LaunchBox Community Forums

"Bedroom" Theme

vice350z

Hallo...just gauging if there's any interest at all in a theme I'm messing around with. Basing it off  skainlurmis 's New Retro Big Box Theme. I like his theme but decided to tinker around a little and make it look like the consoles are in rooms that would match the decade of the console. 

Here's two that are a work in progress...One is for the NES. I didn't change the table/tv and a couple other elements that were already in the NRBB theme..just the wall, a new NES angle (i know the controller is cut off, was just for positioning purposes) and the posters/items/toys.

The SNES one I started from scratch with a new table/tv and all that so that's why its brighter lit up than the original NRBB theme which has the darker arcade setting/lighting.

Any other suggestions/comments? Doesn't necessarily have to be a bedroom...could be any room but using a blank wall as a background with some flooring makes it easier to use posters of the decade in the back.

If there's no real interest that's ok..I'm still going to do them for my own use :)

Here's the two samples. Work in Progress and I've never created a theme before so be gentle lol.

EDIT: Added an update to the SNES pic...didn't like the table open on the bottom so closed it and added some stickers...also some soda and candy.

EDIT 2: 4th image added for SNES...is the actual arcade game in a room too much? I figured this person loves games and may have an arcade in their room too. 

nes80s.jpg

SNESplatform.jpg

snesplat.jpg

SNESPlat2.jpg

SNESPlatFInal.jpg

Edited by vice350z
  • Like 13

I'm interested! If you decide to do any of the arcade systems, it would be cool if the tv were replaced with a close-up of the cabinet (with art that references the machine: Neo Geo, Tatio Type X, etc) with the background looking like an arcade from that machines era. This is really cool, either way though.

Oh, and if you do any Atari 2600, etc., for the tv, something like the attached would be awesome:

vintage-television-to-console.png

tvbackclean.jpg

Edited by CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT
  • Like 2

On 1/10/2017 at 8:18 PM, MatticusFinch1820 said:

It would be cool to be able to have the arcade theme for the arcade systems and then have these bedroom themes for the consoles which each console having the TV of its era and posters of its era in there.

@vice350z: I agree with @MatticusFinch1820. It'd be great if you could collaborate with @skainlurmis to create a unified retro theme. You both have some very cool ideas.

Would y'all also be willing to render your backgrounds as videos: 4:3 versions with the right bit (where the wheel resides) chopped off, and/or 16:9 versions with the table, tv, and console centered? Your work would then also accommodate other themes which use these formats for platform videos -- could be the start of a great new platform video pack.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT said:

I'm interested! If you decide to do any of the arcade systems, it would be cool if the tv were replaced with a close-up of the cabinet (with art that references the machine: Neo Geo, Tatio Type X, etc) with the background looking like an arcade from that machines era. This is really cool, either way though.

Oh, and if you do any Atari 2600, etc., for the tv, something like the attached would be awesome:

vintage-television-to-console.png

tvbackclean.jpg

yeah, that's what i was thinking for the arcade platforms. Yeah, i like that 2nd TV. Better fits with the table theme for the rooms.  Is that a 70's tv or an 80's tv on the bottom?

9 hours ago, BakerMan said:

That is super duper creative, man.

Thanks mang but credit has to go to  @skainlurmis  for the original concept. I'm just expanding on it a little. 

5 hours ago, eatkinola said:

Very nice, @vice350z -- even thought to include Raphael. Brings back memories, and my kids would love that. Where can I get me one of those TVs with room for my socks,@CTRL-ALT-DEFEAT; that is one hardy piece of furniture.

it looks a little sparse so I'd like to add some more 90's trinkets to it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eatkinola said:

@vice350z: I agree with @MatticusFinch1820. It'd be great if you could collaborate with @skainlurmis to create a unified retro theme. You both have some very cool ideas.

Would y'all also be willing to render your backgrounds as videos: 4:3 versions with the right bit (where the wheel resides) chopped off, and/or 16:9 versions with the table, tv, and console centered? Your work would then also accommodate other themes which use these formats for platform videos -- could be the start of a great new platform video pack.

Eh, i think its something that can exist as 2 different themes. Skain's theme is pretty consistent already as an arcade theme. Mine could be an alternative to his with the rooms theme. 

This is where my inexperience comes in...not sure what you mean by "render your backgrounds...." Need to look up some tutorials. I have ZERO coding experience so no idea what to edit on those XML files unless there's a video tutorial showing you what you can edit. 

What I really want to figure out is how to add/move around/size the video windows in the Platform and Game views.

1 hour ago, vice350z said:

...not sure what you mean by "render your backgrounds...."

Yeah, realize now it wasn't clear. It looks like you have the platform video playing within the TV of your background (?). What I mean is, could you make a video from this composite of background + "stock" platform video, so that you produce a retro bedroom-themed platform video. I realize that's probably not what you're after ... just wanted to throw it out there (wishful thinking on my part). I really like your concept, great design. Looking forward to seeing more.

1 hour ago, eatkinola said:

Yeah, realize now it wasn't clear. It looks like you have the platform video playing within the TV of your background (?). What I mean is, could you make a video from this composite of background + "stock" platform video, so that you produce a retro bedroom-themed platform video. I realize that's probably not what you're after ... just wanted to throw it out there (wishful thinking on my part). I really like your concept, great design. Looking forward to seeing more.

ah, yes, the game video should play within the TV. Hmm...I can't picture what you're explaining would look like..and its stirring up my OCD that I can't imagine it lol

19 hours ago, vice350z said:

Hallo...just gauging if there's any interest at all in a theme I'm messing around with. Basing it off  skainlurmis 's New Retro Big Box Theme. I like his theme but decided to tinker around a little and make it look like the consoles are in rooms that would match the decade of the console. 

Here's two that are a work in progress...One is for the NES. I didn't change the table/tv and a couple other elements that were already in the NRBB theme..just the wall, a new NES angle (i know the controller is cut off, was just for positioning purposes) and the posters/items/toys.

The SNES one I started from scratch with a new table/tv and all that so that's why its brighter lit up than the original NRBB theme which has the darker arcade setting/lighting.

Any other suggestions/comments? Doesn't necessarily have to be a bedroom...could be any room but using a blank wall as a background with some flooring makes it easier to use posters of the decade in the back.

If there's no real interest that's ok..I'm still going to do them for my own use :)

Here's the two samples. Work in Progress and I've never created a theme before so be gentle lol.

EDIT: Added an update to the SNES pic...didn't like the table open on the bottom so closed it and added some stickers...also some soda and candy.

EDIT 2: 4th image added for SNES...is the actual arcade game in a room too much? I figured this person loves games and may have an arcade in their room too. 

nes80s.jpg

SNESplatform.jpg

snesplat.jpg

SNESPlat2.jpg

Oh. My. GOD. 

THIS is EXACTLY what I have always wanted!!! Each theme on here has a piece of what im looking for. Such as Vikings theme videos with the TV and Console, but I wasnt a fan of the blank backgrounds but your theme here is perfect. Each console with the TV and Room decorations of the decade so that it looks like you are in that room just like your mock up screen shots. Nailed it!! I wish I could be of some help but I have zero skills when it comes to these things. I am EXTREMELY interested in this. My bedroom still looks like this lol. I have a retro mancave and I keep it very close to these screenshots. I game exclusively on PC and my retro gaming is also exclusively on PC through Launchbox. Sometimes I miss having my physical media, so this def brings back memories. 

Fantastic work! 

• Like 1

I think I have the SNES Platform screen pretty much final. Just have to figure out how to get rid of the pink 1990 and SNES text off the screen and doing something a little nicer with the platform wheel. But the main image/collage itself is pretty much done. I think it came out ok. Feel free to add any comments/suggestions. 

I know SNES was 1990 but I put stuff in the room from a small range of the early 90's as if the person's had the SNES for a while now. 

Cripes, took this long just to do ONE console so far in only the Platform view so far lol.

SNESPlatFInal.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, vice350z said:

I think I have the SNES Platform screen pretty much final. Just have to figure out how to get rid of the pink 1990 and SNES text off the screen and doing something a little nicer with the platform wheel. But the main image/collage itself is pretty much done. I think it came out ok. Feel free to add any comments/suggestions. 

I know SNES was 1990 but I put stuff in the room from a small range of the early 90's as if the person's had the SNES for a while now. 

Cripes, took this long just to do ONE console so far in only the Platform view so far lol.

SNESPlatFInal.jpg

This is INCREDIBLE work Vice!! 

Question for you (or anyone) though, I was experimenting with this style background from the New Retro Big Box theme by taking the TV and Desk PNG and making a CFG file so i can use it as a retroarch TV overlay and play the games through the TV with the system and desk in view. It worked!!! BUT the TV screen is small as hell for playing and the TV and desk are off to the side (because of the console wheel space.) so my question is, Would it be possible to make these TV pngs modified to be able to use as retroarch TV overlays? I would think the only thing to be done would be to make the TV slightly bigger and the desk and TV more towards the center. 

That way each system you play, you are playing it in the TV on the desk with the console right next to it! Ive included a PNG of the file from NRBB so you can see. 

Nintendo64x.png