LaunchBox Community Forums

FFS! how the heck do I use commodore 64?????

ResidentEvul13

2 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

Again, in case I wasn't explicit enough about it - do not import PP (nib) files into your library. They DO NOT work in emulators. You can delete them or use Nibtools to convert them to G64 and test them out (and you'll find most of them don't work).

Small correction - some of nib file works in micro64 emulator.

@Zombeaver quick question i am about to import Amiga and i ges its simple amiga in the list one of the first and not named commendore. 

thats an obvious one i know  but might as well be sure.  anyway i see amiga 32 CD32 if im not mistaken that is in the redump set or such and not no intro since they dont do disc as i remember it.

15 minutes ago, cZ8tL said:

Small correction - some of nib file works in micro64 emulator.

Fair enough; that's not one I have any experience with. They don't work with Hoxs64 though (or VICE or CCS64 for that matter), and Hoxs64 is what's used in the video. And my assumption is the ones that do work in micro64 are probably the same ones that work when converted to G64 format, which, based on my testing, isn't a whole lot of them. I'm kinda curious about micro64 now though, I'll have to check that out. I've still got my original nibs and conversions that I used for testing so I'll do a comparison.

20 minutes ago, ALIE said:

@Zombeaver quick question i am about to import Amiga and i ges its simple amiga in the list one of the first and not named commendore. 

thats an obvious one i know  but might as well be sure.  anyway i see amiga 32 CD32 if im not mistaken that is in the redump set or such and not no intro since they dont do disc as i remember it.

Huh? I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here.

If you're referring to the fact that it's called "Amiga" instead of "Commodore Amiga", that's just because of how it's listed in the LBGDB. You can change it to whatever you want in your own library if you prefer something different, and just tell it to "Scrape As: Amiga".

@cZ8tL So far that that assumption has held true - all the ones that did work when converted to G64 format via nibtools are working natively in micro64 and all the ones that didn't aren't. That, in and of itself, is impressive though.

I have to say, micro64 looks pretty impressive so far, albeit not particularly user-friendly; which isn't helped by seemingly zero documentation for anything other than a changelog and a forum that's almost entirely empty. It's basically a barren wasteland haha. The longest thread is a guy asking "Where's the manual?" and the developer saying there isn't one, but maybe at some point (and it's from 5 years ago...).

The amount of video options is quite impressive (the most extensive I've ever seen in fact) and the video and audio accuracy seem very good. It definitely seems like one guy's side-side-project though. Granted, the same could be said for CCS64 but it's got 20 years of development behind it.

Just now, ALIE said:

But also in LB under Amiga there's Amiga CD32.  I just wanted to be sure those aren't in the No Intro set ☺️ and if I'm not mistaken they are apart of the Redump set.

I'm honestly not sure what sets they are or aren't in to be honest, sorry. I'm very much a pick and choose kinda guy when it comes to my library rather than these massive sets of everything. Most of the non-WHDLoad format stuff I have comes from TOSEC I believe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

You'll get out of it proportionately to what you put into it, like anything else.

I've already done the actually hard work of researching, testing, experimenting, more researching, more testing, digging through obscure multi-page forum posts and Github and Amiga programming wikis until the wee hours of the morning... and then assembled all of that in a precise, step-by-step package that walks you through everything you need to know and do, including all the things that you might need to know and do even if you don't realize it yet. Short of me coming over to people's houses and setting it up for them, there's not a whole lot more I can do. If watching and following instructions in a video is too much work, then by all means don't. Only you can determine whether or not it's worth it to you.

i just need to stop doing so much at once..  research is how i evolved to begin with... i'll come back to commodore 64 once i find a break.. i haven't slept in a week trying to get this console ready for today.

@Zombeaver, yes, I guess other files are in different (newer?) version, that emulator wasn't updated recently.

For future googlers I compiled list of basic hotkeys, found on some forums:

F9 = options screen
F10 = restore key (going to be changed in a future build in 2012)

f11 = Cartridge Freeze with NMI
ctrl f11 = Cartridge Freeze without NMI
shift f11 = Cartridge Unfreeze
but only if the loaded CRT supports it

F12 = Reset
left ctl = commodore key
right ctl or tab = ctl key

Joystick keys are numpad and 0 as the fire button

numlock swaps the keyboard joysticks 1 and 2
numpad period swaps the two real connected joysticks, which will be detected at the micro64 start.
numpad * is the warpmode, limit speed off/off toggle.

Edited by cZ8tL
  • Like 1

I figured some of those out - namely F9, F12 and the numpad numbers and 0 - but not all of them.

Is there a way to actually rebind any of that stuff?

I couldn't figure out how to crop the overscan/scale to fullscreen either. I mean I've got it set in fullscreen mode but it's a kindof smallish image in the center of the screen. High resolution mode doesn't seem to make any difference.

I don't think any rebinding is possible. SDL version  of Vice has very nice thing - you can rebind almost everything. Just don't forget to save binds to file.

Full-screen works properly, but maybe because of my Nvidia drivers settings, which scale things independently. There are two versions of micro64, normal and sdl2, maybe they behave different?  

Edited by cZ8tL

On 10/02/2017 at 7:24 PM, ALIE said:

Yah @Zombeaver that was what I was doing just wanted to make sure. 

But also in LB under Amiga there's Amiga CD32.  I just wanted to be sure those aren't in the No Intro set ☺️ and if I'm not mistaken they are apart of the Redump set.  

Amiga Cd32 was a Cd-Rom gaming console that Commodore released near the end of their life, it is a separate system, dont pick that for the home computers 

Edited by brainimpact
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, brainimpact said:

Amiga Cd32 was a Cd-Rom gaming console that Commodore released near the end of their life, it is a separate system, dont pick that for the home computers 

question for you :D i got the various redump sets i could find and i have two, one named CD and one CD32  are they  different machines? because when googling CD i only find info on CD32.

The "CD" might be referring to the CDTV, I'm not sure. It was essentially a fancy multimedia device though. The CD32 was the one specifically designed for gaming. You should be able to tell what they're for just by looking at file names though, based on the games.

In any case, C64, Vic-20, Plus 4, and CD32 (and CDTV for that matter, although I'm not sure why you'd want that) are all separate things.

• 1 month later...

How can I autostart a special program on a D64-file?

I have several games on a D64-file and with CCS64 I can use rom.D64,2 to autostart the second program of that disk. Works also in launchbox. With WinVICE however, a commandline like rom.D64:pitstop works from the DOS prompt but from launchbox I only get to the C64 READY prompt. Any ideas?

I'm not entirely sure I follow. Are you saying you've trying to use one of those multi-game disks (I had quite a few of these on my real C64) and individually select one of the games to run via command line? If so...I'm not sure if that's possible or not.

I need a little more context here. Is it actually a multi-game disk? If so, why not just use the separate/individual d64s with separate entries in your library?

Well the way it's called is just like a Windows shortcut. You're directing X file to Y .exe and you can inject command line parameters if you wish. If you go to the manage emulators section in Launchbox and edit an entry it'll show you what command line parameters (if any) you're using in either the main emulator tab or the associated platforms (for setting custom command line parameters on a per-platform basis).

The end result of a rom in LB directed to an emulator entry with custom command line parameters is indistinguishable from a Windows shortcut with an equivalent custom target path.

Emulator: CCS64
Associated Platform: Commodore 64
Default Command Line Parameters: -autoload
Rom: Times of Lore

Is the same thing as a Windows shortcut with a target path of 

"Path\To\CCS64\CCS64.exe" -autoload "Path\To\Rom\Times of Lore.d64"

Ah, okay that makes sense. Something you may want to try is the %romfile% switch. You can add this into a command line section and it will inject the relevant path/filename into the command line. I use it for multi-disk Atari ST games via Steem, but it should work in your scenario as well since it should inject the entire absolute (not relative) path; though I'm not sure how it would handle a :[gamename] immediately after it - it might not work. It's worth a shot though. I've got an example of how I use it below:

• 1 year later...

I just want he emulator, vice or hoxs, to load "*",8,1. What it does is load the filename of the .d64 file, which is worthless. Generally speaking this is how most experienced commodore users would want things. Anyone have any luck with that.

As for the video tutorial... i followed it and no programs would load. They would just open the emulator (hoxs) and not load the program.