LaunchBox Community Forums

Intellivision emulator

mrrod

There are a few stand alone Intellivision emulators but they aren't all that great I personally just use MAME/MESS though personally if you use these in LB you will need the command line parameters intv -cart. Also you will need the bios files but if you already have a full rom set they should already be included there.

Try to limit the number of different emulators you use to make configuration changes global and easier. MAME and Retroarch will cover most of the emus needed. I emulate Intellivision with latest MAME - no problems (plus i have the ability to use bezels).

Just now, DOS76 said:

do you have to use both systems flashback controllers or does the Intellivision one work with Coleco also

They do, but I have the Flashback Coleco controller as well, so I usually just switch. I just built some shelves to stand all my controllers up and within reach :D

Good to know that is one controller type that their isn't really any good options to buy. I would fear buying the ancient used controllers and the fact you have to buy a Flashback to get the controller isn't ideal but probably the best option. I wish the adapter worked with 2600 paddles that would make it even more attractive a purchase.

Is there anything I need to do when using mame? I've associated mame as the emulator to one of the intellivision games (lock n chase). I put the command line intv -cart and the screen flashes black when I run the game, seems to say 'initializing' and then goes back to the launchbox screen. any ideas?

p.s.  the rom file i have is in zip form, looking in the zip file there's only a .bin file, do I need the bios file also?

Edited by mrrod

I downloaded 2 bios roms:

executive ROM, The (1978) (Mattel).int 

Sears super video arcade bios (1978) (Sears).int 

are they what I'm to put in mame?

Looked in mame, no mame.ini or a subfolder named bios. I did create a mame.ini and a bios folder.

In the associated platforms command-line parameters, what should be written there?

Edited by mrrod

Hi @mrrod

Check your Intellivision Bios rom, intv.zip and see what is inside of it.

If it has only one file called exec then it won't work.

You need to source and add the grom file to intv.zip to get things to work, just like with Nostalgia.

Note that you will need the grom rom. The one that comes with Nostalgia called Minigrom is a crippled version intended to run only the stuff bundled with Nostalgia, in other words the uninteresting stuff.

Okay are you trying to get the game to run directly through MAME because it won't unless you are using the command line or have the software list ROMs. It should work through LB though, have you watched any of @SentaiBrad MAME/MESS tutorials from the LB YouTube channel? The visual aid may help you out I don't know if he has done a specific one for Intellivision but if you watch the MESS tutorials you should be able to get the general idea of how it works.