating. That’s my worst nightmare. There was a big storm here the other night so I turned the computer off and pulled the plug out from the wall. I know you’d do that in a storm anyway but I did it just with the games in mind as they are so precious to me. How did both of yours die?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...