LaunchBox Community Forums

Arcade Playlists Missing Games

solidmeister

22 minutes ago, Owls21 said:

I pulled up the hyperlist Sega Model 2 database (https://hyperlist.hyperspin-fe.com/)

Their total shows 66 games. My full 0.198 import shows 34.

I haven't cross-checked the entire list yet, but using Daytona as an example, their list has 8 versions.

image.thumb.png.9c42b8a24ab1c67aabc99d5f72f19680.pngMy LaunchBox entry shows the 4 versions, missing daytonat, daytonata, daytonagtx, and daytonam, all of which are in the MAME full set.

image.thumb.png.d3fb69edb86e0a8526a929e0ddfa636b.pngHope that helps

Without diving in deep, my guess would be that the remaining games are not in your collection because you filtered them out on import. Unless you unchecked all the boxes, many of them will get filtered out. Most likely they're being filtered out because they're not working games.

4 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Without diving in deep, my guess would be that the remaining games are not in your collection because you filtered them out on import. Unless you unchecked all the boxes, many of them will get filtered out. Most likely they're being filtered out because they're not working games.

The last attempt at importing is detailed above. I unchecked the box for skipping unplayable ROMs, so I thought that would include everything. I left everything else checked (skipped). But as was mentioned before, that option causes all sorts of devices/machines to be imported. 

If you leave it checked (skipping unplayable) the playlists are even leaner. 

1 hour ago, Owls21 said:

My LaunchBox entry shows the 4 versions, missing daytonat, daytonata, daytonagtx, and daytonam, all of which are in the MAME full set.

image.thumb.png.d3fb69edb86e0a8526a929e0ddfa636b.pngHope that helps

According to mame those other versions you are missing are hacks. You would have had to uncheck the box for "Skip hacked games" as well.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Owls21 said:

The last attempt at importing is detailed above. I unchecked the box for skipping unplayable ROMs, so I thought that would include everything. I left everything else checked (skipped). But as was mentioned before, that option causes all sorts of devices/machines to be imported. 

If you leave it checked (skipping unplayable) the playlists are even leaner. 

Without diving in deeper, it could be any number of the items that you left checked. If I understand correctly, you only unchecked the "Skip games unplayable in MAME" box, which leaves the 13 other reasons to skip checked, including hacks, prototypes, non-arcade games, etc. We use the MAME metadata pretty much exactly as it's available in order to determine what to skip.

That said, I just checked the MAME XML (straight from MAME itself), and it does NOT include some of the Daytona games you reference above, so my best guess at this point is that you're comparing against non-MAME games. Again, the playlists are only created for games in the MAME arcade lists.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

I'm guessing maybe the screenshot list above is outdated or something; that could be a possibility too.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think @Retro808 hit it. Those 4 are classified as hacks. I had no idea. 

As far as "dayton93" goes, that XML must be outdated as I remember updating my set recently and one of the updates was a name change from "dayton93" to "daytona93"

Since some of these playlists need to be created manually (Model 3, Naomi, etc), is there a process for maintaining these playlists when we update the rom set? I haven't tried yet, but was thinking I could copy the playlist files from the LB folder, then put them back after a new import. Would hat work? Is there be a better way?

13 hours ago, Owls21 said:

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think @Retro808 hit it. Those 4 are classified as hacks. I had no idea. 

As far as "dayton93" goes, that XML must be outdated as I remember updating my set recently and one of the updates was a name change from "dayton93" to "daytona93"

Since some of these playlists need to be created manually (Model 3, Naomi, etc), is there a process for maintaining these playlists when we update the rom set? I haven't tried yet, but was thinking I could copy the playlist files from the LB folder, then put them back after a new import. Would hat work? Is there be a better way?

If you create manual playlists, as long as you're not naming them the same as the existing ones, you shouldn't have to worry about them ever being removed or overwritten. So that shouldn't really be an issue.

27 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

If you create manual playlists, as long as you're not naming them the same as the existing ones, you shouldn't have to worry about them ever being removed or overwritten. So that shouldn't really be an issue.

When updating the rom set, I would remove all MAME roms from the library, and then re-import the updated set. Doesn't clearing out all of the MAME roms from the main library empty all playlists?

1 minute ago, Owls21 said:

When updating the rom set, I would remove all MAME roms from the library, and then re-import the updated set. Doesn't clearing out all of the MAME roms from the main library empty all playlists?

Actually, no, it wouldn't. Games would either be marked as missing, if using a manually populated playlist, or just not show up if it was an auto-populate playlist. They would then show back up when games were back in there.

3 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Actually, no, it wouldn't. Games would either be marked as missing, if using a manually populated playlist, or just not show up if it was an auto-populate playlist. They would then show back up when games were back in there.

Ah, did not know that. Awesome stuff!

Is there any way to maintain favorite status during a re-import?

11 minutes ago, Owls21 said:

Ah, did not know that. Awesome stuff!

Is there any way to maintain favorite status during a re-import?

Well playlists are one option (just throw all your favorites into a playlist before doing it, then batch edit the games in the playlist to re-favorite them). That said, it shouldn't really be necessary to remove all the games and re-import when a new version of MAME comes out. You can just re-run the importer and it'll import anything new and keep all the current games.