LaunchBox Community Forums

Moving LaunchBox from one PC to another

chapel

If all of your roms and emulators are on the save hard drive as LaunchBox, it will use a relative path. It doesn't need to just be inside of the LB folder. If things have a relative path, then you don't need to make sure drive letters match, just that the file structure from the root of the hard drive stays the same on another hard drive.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
3 minutes ago, eddieo said:

Can I just cut and paste .you whole launchbox folder to external without having to import all my roms again they are in my launchbox folder all ready

Yes, if everything you need, including roms and emulator are in the Launchbox folder, it's completely portable.

• 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, mangomango said:

I just tried this. Emulators that need to be installed will not work when you move them to a new computer. The paths are all correct but the emulators all say they are not installed. It looks like Im startig from scratch.

i can only think off the top of my head of one emulator that needs to be "installed" the rest are usually just zips that you can unzip anywhere and run.

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

i can only think off the top of my head of one emulator that needs to be "installed" the rest are usually just zips that you can unzip anywhere and run.

What about the many arcade dumps that require additional files and framework to be placed on C drive? All that has to be put back.

6 minutes ago, mangomango said:

What about the many arcade dumps that require additional files and framework to be placed on C drive? All that has to be put back.

Those are not emulators, so its a moot point, its like complaining that your actual PC games dont work when just copy pasting them from one PC to another. When installing games other things are also usually installed, like directx, as well as many others, so they need to be on the PC you are moving too. Most emulators, dont need any additional drivers and such installed to use them.

This thread is about moving Launchbox which is a portable program and does not need installing and starting from scratch on a new PC.

11 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Those are not emulators, so its a moot point, its like complaining that your actual PC games dont work when just copy pasting them from one PC to another. When installing games other things are also usually installed, like directx, as well as many others, so they need to be on the PC you are moving too. Most emulators, dont need any additional drivers and such installed to use them.

This thread is about moving Launchbox which is a portable program and does not need installing and starting from scratch on a new PC.

You obviously don't have a setup like mine, Jack. Yes, Launchbox is portable, but there are dozens of arcade dumps that require files like *.dll be placed on C. Dragging and dropping to a new computer (which what this thread is about) ain't gonna work with a complex setup because now I have to go thru each game to see if It runs and what files I have to move from my old windows folder. 

Edited by mangomango

8 minutes ago, mangomango said:

You obviously don't have a setup like mine, Jack. Yes, Launchbox is portable, but there are dozens of arcade dumps that require files like *.dll be placed on C. Dragging and dropping to a new computer (which what this thread is about) ain't gonna work with a complex setup because now I have to go thru each game to see if It runs and what files I have to move from my old windows folder. 

Well thats not the problem of Launchbox, its the problem of the games YOU chose to import to it. Again, this thread is about moving Launchbox, not every single thing that you may of imported to it, i mean i could import google chrome to Launchbox if i wanted, but i wouldnt expect that to copy/paste to another PC.