LaunchBox Community Forums

CONGRATULATIONS LB 7.7!!!

ResidentEvul13

1 minute ago, Patham said:

I cut my computer teeth on Atari's and Commodore's. I want to start adding some Atari 800 stuff. Anyone remember the game Jawbreaker? It's a silly Pacman clone that was better than the Atari 800 port of Pacman. I loved that game.

And because of LaunchBox I now know of DYKG, win-win!

Sorry, who is DYKG?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Patham said:

I mentioned earlier the Atari 8-bit computers and my fond memories of the game Jawbreaker. I just got Atari 8-bit emulator Altirra (Atari 400/800/1200/XL) set up and working great with LaunchBox/BigBox. Jawbreaker is back baby, I love LaunchBox!

i need help with it sir can you make a tut briefly for me same as you did to get it working?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Patham said:

Nothing to it really. Of course I only tried and tested two games so far. You need the Altirra emulator set up, I used version 2.8.1. It comes with an internal kernal bios that's supposed to work for a lot of stuff but I dropped the Atari bios in as well. Setting it up is as easy as downloading and unzipping the file. I kept everything in the same directory, ie., emu, bios, games. Then from LaunchBox>import roms> and when prompted for an emulator I added and set it as Altirra. It was that easy.

The really cool thing is using Altirra on it's own you must first insert the media your game is on, either cartridge or disk drive, and then load it. In LaunchBox I didn't set any default command lines, the Atari 800 uses cart1, cart2, flop1, flop2, and the like. Jawbreaker is a floppy disk, click play and it loads (you can see the and hear the floppy drive whirring) and it's game on. The 2nd game I tried was Pac Man and it's a cartridge and it loaded (faster as it's a cart) and played just as good. No need to switch any settings like you do using Altirra on it's own.

Even better, my PS4 dual shock controller worked right out of the gate without changing a thing. Happy, happy. :D

i think my folder is missing something and i can't get passed that blue screen... 

1.jpg

directory.jpg

16 minutes ago, Patham said:

Nothing to it really. Of course I only tried and tested two games so far. You need the Altirra emulator set up, I used version 2.8.1. It comes with an internal kernal bios that's supposed to work for a lot of stuff but I dropped the Atari bios in as well. Setting it up is as easy as downloading and unzipping the file. I kept everything in the same directory, ie., emu, bios, games. Then from LaunchBox>import roms> and when prompted for an emulator I added and set it as Altirra. It was that easy.

The really cool thing is using Altirra on it's own you must first insert the media your game is on, either cartridge or disk drive, and then load it. In LaunchBox I didn't set any default command lines, the Atari 800 uses cart1, cart2, flop1, flop2, and the like. Jawbreaker is a floppy disk, click play and it loads (you can see the and hear the floppy drive whirring) and it's game on. The 2nd game I tried was Pac Man and it's a cartridge and it loaded (faster as it's a cart) and played just as good. No need to switch any settings like you do using Altirra on it's own.

Even better, my PS4 dual shock controller worked right out of the gate without changing a thing. Happy, happy. :D

just added this to it

inside bios.jpg

ATARI bios collection.jpg

Edited by ResidentEvul13
more info

1 hour ago, Patham said:

You have the Additions disk attached. You need to go to File>Detach Disk>whatever drive number it's attached to, probably 1. And those are not the Atari 800 bios you have there so you should remove them, 5200, 7800, Jag, etc. What you're looking for is Atari 800 bios, like atariosa.rom or atariosb.rom, not for sure you need them though as some stuff will work with the built in kernal Altirra has.

Once you have that then to load a game, .atr are disk games and you attach them by File>Attach Disk>Drive 1>"name of your game.atr. Then System>Warm Reset and your game will load. For cartridge based games with the .rom extension File>Attach Cartridge and select your game from the pop up window. Then reset the as above. Hope this helps.

Like I said, it's really cool that in launchBox you don't have to do all that, just click and play regardless of the format. And without any extra command lines, very nice.

ok mate thx

To comment on your first post on here about launchbox taking over your life  I'll tell you what it sure has to me too I'm forever downloading games and emu's  downloading videos from  emumovies  or just being on here constantly ! I was a moderator on another site for   consoles 360 , ps3 , but the dude shut it down in december with no word or anything so I'm glad I found something else to do ! 

The other site was xyzmods  if any one knows a dude named paracrypt  from UK need to know if he's still alive ! Lol 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ptondo said:

To comment on your first post on here about launchbox taking over your life  I'll tell you what it sure has to me too I'm forever downloading games and emu's  downloading videos from  emumovies  or just being on here constantly ! I was a moderator on another site for   consoles 360 , ps3 , but the dude shut it down in december with no word or anything so I'm glad I found something else to do ! 

The other site was xyzmods  if any one knows a dude named paracrypt  from UK need to know if he's still alive ! Lol 

Cant help you there, but UK Represent!!! lol. :) 

• Like 2