LaunchBox Community Forums

Kodi addon for LaunchBox

1 minute ago, Keith Krummel said:

This beyond confusing. So I need to have Kodi, Launchbox, and an emulator for playing video games? I was planning on streaming video games and movies. I already researched that so do I need to find Launchbox addons instead?

If you only want to play retro games and such you dont need KODI at all. This is what is confusing me. Launchbox is a frontend for adding emulators and roms to, its a standalone program. You cant stream games like that either, Launchbox goes on your PC and you add emulators and games to it and play. That is all it is/does.

I was in the middle setting up IAGL and RetroPlayer in Kodi with 10TBs of games to play so that's why I'm confused and wanted to use Kodi. It stalled because my Kodi installation didn't come with Retroplayer or game menu so I'm waiting in the fora response how to get them so I can continue setting them up. The problem was it stopped at PSX, but I already set up the PS1, PS2 and PS3 emulators. I haven't found any PS3 roms yet. Finished that last night. Why can't you stream games like that? The computer seat is the most uncomfortable in the house, and I'm in a tiny cabin right now so I don't any way of putting anything comfortable and bigger in here. That would be the downside in Kodi or Launchbox if I can't stream games to the tv and sit in the comfy chairs in the house. I would just buy everything I can on PS4 So far I only got roms for the exact list of games not on PS4 that were on PS1 and PS2. I can't find PS3 yet but looking for 5 to start. I can do way more if they stream. I can get tons...

1 minute ago, Keith Krummel said:

Ok. I’ll give it a shot. What types of streaming devices work best for video games and Chromecast?

Yeah im not sure if you can even stream Launchbox to a chromecast, a chromecast doesnt have any apps and is controlled via phone/tablet or the chrome browser. Launchbox would need a cast to button which it doesnt have.

50 minutes ago, Keith Krummel said:

This beyond confusing. So I need to have Kodi, Launchbox, and an emulator for playing video games? I was planning on streaming video games and movies. I already researched that so do I need to find Launchbox addons instead?

@neil9000 & @DOS76 have done a good job of explaining how this works.

There are also tons of tutorial videos on YouTube for setting up Launchbox, if you need more help, I would start there:

20 minutes ago, Keith Krummel said:

I have PowerDVD for movies, and they have a  computer/tv mode, but I have to plug in a HDMI cable for the tv, but there is only one. I bought a splitter but the computer monitor was black until I plugged it straight in again.

Yeah, thats copy protection or HDCP as its known, you cant run a program like that through a splitter as it could be used for pirating movies, so it checks and gives a black screen if its not a direct connection to TV from the laptop. I had the same issue with power DVD when i had my PC connected through my AVR then to my TV.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I now have set LaunchBox/BigBox with 2 emulators and 6 roms, but the Kodi app still doesn't allow me to view the .exe. Also, LaunchBox/BigBox won't play GTA Mission 1 video snap. It probably began with a comma, but I've been copying and pasting the same name without the comma but won't play it even though it leaves a window for it since it's in the LaunchBox/videos folder. Lots of games have commas so might as well figure this now. I never played on a computer yet, but I was trying to play the ones that are no longer available on the systems to play them all again. Then I can go digging for more. I always and still have 3 systems. The only way I can map/play the game is plugging in the controller. Is that correct? Any help will be appreciated.

40 minutes ago, Keith Krummel said:

Hey guys. I now have set LaunchBox/BigBox with 2 emulators and 6 roms, but the Kodi app still doesn't allow me to view the .exe. Also, LaunchBox/BigBox won't play GTA Mission 1 video snap. It probably began with a comma, but I've been copying and pasting the same name without the comma but won't play it even though it leaves a window for it since it's in the LaunchBox/videos folder. Lots of games have commas so might as well figure this now. I never played on a computer yet, but I was trying to play the ones that are no longer available on the systems to play them all again. Then I can go digging for more. I always and still have 3 systems. The only way I can map/play the game is plugging in the controller. Is that correct? Any help will be appreciated.

Hmm, i thought i had you all sorted out and squared away? I still think you are very confused then if i'm honest. Kodi has no meaning here so to speak, its a way to load games from Launchbox. can you elaborate on the issue you have?

Lol. I wish. I didn’t get the controllers figured out until yesterday, and I kept having to post on the forum on Kodi forums to get IAGL and Retroplayer. I didn't try to plug them in until yesterday because I never played on the computer yet. That's the only thing I didn't do for a few day. I had to switch to beta version of Kodi to get a game menu and Reteoplayer to play. Just finished a couple days ago to play. Launchbox has been working the entire time outside of Kodi. The problem was that it doesn’t allow to view beyond the folders section to point to the Launchbox Bigbox.exe. It’s been in the folder the entire time.

It doesn't like the GTA Mission 1 London 1969 video snap also.

Edited by Keith Krummel