LaunchBox Community Forums

REQUEST - Show controller mappings before launching game?

The IVI

14 minutes ago, jeck11 said:

I would love to see @SentaiBrad, @ETAPRIME, or @Crush create a tutorial video for setting this up. I love the look you've come up with. 

Edit: added Prime since his tutorial videos always rock.

Unfortunately, I'm not doing the tutorials anymore for us. I am more than happy to help out in other ways, like on our forums, but unless I did something on my personal channel (which right now I am not looking to do, I am looking at more creative things), then I wont be doing it. I do appreciate the kind words and that I came up in your thought. I do miss helping with my videos, I miss that process a lot. I love creating videos like this.

37 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

I dig it. I've been making mine with backgrounds but doing them with transparency might be cool too

It depends. I am using transparency plus drop shadows for a pseudo 3D view of the controller, but depending on the game/console the image may become overcrowded - especially with handhelds like DS which have "very busy" bezels.

1 hour ago, Crush said:

It depends. I am using transparency plus drop shadows for a pseudo 3D view of the controller, but depending on the game/console the image may become overcrowded - especially with handhelds like DS which have "very busy" bezels.

Yeah, that's true.

I recently tried out @Nyny77's bezel overlays and I really liked them but when I discovered that there wasn't a vertical one for MAME I figured "Eh, I'll just make one of my own." and that led to "Well maybe I'll make a few more." and "Maybe I'll start making some for other systems..." :P The handheld ones (that actually show the device as the border + appropriate shader) that come with RA are already exactly what I want for those systems so I probably won't be doing any of those. Still early days at this point but I've been having fun working on them (and now the controller ones too).

MAMEVerticalIkaruga.thumb.png.00001df3cc8de79b4f94c5b832783d77.pngMAMEVerticalMushi.thumb.png.ad82fc6c0aa4ca653addaf1c9933c245.pngMAMEVerticalGradius.thumb.png.c37d521426bd83a6ced2ac22dd3a2392.pngSNESChronoTrigger.thumb.png.9dc19e68886355bb31a1cec1dd51acc1.pngSNESContra3.thumb.png.8fe1848e8e6b5250b99de06c46e07916.pngSNESContra3Desaturated.thumb.png.b0a63156f84eae19da25617769bbadfa.png

1 hour ago, wemr97dl said:

What software are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Photoshop.

• Like 1

I have a second 7" monitor below my main display 32" in my arcade cabinet, using CP wizard and CP wizbiz I was able to display the control image on the 2nd monitor during gameplay with my old hyper spin setup. i haven't messed with it yet on the new Computer and Bigbox. Rocket launcher has built in support for it so it should work, but I want to get all my systems in properly first. For Same CP wizard displays the controls for each game by your mapping, button 1-jump, button 2 fire etc. You just have to set up your controls once, It can even display different images for other controls such as trackball, lightgun etc. Its a nice little program but support is not very good its a bit older. CP wizbiz after configuring  is to take care of all the none MAME platforms. I was Just starting to try it out when I had to replace my old computer but looks very promising. I believe There is a post here for CP wizbiz  and CP Wizard can be found on the BYOAC forums.

Thanks @wemr97dl - I am actually looking into that program now based on others recommending it as well.  I like the idea of a 7" screen to show controls.  I'll have to test it out.  I have room for it under my 32 inch as well.  If it doesn't do what I want I'll continue developing my own.  

NOTE: The latest version of CP Wizard 2.60 released in February has a bug: when you create a label and change text size to 8 points, it is saved as 8,25 in the xml and the layout is messed up upon reloading!

You can still fix the problem by manually editing the xml file. I already informed Headsoft about this...

I have it working well with CPWizard and CPWizBiz on a second monitor.  Takes some configuration but once you get it going it works seamlessly. Thanks for that recommendation @Crush .  I actually ordered a 7 inch display to add to the cabinet since I was so pleased with it and @stigzler was great.  He quickly pointed me in the right direction to fix the minor issues I was having.  

Next thing I am trying to figure out is how to mass add application to games because on the BigBox/Launchbox end, each game has to be configured to launch CPWizBiz with the executable plus the arguments for each emulator and/or game.  I was hoping Launchbox had a way to maybe do a %game%, and/or %emulator% variable which will know the values.  That way in each application section for the games you could have the following:

CPWizBiz.exe -gm "%Game%" -em "%Emulator% 

Here's what I did...  Mind you, I'm still new to all of this so I haven't had a chance to look into CPWizBiz and I'm not a fan of Retroarch..

Step 1:  Put a Number or "A" starting game first off in your Favorites to a platform.

Step 2:  Add a file showing button mapping as the Marquee for that game.

This way as soon as you click on a platform it brings the controls for that system up.  It's the easiest way I could figure out to work in the system.

NES_2.png

PC_Games-1.png

RocketLauncher does it. Hyperpause -> Controller, and you can put whatever image you want to show your mapping.

That's what I've done, even the loading screen is much better than the BigBox one, and I set up everything in less than an hour without previous RocketLauncher experience

• 1 year later...
On 3/13/2017 at 5:54 PM, The IVI said:

@Crush could you possibly show the code that you use for AHK, I always have a hard time dealing with it.

Also, I have been working on X360 controller layouts, because a lot of people will probably prefer to use those over the DS4 ones I have made for myself.

GameBoy Advance Setup (X360).png

GameBoy Color Setup (X360).png

GameBoy Setup (X360).png

Nintendo Entertainment System Setup (X360).png

Can you post the PSD for the Xbox 360 ones shown here?

11 hours ago, oakleez said:

It would be amazing if someone could turn these into one of the startup themes featured in launchbox 9.2.  I'm also hoping they add "advance on button press" to that feature instead of just a timer.  That would be a perfect combo for these controller maps!

I second this.