LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox Performance and How to Make it Better

Lordmonkus

I have launchbox at pretty much default settings so the games are sorted alphabetically. Everything was working fine for me until I deleted my arcade platform, which had like 3000 games in it. Before I did that changing platforms happened instantly, after deleting that huge platform it now takes several seconds to change platform.

Is there a way I can reset launchbox? I would be happy to add all my games again if I can fix this lag!

Edit: I should also add I've left launchbox to cache for like 2 days and scrolled through to make sure the images have cached.

Edited by dnbreloaded

• 3 weeks later...

I think I found something why themes may not working properly (in some cases). At least I hope ^_^.

I use a gaming laptop (2013) for my LB/BB setup. Specs:

Windows 10 home
Intel Core i7-4700MQ @ 2.4 Ghz
8 gigs ram
GTX 765M
1 tb 5400 RPM laptop disk
2500 games

I also own an arcade cab with a much older pc (2010). Specs:

Windows 10 home

Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.667 Ghz
4 gigs ram
Asus EAH5850
1 tb samsung spinpoint
2500 games (same setup)

In this example I use Critical Zone V2 BlueBox BackgroundFanart Only theme. It's runs very very smooth on my arcade cab. On my (much better) this theme is having problems when the video's kick in.

For example: I have 3 categories in Platform categories: Consoles, Handhelds and Playlists. Playlist does not have a video, the other 2 do. When I am at playlist and switch to one of the other, everything is smooth like butter. But when I'm on Consoles / Handhelds and the Video is playing, BB is becoming slower. 

I added a demo video for demonstration (hope it's good to view)

BigBox Example

Now for the issue: A collegue of mine suggested that BigBox is using the internal laptop graphic card (Intel HD graphics 4600) in stead of my GTX 765M. He said I had to disable the internal card so BigBox will always use the GTX card. I don't have a BIOS option to disable my internal graphic card so I disabled it in device manager.... 

I had good hopes this would solve it, but in stead of seeing smooth BB it became even more slow...

Now for my question: Is it possible that BB somehow has issues with internal graphical cards? It looks like it don't uses my GFX card...

Edited by Machello

HELP BIGBOX IS SLOW SCROLLING THROUGH GAMES AND SYSTEMS.

My system is well above what is needed to run bigbox and I only have around 200 games.

i5 6600k 24GB OF DDR4 RAM and a AMD FirePro W5000 which is equivalent to a GTX 960.

4GB of ram is allocated to BigBox.

• 3 weeks later...

My Bigbox now takes forever to start. It used to play the startup video and start right after. Now, the startup video will play and the screen will stay black for another 20 secs before Bigbox loads. I'm assuming this was due to one of the latest updates. I haven't added any new systems in the last few months. . It used to load while the video played but now it seems to just wait for the video to play and then it proceeds to load. Anyone else experiencing something similar?

Yeah - same issue here.  I have not added systems/games in several months since I know this will just make it worse.  Really I don't even mess with BigBox anymore since it's almost unusable.

I've decided to instead focus my OCD on gething the systems I do have loaded setup with 100% playability and metadata.

Maybe someday...

|Yeah - same issue here.  I have not added systems/games in several months since I know this will just make it worse.  Really I don't even mess with BigBox anymore since it's almost unusable.

I've decided to instead focus my OCD on gething the systems I do have loaded setup with 100% playability and metadata.

Maybe someday...

As I thinkle about this, maybe it makes sense to add a function that is a toggle switch for weather or not to load a game into BigBox this may make it somewhat more manageable as Jason continues to work on "various performance enhancements".  

This would allow me to "collect" from a completion stand point, but also allow me to have an eye candy setup that is functioning.

Again, if this is with a beta release post any performance related issues in the beta release thread. If this is the latest stable release you should look into possible changes and problems with your system because the stable has been out for a while now with no reported problems with performance.

I am also now locking this thread once again since it is not meant for a troubleshooting thread, it is more a guide to help people improve performance which is what the first post in this thread is.