Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums

Who has the largest collection currently standing in Launchbox?


Recommended Posts

I don't add full scene collections in LB. I mean, the home computers alone can have 10k+ roms each, like Commodore 64 for instance. I use QuickPlay for that because it's a much faster and snappier frontend.

I use LB for the more "cleaned-up" sets. Like a complete collection of US licensed SNES games, best 500 Spectrum or C64 games, some hyperlists (these are also incomplete cleaned up lists) and things like that. So i'm currently at 8.500 games in LB with box art, snaps, etc, without MAME roms. Maybe later on if LB becomes a bit snappier, i will add MAME in there.

 

Edited by Imgema
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I probably have the smallest collection lol, only 342 games as of the date of this post  I usually add a few games at a time, its usually the good stuff and the games I like

182 platforms, 100k games. I've been working on removing or combining duplicates and I think I'm getting close to the final unique number. LB works just fine as long as I remember to disable the "all"

If I remember correctly than was @cammelspit the one with this huge collection. His data folder was also used as reference when Jason worked on performance improvements for huge collection

Posted Images

182 platforms, 100k games. I've been working on removing or combining duplicates and I think I'm getting close to the final unique number. LB works just fine as long as I remember to disable the "all" option. Never used big box or images view, those might not work that well.

Sieppaa.PNG

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can i ask, do you also have a box cover for each and every one of those 100k games? Because that would be incredibly impressive to me. And if not, what percentage you think you are missing?

I gave up on the idea of full sets in LB because i had to manually hunt boxes and other assets for about half of the full Spectrum or Amstrad sets, that means finding and renaming literally thousands of files. Have you done this kind of work with your collection? I had to do this for a "best 500 games" collection and i still had to find about half of them manually, took me a couple of days but i almost gave up.

Edited by Imgema
Link to post
Share on other sites

Renaming tools:

Place to find XMLs: Hyperspin

Place to find Dats: Dat-O-Matic

With XML or DAT:

Don's Hyperspin Tools, Rom Renamer

Clrmamepro

Without XML or DAT:

Bulk Rename Utility (Ultimately the most useful renaming tool for both roms and art, and pretty much anything else) Bit of a learning curve. 

FatMatch

Music, TV, Movies (Since I'm listing):

FileBot (if you're a plex user, now works with the {plex} tag for video and music, and its incredible)

Mp3Tag

Edit: Media Center Master (Awesome little program that scrapes media, and pulls everything you could need for setting up media platforms in launchbox (though its not affiliated), including background, trailers, and even clear logos)

In terms of finding art for all those games, I'm pretty sure that's impossible for every game. But it is a worthwhile endeavor. Now LaunchBox has a bunch of plugins to help with that as well. But someone else should make that list. 

Let me know if you have any questions about any of the above programs, and goodluck!

Edited by fromlostdays
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm at 10TB and 66K games compressed/dedupedb sitting on a 8TBX3 Raid 5 I tried to get as many systems as possible with unique roms for each. Once I reached the systems that used large disc images like Wii and Gamecube I decided to get only the complete sets for PlayStation 1, 2 and 3 and the exclusives for other systems within the same generation like Mario or Halo games so I wasn't getting the same disc/image game on multiple systems. If I did collection would be way to large

 

CloudDB Link to my collection http://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/collection/games/elitemanhood

Launchbox.PNG

Edited by elitemanhood
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2017 at 2:25 PM, Imgema said:

Can i ask, do you also have a box cover for each and every one of those 100k games? Because that would be incredibly impressive to me. And if not, what percentage you think you are missing?

I gave up on the idea of full sets in LB because i had to manually hunt boxes and other assets for about half of the full Spectrum or Amstrad sets, that means finding and renaming literally thousands of files. Have you done this kind of work with your collection? I had to do this for a "best 500 games" collection and i still had to find about half of them manually, took me a couple of days but i almost gave up.

Box covers would be nice, but quite often impossible, sometimes not applicable (ie whatever games they wrote to that beautiful pdp-1 in the picture probably didn't come with a box :D) and in the end not my main goal. I personally care about the genre, release date, developer & publisher, in that order, everything else is a bonus. I only use list view in LB which probably makes me a minority :) Having said that, I had my "top ~1000" collection going in D-fend Reloaded before jumping to LB and I'm adding them to GamesDB as I go ie you'll get everything I have, eventually :)

pdp1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, viritys said:

Box covers would be nice, but quite often impossible, sometimes not applicable (ie whatever games they wrote to that beautiful pdp-1 in the picture probably didn't come with a box :D) and in the end not my main goal. I personally care about the genre, release date, developer & publisher, in that order, everything else is a bonus. I only use list view in LB which probably makes me a minority :) Having said that, I had my "top ~1000" collection going in D-fend Reloaded before jumping to LB and I'm adding them to GamesDB as I go ie you'll get everything I have, eventually :)

pdp1.jpg

Nice.

Well, i use LB as my main "eye candy" desktop frontend. So i absolutely must have at least a front box cover (or flyer in case of arcades) and one snapshot. That's my goal. Everything else (info, manual, other pictures, etc) are a bonus. So as you can imagine, having these requirements somewhat limits the number of games (or systems) i can add (about 9k roms).

For my full collections i use Quickplay, which is a faster/lighter program. There i also use a list view (about 60k roms, can't store full CD/DVD iso collections yet).

Lastly i use Hyperspin as my "eye candy + couch mode" frontend to use with a game pad. There i use the same collection as Launchbox since i can usually find videos and wheels for everything that has a front box cover. But i try to keep it as clean looking as possible, that means if there's a video missing i at least use a snapshot in it's place.

So basically, 3 different front-ends for 3 different situations. I have to say though, the LB info database is becoming the best recourse to collect info, release dates, etc. I never thought one day i will be able to have all this info for all these roms in the same way MAME does for arcades.

Edited by Imgema
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2017 at 11:02 AM, Imgema said:

I don't add full scene collections in LB. I mean, the home computers alone can have 10k+ roms each, like Commodore 64 for instance. I use QuickPlay for that because it's a much faster and snappier frontend.

Hehe, you're a good ambassador for that program. I was just googling it after reading your post here and found a post of yours on Reddit. I'm following your lead and for the same scenario as you state here......I need something to quickly swap around roms with different emulators for the Commodore 64 for testing.

It's not quite a frontend along the lines of BigBox, more like MAMEUI (which is a good thing).

Edited by JamesBond@ge
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JamesBond@ge said:

It's not quite a frontend along the lines of BigBox, more like MAMEUI (which is a good thing).

That is indeed a good thing, especially if you prefer merged rom sets (like Goodmerged). Because it handles them in the same way MAME handles parent roms. You just see the parent rom as the default and you can press [+] to have access to all the different versions of the rom inside (different regions, versions, prototypes and betas, translations, hacks, etc). So you have absolutely everything, but it's still very organized, clean and without any clutter. And without having millions of little files stored in your hard drive since all different versions of a game are zipped in their parent archive. That means only one archive/file per title. So you save HDD space as well.

As a completionist who wants to have access to everything and likes testing different versions, regions, etc this MAME like environment is the reason i stuck with this program for so many years. I wonder if something like this is possible in LB as well, merging different regions, etc, into one parent rom and then right clicking to play which version you want. Kinda like how it merges the multiple CD games.

Edited by Imgema
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2017 at 4:48 AM, Imgema said:

That is indeed a good thing, especially if you prefer merged rom sets (like Goodmerged). Because it handles them in the same way MAME handles parent roms. You just see the parent rom as the default and you can press [+] to have access to all the different versions of the rom inside (different regions, versions, prototypes and betas, translations, hacks, etc). So you have absolutely everything, but it's still very organized, clean and without any clutter. And without having millions of little files stored in your hard drive since all different versions of a game are zipped in their parent archive. That means only one archive/file per title. So you save HDD space as well.

As a completionist who wants to have access to everything and likes testing different versions, regions, etc this MAME like environment is the reason i stuck with this program for so many years. I wonder if something like this is possible in LB as well, merging different regions, etc, into one parent rom and then right clicking to play which version you want. Kinda like how it merges the multiple CD games.

Yes it tries to do that already...if the name matches (it ignores parenthesis differences, but looks at file name), during import, and you can also manually do so by highlighting what you want merged and choosing to COMBINE the games...it then asks you which one is the MAIN game to display in LB...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Im on approx 41k games in my LB setup. I do have exo's dos and 3.x win collections but im waiting for official support before i import them. Also have around 600 xbox games ON DISC for my modded xbox,  around 400 ps3 titles and 1k xbox 360 but there is no reliable emus for those yet :)  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, pipes78 said:

313 games or Platforms?

The great thing about Launchbox or any Front end is you can customise it to you. Some go for complete collections with games they they will never play and some for small collections of games they will play. 

I agree, it's actually fun to take my licensed LB collection and build mini-collections onto Flash drives...my last one was a classic Nintendo/sega collection, featuring all 8-16bit Sega/Nintendo games, including handheld systems, (and 64bit-N64 games) onto one collection on a 128GB flash (with extra room for all the assets), or maybe 64GB Flash...don't remember..

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JerseyXS97 said:

Well I listed off my platforms, so... :P Are there even 313 platforms, even counting small variations of the same ones?

Seems like a lot...the most I've seen is 200: 

I think I have like 135 myself. I gotta double check...


 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...