LaunchBox Community Forums

Bigbox lag

noiseordinance

1 hour ago, Chris Kant said:

I also found out that in the options menu from bigbox there are no lags, doesn’t matter how fast i move up and down

Identical situation this end, sounds like we are narrowing down the symptoms :) hopefully that makes it easier to diagnose

Hey all, I will try to dive into this to see if we can get it figured out. It's odd because I have never been able to replicate it, even with Use All Controllers checked. That said, I generally only test with Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers.

It is worth noting that Microsoft has really screwed the pooch several times in the last couple of years with their controller drivers for Windows. There were several versions that were released that caused many issues, including lockups, so the driver version that you are using is important. If you can, please go to Control Panel > Device Manager and let me know the Driver Date and Driver Version for the drivers that you are using for your controllers (just double-click on the controller in Device Manager and select the Driver tab). Also, let me know what model of controller you are using, especially if it is not a Microsoft controller.

Further, please let me know your hardware specifications (CPU, RAM, video card, and type of hard drive) if possible, as well as what version of Windows you're using. Also, please be sure that you're 100% up to date on Windows Updates. I'm hoping that all this information will help us to pinpoint the issue.

On 1/7/2017 at 6:59 PM, noiseordinance said:

First, thanks for all that you guys do with Launchbox / Bigbox. It really is a thing of beauty, and a million times better than Hyperspin in my opinion (and this is coming from someone who's spent a lot of time on Hyperspin).

So I'm finding that Bigbox is somewhat laggy. Whether using a wired or wireless XBOX360 controller, or a wired keyboard, there is intermittent delay when flipping through the menu items. This occurs whether flipping through my gaming catalog, or in the options. 

Here's my setup:

Windows 10
i5 4460 @ 3.2GHZ
8GB RAM
GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB GPU
Samsung EVO 840 SSD for OS / Launchbox install with images
WD 500GB 7200RPM HD with emulators and roms (currently only 100 NES ROMS, 70 SNES ROMS)

I've tried disabling all menu animations and have not had improvement. I've also tried a few Bigbox themes with no improvement. 

Any pointers would be awesome!

I havent read this thread completely so if I give some advice that has been mentioned before i'm sorry, but what worked for me is disabling all transitions (set to none within big box) and in image priorities within launchbox unchecking all backgrounds, I just noticed while working on a theme when I remove the line of code responsible for the background placeholder it speeds up greatly, seems the loading time for backgrounds is taking longer than other placeholders, I do still have a platform background image for each list but it seems to cause slowdown as well even though it is the same image (not sure atm if I can disable this image as well somewhere in the settings so perhaps there wont be any need for removing the code manually)

ControllerDriver.jpg?raw=1

Think it might be purely controller related, I am pretty sure I have both backgrounds and transitions off as these are mentioned in the performance thread (I thought it was a performance issue to start with as mine is a media box so I only use a remote and a Xbox Controller), when I plugged in a wireless keyboard to change some settings I suddenly realised the problem wasn't there using the keyboard @Mr. RetroLust

Edited by Rjay
  • Like 2

Ok so I checked mine and under Device Manager -> Human Interface Devices it looks like both my Xbox controllers are detected as bluetooth XINPUT compatible input device, screenshot of driver details attached. Not sure if this makes any difference?

System is Windows 10 Ent, Latest OS build and current with updates. i5 8600K, Asus MITX ROG 370 mainboard with 16gb DDR4 3200, Samsung 960 512gb NVME Pro as OS drive, Samsung NVME 500gb as secondary drive.

Edited by Rjay
Add image

9 hours ago, Rjay said:

Ok so I checked mine and under Device Manager -> Human Interface Devices it looks like both my Xbox controllers are detected as bluetooth XINPUT compatible input device, screenshot of driver details attached. Not sure if this makes any difference?

System is Windows 10 Ent, Latest OS build and current with updates. i5 8600K, Asus MITX ROG 370 mainboard with 16gb DDR4 3200, Samsung 960 512gb NVME Pro as OS drive, Samsung NVME 500gb as secondary drive.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lplvmk6kzgrazn/ControllerDriver.jpg?dl=0

Ah, that certainly could be the difference. Mine are connected up via the official MS wireless adapters. That said, I believe people were still seeing the issue with wired controllers, so that can't be the whole picture. I'll try to do some testing with BlueTooth though. I might need to pick up an adapter.

Just out of curiosity, what themes and views are you guys using when you're experiencing the lag? I have to be missing something here. Also, by chance, is anyone able to record a video of it lagging? Just so I can see exactly what's happening.

So far we've ruled out driver versions, and hardware doesn't seem to be the issue (though having only 8GB of RAM can cause some serious lag, depending on the theme and the view).

I had this same issue. I think I got it licked.

First, I am using a wireless Xbox 360 controller. Now, under "controllers" in bigbox settings, I had 2 options:

Xinput (Xbox one/Xbox 360)

Windows (Xbox 360)

"Xinput" was selected, I switched it to "Windows", and it improved DRAMATICALLY.

I then switched video playback to wmp from vlc and it is now smooth as silk.

9 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Ah, that certainly could be the difference. Mine are connected up via the official MS wireless adapters. That said, I believe people were still seeing the issue with wired controllers, so that can't be the whole picture. I'll try to do some testing with BlueTooth though. I might need to pick up an adapter.

Ok sounds good, yeh I have just been using the onboard Bluetooth of the mainboard as I wanted it to be as integrated a mITX system as possible for the loungeroom.

Seems pretty crazy that sub 8gb of ram it can be laggy, but I suppose these days OS and base applications do chew a fair bit

Edited by Rjay

4 hours ago, djtripnosis said:

I had this same issue. I think I got it licked.

First, I am using a wireless Xbox 360 controller. Now, under "controllers" in bigbox settings, I had 2 options:

Xinput (Xbox one/Xbox 360)

Windows (Xbox 360)

"Xinput" was selected, I switched it to "Windows", and it improved DRAMATICALLY.

I then switched video playback to wmp from vlc and it is now smooth as silk.

Ace, thats a good starting point, will change those settings this eve and provide feedback!