LaunchBox Community Forums

Zombeaver's Retroarch PSX and Saturn Overrides

Zombeaver

It's in Quick Menu -> Core Options -> renderer

Tekken 3 is interlaced, I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to. It causes a distinctive type of artifacting during motion:

Interlaced_video_frame_(car_wheel).jpg

Tekken 2 isn't interlaced though.

In any case, it's not exactly an uncommon occurrence to run into visual oddities with the hardware renderers, especially once you start messing with the PGXP options. If the issue goes away when you switch to the non-HW core, I'm assuming it's a renderer issue. Software is, generally speaking, pretty flawless, so long as you understand you won't be able to do much in the way of upscaling (I don't upscale at all on PSX).

I have seen the bob-deinterlace.glsl and bob-and-ghost-deinterlace.glsl shaders (like in the actual application folder) but for some reason it doesn't appear in RA. I wonder if there is a reason why I those shaders did not appear in RA?

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken the main issue is the emulator itself? Because if I play the same game like in pSX or ePSXe, the game looks fine with no interlace.

22 hours ago, angel_x said:

I have seen the bob-deinterlace.glsl and bob-and-ghost-deinterlace.glsl shaders (like in the actual application folder) but for some reason it doesn't appear in RA. I wonder if there is a reason why I those shaders did not appear in RA?

They do appear in RA, they're just not setup as a shader preset. They're individual shader files. With content loaded, you can go to Quick Menu -> Shaders -> increase shader passes to 1 -> go to "Shader #0" and press whatever your accept button is assigned to, navigate to shaders_glsl -> misc and then select either bob-deinterlace.glsl or bob-and-ghost-deinterlace.glsl. Then go to the top of the shader menu and select "apply changes".

22 hours ago, angel_x said:

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken the main issue is the emulator itself? Because if I play the same game like in pSX or ePSXe, the game looks fine with no interlace.

The way the rendering engines work are completely different between ePSXe and Mednafen, so yes. Mednafen is much more accurate to the original hardware. If you hook up a real PSX to an LCD TV and play Tekken 3 you'll get the exact same interlacing.

I added the below games to my library, several of which needed overrides. Further details are on the sheet.

The Book of Watermarks
Blazing Dragons
Brain Dead 13
Chocobo Racing
Chocobo's Dungeon 2
Driver 2
ESPN Extreme Games
Rally Cross 2
Spot Goes To Hollywood
Ubik
Xena: Warrior Princess

Additionally, I altered the folder/core override name to match the updated core name (Beetle PSX HW instead of Mednafen PSX HW). The old location/name seemed to still be working with the existing overrides, but I noticed that any new overrides I created were automatically being placed in a new folder for Beetle PSX HW instead of Mednafen PSX HW so I just went ahead and migrated everything over.

Okay, the first batch of Saturn overrides are now available. There is a new tab on the audit sheet for specific details on the Saturn overrides.

I did things a little bit differently this time - I made my own custom Saturn overlay to go with it (I've been in the process of working on a full set) and adjusted each game to that size. Press the right thumb-stick button to go to the mapping overlay screen.

It should also be noted that, currently, disc swapping via either .m3us or manually appending them in the quick menu doesn't seem to work in RA Mednafen Saturn. It works fine in standalone Mednafen, but it seems to be broken currently in RA. For this reason, for multi-disc games I included multiple .cfgs where necessary to cover each disc individually.

Some notes about the core override (Mednafen Saturn.cfg) for reference:

-Lines 1-8 must remain in order for everything else to work correctly. Do not change or remove these.
-Line 9 is for the shader. You can change this to a different shader or remove it if you so choose.
-Lines 10-14 are for the overlay. You can remove or change these if you so choose.
     *Line 10 enables or disables ("false") the overlay itself
     *Line 11 specifies which overlay you want to use
     *Line 12 specifies the opacity of the overlay. If you have one enabled, you want this to be 1 (completely opaque)
     *Line 13 specifies the hotkey button to change to the next overlay in a sequence. In this case, it corresponds to the right thumb-stick button on a 360 controller. I've setup the overlay to default to the border, but pressing this will change it to a second overlay screen that shows the controller mapping.
     *Line 14 moves the x position of Retroarch's onscreen messages (like those that indicate a controller has been detected). This specific setting moves it farther right than normal because with an overlay enabled, it will block some of the text in the normal position.

59b737bb6f0cb_MednafenSaturnOverride.thumb.JPG.5ee62d8a4665a6833c92748ab94b4290.JPGI've got a saturated and desaturated border, and two options for the controller mapping. Desaturated and Burning Rangers are the defaults. If you want to change them, just delete "SegaSaturn.png" and "SegaSaturnMapping.png" and copy/rename the one you want to use in their place - name the one that you want to use for the border as "SegaSaturn.png" and the one you want to use for the mapping screen as "SegaSaturnMapping.png"

SegaSaturnPDSDesaturated.thumb.png.892ad00afebff20ebb7e5098f99c662f.pngSegaSaturnPDS.thumb.png.426a5af4f3e87224b0977b91254bf7c1.pngSegaSaturnMappingBurningRangers.thumb.png.2b205f9b6016f590a614836153e6bd2d.pngSegaSaturnMappingPolicenauts.thumb.png.fa2eaf6a2ff847206752f5e04b24e43e.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oilertitanfan said:

I just tried your Saturn configs and they work without any problem something is not correct with my RocketLauncher setup for Playstation.

I can't help you there. I don't use RocketLauncher.

I'm going to delete all these posts because they're kindof clogging up the thread and I'm of the impression there's either something bizarre with your setup causing the issue (i.e. something with RocketLauncher) or the game is simply working as intended and you're not realizing it. It sounds normal to me based on what you were describing. Clock Tower is supposed to have space at the top and bottom of the screen during gameplay, and it does cutoff the top of the screen on the initial loading screen.

One other thing I forgot to mention regarding the Saturn overrides (and just overlays in general) - I would advise adding the following to the AutoHotkey Script section for Retroarch in Launchbox:

MouseMove, 1920, 1080

What this will do is move the mouse cursor to the bottom right of the screen (if your resolution is 1920 x 1080; you can adjust the numbers if using a different resolution) so that it's no longer visible. The reason this is useful is that using overlays makes the mouse visible in Retroarch. This is because overlays are supposed to/can be interactive by clicking (even though nobody uses them for that) - source here. Using MouseMove ensures that it's out of sight regardless.

MouseMove.jpg.0d649c1ea0db3c2c7aaacc16745b7809.jpg

• Thanks 1

Probably pretty niche, but if you have a no intro set, or used a no intro xml to name your psx games, here's a zip with all of the psx overrides renamed for no intro. 

Renamed using the Hyperspin psx xml*

Also assumes the use of m3us for multidisk*

Lastly, I wasn't thinking about sharing and put these in my own overrides folder right off the bat, so the cfg for "Galarians" and "Chrono Cross" may or may not be mine... 

P.S Awesome as always Zombeaver.

Updated:

Now includes .opt files and more renamed configs. Total count is 172.

Chrono Cross now correct

Not renamed or available in this zip:

*SLUS (three files with a bunch of numbers)

*Ubik-PSX-PAL 

Attempted to honor region where possible. 

Zomb's psx Overrides No Intro.7z

Edited by fromlostdays

Thanks @fromlostdays! I can confirm that that config for Chrono Cross is not mine.

Yours:

aspect_ratio_index = "21"

Mine:

video_scale_integer = "true"
game_specific_options = "true"
aspect_ratio_index = "22"
input_libretro_device_p1 = "517"
input_player1_analog_dpad_mode = "0"

I don't actually see one for Galerians in there though.

Honestly those are the only two games I play a lot, and I saw those two game names with three files in there when I merged your cfgs (before I was thinking about sharing the renames). Two of them were .ort (maybe .opt) files which I deleted before zipping the above, as I don't know what they are. :D The chrono cross one must have been the only survivor. 

It did also just occur to me that I prioritized USA. This is something else to note for people who prefer other versions of the games. Again, not for everyone, but might save a few people a little time. 

Fun fact: I either automatically where I could, or manually renamed every system I have according to no intro naming, haha. It was a hell of a task, as I have 180 plus systems and theres only like what 30 actual no intro sets. B| Renaming a set of psx or saturn bins + cues by hand is.... daunting. 

Edited by fromlostdays

You should keep the .opt files too. Those are core option overrides. These are enabled via "Content Specific Core Options: On" in the RA UI or via the line "game_specific_options: true" which is part of the base core override I've included.

Basically these are the same thing as overrides but specifically for core options. These are for specific (and fairly rare) use scenarios. As an example, Codename Tenka won't start if you have two memory cards inserted (which is the default). You can disable the second card in the core options, but I didn't want to do that for all games, just that specific one. A core option file (.opt) let's you do that on a one-off case.