LaunchBox Community Forums

Nvidia Shield Gamestream and two controllers

poisongoomba

Hi!

First want to say, Jason, Launchbox is awesome. It is everything I wish Hyperspin could have been back when I built my arcade cabinet. Long nights and bad headaches... Just wasn't worth it. Launchbox is obviously far superior.

I have a pretty decent setup right now on my PC with Launchbox, and I have been streaming it via Gamestream on my Nvidia Shield TV console. Works great too.

My question is, has anyone with a Shield succesfully setup multiple controllers? I have two Shield controllers connected, but both register button presses to player one. I have not played with it much, but I figured I would ask first. BTW, this is in RetroArch, so that may be a factor in it as well.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm encountering the same thing, with 2 wireless 360 controllers on my pc. I stream Big Box to my nvidia shield tv and only get 1 controller working in Retroarch even with Multiple Controllers Enabled on the shield.

I haven't tried these yet, but I'm thinking about either 1) getting two wired 360 controllers permanently plugged into my pc so retroarch ALWAYS recognizes two of them or 2) manually editing retroarch.cfg for the second controller, copying the button assignments from first player.

Okay, you may have already figured this out but it's Retroarch that's the weak link here. I can confirm RA 1.3x something worked and now 1.4x something doesn't for the Gamestreamed Shield TV controllers. Other emulators like PCSX2 and ePSXe work with two shield controllers via launchbox/gamestream fine, but not retroarch. It's a shame, too, I JUST warmed up to RA. I was also taking the RA's core updating and controller auto-mapping for granted; currently I'm stumbling through downloading standalone emulators and configuring their controls for P1 & P2 one by one. Thankfully, I can keep the portable platforms on RA. But unfortunately, the last word I've heard about RA devs implementing this boils down to "nopes", in so many words. 

Edited by bikeking8
Additional context

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2017 at 3:49 PM, bikeking8 said:

Okay, you may have already figured this out but it's Retroarch that's the weak link here. I can confirm RA 1.3x something worked and now 1.4x something doesn't for the Gamestreamed Shield TV controllers. Other emulators like PCSX2 and ePSXe work with two shield controllers via launchbox/gamestream fine, but not retroarch. It's a shame, too, I JUST warmed up to RA. I was also taking the RA's core updating and controller auto-mapping for granted; currently I'm stumbling through downloading standalone emulators and configuring their controls for P1 & P2 one by one. Thankfully, I can keep the portable platforms on RA. But unfortunately, the last word I've heard about RA devs implementing this boils down to "nopes", in so many words. 

I am just getting around to reading this.

At the time of my post, I was discussing the same topic in the RetroArch forums with a dev. He blamed low-level tech or some BS. If anyone has found an answer to this please keep us informed!

I really don't want to have to set up individual emulators and have to look at ugly windows at launch, etc (maybe learn how to use RocketLauncher?)

Thanks guys.

I'm able to stream BigBox fine on Gamestream, it's just Retroarch that can't (or won't, from what poisongoomba has heard) detect/poll signals from setups such as Shield controllers on gamestream. Shield controllers work great with other emulators on BigBox through gamestream, even multiplayer. 

In the settings there is a category named drivers in there you can change the input drive type maybe playing with that will get different results.

I'm just spitballing here fellas just an idea on something to fiddle with and see if it changes anything.

Edited by DOS76

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

In the settings there is a category named drivers in there you can change the input drive type maybe playing with that will get different results.

I'm just spitballing here fellas just an idea on something to fiddle with and see if it changes anything.

I think I have messed with it before. Not really a whole to play with there. I was thinking maybe there was an .ini that oculd be modified to see the second controller.

The problem is that when you connect the shield controller via Gamestream, Retroarch sees it as dinput0 (I believe, might be dinput1) and the second Nvidia controller is viewed as being on the same input - both controllers play simultaneously as player 1.

When I try and manually change the controller to another input, retroarch simply doesn't detect it.

Edited by poisongoomba
a word

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, bikeking8 said:

Gamestreamed second controller works now! 1.6.0 stable allows for low latency controller polling (I think that's technically accurate) using the newly added "raw" input selection. I just confirmed with SMB3.

AWESOME! I saw that RA updated, and they mentioned the Low Level in their notes, but had yet to try it - assumed it wasn't even related to my problem. Great news! can't wait to go multiplayer finally, I will test out tonight! Thanks for the update.

Edited by poisongoomba

On 6/14/2017 at 6:28 AM, bikeking8 said:

Gamestreamed second controller works now! 1.6.0 stable allows for low latency controller polling (I think that's technically accurate) using the newly added "raw" input selection. I just confirmed with SMB3.

So, last night I got a chance to mess with it shortly. Problem is, for some reason anything I tried to gamestream via RA just gave me a black screen with audio - have you experienced this? I am going to just do a complete fresh install of RA tonight and try again. Once I am in, where do I select the option for the RawInput driver (I assume that is the feature you are referencing). Thanks!

DOS76 got it for the raw option. As for the sound issues, it might require a reinstall. I can't say if this is even the best practice, but i unzip the Retroarch package to a new folder and copy over some folders from the old install. Like config, saves, states, etc. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bikeking8 said:

DOS76 got it for the raw option. As for the sound issues, it might require a reinstall. I can't say if this is even the best practice, but i unzip the Retroarch package to a new folder and copy over some folders from the old install. Like config, saves, states, etc. 

You could use this program to update Retroarch, it works very well.

Figured it out perhaps, working now with what might be called a workaround: I have a 360 wireless controller active on the streaming pc. With that connected, and with raw input on, Retroarch through Gamestream is now detecting 2 controllers. Multiple controllers enabled, I again confirmed SMB3 2 player. I'm about to run out for a wired 360 controller to see if I can just leave it in when i take my shield abroad.

Aaand it works. 360 wired plugged in, it works. Mame, SNES, and NeoGeo cores working 2 player, too. 

Edited by bikeking8

18 hours ago, bikeking8 said:

Figured it out perhaps, working now with what might be called a workaround: I have a 360 wireless controller active on the streaming pc. With that connected, and with raw input on, Retroarch through Gamestream is now detecting 2 controllers. Multiple controllers enabled, I again confirmed SMB3 2 player. I'm about to run out for a wired 360 controller to see if I can just leave it in when i take my shield abroad.

Aaand it works. 360 wired plugged in, it works. Mame, SNES, and NeoGeo cores working 2 player, too. 

I am a little confused.

I would like to get 2 gamestream controllers working wirelessly. Is your PC near your shield? My PC is on another floor of the house, so I couldn't plug my controller into it for this purpose. Did you have it working at one point with 2 wireless controllers? Thanks for the updates!