LaunchBox Community Forums

Intellivision emulator

mrrod

Quick question, if one runs and older mame and then updates to the latest version, would all roms need to be updated also? seem to get the impression roms also need to be updated.

Downloaded and extracted mame64 .182, I have an ini folder, I assume that's the ini I should have.

Edited by mrrod

I haven't done an Intellivision one, but if you watch the latest MAME/MESS one, follow all the instructions but replace the console name with the Intellivision one, and the command line paramter with the one you've gotten from here. The MESS Command Line parameter list linked in the description is also a life saver. Two big key components, make sure you have a MAME rom set that matches your MAME version inside your MAME/roms folder. So if you have MAME .180 grab a MAME .180 split rom set, and if you have MAME .181, grab a MAME non-merged rom set (.181 split seems to be broken). Then, make sure the Associated Platform name matches the name you gave your platform and that the command line is correct.

Just now, mrrod said:

Quick question, if one runs and older mame and then updates to the latest version, would all roms need to be updated also? seem to get the impression roms also need to be updated.

Yes, the MAME rom set should ideally match your version of MAME. If you have a slightly older rom set, like .178 using MAME .181, it will most likely be alright, but if your romset is from .173 and previous, and you're using a newer version of MAME, that can cause some issues.

For arcade MAME roms, yes you will need to update for newer versions. For the topic at hand, you do not need a newer set for Intellivision. You may want to take a look at Simply Austin's MESS tutorial. He has a download of MESS 1.59 that has all the bios and configs pre all ready for you to use.

Edited by d3cyph3r

Yea, I meant MAME .182. Doing some searching, you can find mame split and mame non-merged rom sets very easily. If you want the latest MAME .182, grab a non-merged set. If you grab MAME .181 and previous (don't go any farther back than MAME .174), then grab a MAME split rom set. MESS BIOS were included after MAME .16x, or somewhere within, so anything lower might have none or some missing BIOS files for MESS, as that's when MESS was integrated. Watch a few of our MESS tutorials (like the one I linked), to get the idea, it's actually pretty short that Vectrex tutorial.

2 minutes ago, Patham said:

I just set this up going off Brad's MESS tutorial (Atari 5200) and it works like a charm. Using the stand alone MESS 0.177. The hardest part was finding the bios that had the grom.bin inside. Now what would I need to do to get the voice working in a game like Space Spartans? Could I just add that bios into the intv.zip file? Thanks.

That rom set should come with the proper BIOS files, but if you open the zips and see files are missing, and you have them, you should be able to put them in to the zip and it work.

Also, the older MESS tutorials I used a standalone version of MESS that is no longer being built, so I do advocate using regular MAME now. It eliminates some extra steps. Just make sure to add MAME a second time to LaunchBox and call it MESS (per the Vectrex tutorial, which is using just MAME, so you can watch both to get the full picture).

Hi @Patham

To allow MAME to emulate voice synthesis with the 4 Intellivision games that use it you will need
intv.zip
intv_voice.zip
and your Associated Platform Parameters should be
intv -cart1 voice -cart2

To play the Intellivision ECS games including the one that uses voice synthesis you need
intv.zip
intvecs.zip
intv_ecs.zip
and your Associated Platform Parameters should be changed to run the clone machine
intvecs -cart1 voice -cart2

As there are only a handful (6 I Think) of ECS games, you can use the Associated Platform Parameters for the Intellivision and then for any ECS games use the custom Parameter
intvecs -cart1 voice -cart2

The Intellivoice feature was in only 4 Intellivision games
B-17 Bomber
Bomb Squad
Space Spartans
Tron: Space Sailer
and in only 1 Intellivision ECS game
World Series Major League Baseball

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm trying to sort out an oddity I experience using Nostalgia for Intellivision emulation.

All my ROMs work fine in Nostalgia itself, but some will not play when I try and launch them through Launchbox's menu.

I can play Demon Attack just fine from the Nostalgia menu, but I get an "unable to load game from file" pop up in Launchbox if I try to boot the same ROM from there.

The files are all in .int format

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

sTeVE

Hi @jetbootjack

This is a known issue with Demon Attack and Nostalgia 5. The game's format has nothing to do with it. Also, LaunchBox is not at fault.
From the Nostalgia GUI itself you can only run Demon Attack by either clicking it in the list or by selecting Run Selected Game from the File tab.
Using Load File from the File tab won't work for this game like it does for others.
Apparently Demon Attack works fine with the older version of Nostalgia.

• Like 1