LaunchBox Community Forums

I still keep an eye out for Japanese games that I may have missed.  Sometimes I have a hard time with that because Japanese language with English lettering is inaccurate.  Something like 'Yoko' could be 'Youko' or 'Yokou', thus making it hard to search for it.  But, I did look for lists of games that are English friendly, or English translated (even better).  

Right now, I'm watching Game Sack's 'Left in Japan' series to find more games that I might have missed.  Lots of great suggestions there.  Although, I'm having a hard time finding good ISOs for some of the Sega Saturn and Playstation games they mention.  Those take a lot of time to download, so it's been a slow process.  Generally, I've been sticking with 'Darkwater' dumps because they seem to work best.

Still looking for a decent dump for 'Harmful Park' for the PS1.  That game looks cool.

• Like 2

Just added the SHMUPS (PS1) Playlist.  It was a daunting task to find all those games, and I finally have a working set for all of them.  But, the problem was that I couldn't find them all in one place.  I had a little help finding some (Thank You).

I also did a bit of research on how to name bin/cue files properly, which you may have to do for some of these.

I also discovered that EBOOT.PBP files will work on Retroarch (I wish I knew that earlier, they are so easy to work with).  I recommend finding the EBOOT files first, if you can.

Good Luck

-MV

• Like 1

@Patham

I had no clue, either. I installed ePSXe to play the EBOOTS because I figured it was a good alternative if I couldn't find good bin/cue's for Retroarch.  I loaded the games on Launchbox and forgot to set up the ePSXe emulator on one of the games ,behold, the game was playing on Retroarch with all my nice settings.  I thought it wasn't possible,  I was reading through other sites and they mostly mention that it doesn't work.  I'm still scratching my head.  

So yeah, this opens a very big door, doesn't it? :)

• Like 1

Lots of new games added in the 1.4 update.

Got my Saturn (Retroarch) emulator running pretty decent.  Still having some lag issues.  Too bad there are no save states on it though.  (awww, This will force me to actually play the games like they were supposed to, LOL!)

So, I added a Shmups playlist for Saturn.  Galactic Attack is pretty cool, but I discovered that it also has 3 other names; 'Layer Section' on the Japanese Saturn, and also 'Rayforce' and 'Gunlock' in the arcade. 'Layer Section II' did not get a release outside of Japan.  But it is also known as 'Raystorm' on PS1 and in the arcades.  

So I added 'Ray Force' (note that it is with a 'space' to match the LB database and MAME) in the arcade playlist because it is part of a trilogy: Rayforce, Raystorm and Raycrisis.  But I didn't want to remove Gunlock from the arcade playlist because it is easier to get the media for it.  I grabbed the proper media for 'Rayforce' from the EmuMovies FTP.  Sorry for the *double*, but I thought it might make sense to see that it was part of a trilogy.

I've been working on these playlists as I've been adding emulators and roms to my launchbox.  It looks like I got most of the popular and easy-to-install emulators.  But it's been getting harder as I progress.  I tried emulating Saturn months ago, but I passed on it because I didn't figure it out.  Now I have it running pretty clean, but it took a long time to figure out which roms to find and how to get them to work. 'Darkwater' and 'ReDump' are always a safe bet for bin/cue files.  But .ccd files also work on RetroArch as another resort.

N64, Gamecube, and Wii don't have many shmups at all.  I may group those together in a miscellaneous list in the future.

PS2 emulation isn't too much of a problem for me, I'll be working on a SHMUPS list for that.  The only thing slowing me down is the iso file sizes.  I haven't attempted Dreamcast yet.  But, it doesn't seem like too much of a hassle.

Last night, I started with Sharp X68000 and what a friggin' nightmare!  Getting the roms to work on Launchbox is a HUGE hassle, and I don't really like the setting choices on the emulator (I like scanlines...no option there, and analog stick only?).  BUT, there are a TON of shmups for it (I counted about 90 so far).  I'll eventually have a cool playlist for it, but in this case I have to add each game to my Launchbox   one...... at...... a...... time.  

Anyways, have fun with those playlists.  At this point I think I've scraped the bottom of the barrel for those systems.  Enjoy!

-MV

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update 1.5 is up.

New playlists for Dreamcast, PS2 and PSP.

Been playing around with some emulators for these.  

Demul works best for the Dreamcast games.  I haven't been able to fully run any games on the Riecast core in Retroarch, but I am using a Windows PC.  I heard Riecast was made to work on smart devices.

I'm using PCSX2 1.4.0 for the PS2 games, and it works okay mostly.  Having a few graphic glitches on a few games.

The PPSSPP core on Retroarch works on most of the games, but it is outdated.  I decided to use the latest standalone PPSSPP emulator and I'm having no problems with it.  It looks great on fullscreen.

Also, the NES Shmup library got a pretty big update.  I couldn't believe I missed some of those.  One game that really stands out is  'Uchuu Keibitai SDF' made by Hal Laboratory.  It looks and feels like a really good Konami shmup.  Check it out. :)

• Like 2

I think the only difference is that the Famicom Disk version has a text intro and a select screen that was missing in the NA cart.  Not sure, but maybe the music sounds a bit different.  I have to try it myself. 

100 Million?  Nuts!  I think he's at 59,000,000 at this time of writing.  Almost 12 hours in...what if he has to pee?

• Like 1