LaunchBox Community Forums

WIP No Art Assets - Commodore 64

Lassiveran

Hi, All I've decided to try and give back to the talented LaunchBox community and have started working on placeholder media.  I figured I would work on the computer systems as they seem to be lacking the most.  I have almost finished the cassette tape artwork and I will roll out that with the other art assets this weekend.  I am looking for any suggestions and constructive criticism.  Be kind, I'm a hobbyist and not a professional Graphic Designer. :-)   ~ Lassiveran

58df06e6cb84f_Atarirev2.thumb.png.2e0badbe9af813d1b151f69b9ebd664a.png58df06fb60a59_3DBoxart.thumb.png.72daa3dcbc9c5c16565a34ca3efd58a2.pngLogo.thumb.png.e5cc979f0680f04f0895e1625cf4229c.pngBoxart.thumb.png.94eb86e2c47df3ff847928ed0af25961.png

• Like 3

Considering that most of the other box art is 2D, I've decided not to take advantage of the 3D Box art as it does not look right in Big Box.  I think I may wish to develop separate images for each title missing art assets rather than using a straight "No Boxart Title".  Something similar to the following screenshots as an example.  Time consuming yes, but I think the end result is worth the effort.  What do you guys think?  

10 Pin (Europe) - Fanart - Box - Front.png

10 Pin (Europe) - Fanart - Clear Logo.png

10 Pin (Europe) - Fanart - Disc.png

10 Pin (Europe) - Screenshot - Game Title.jpg

10 Pin (Europe) - Screenshot - Gameplay 01.jpg

10 Pin (Europe) - Screenshot - Gameplay 02.jpg

• Like 3

I decided to do another revision of the front box art as I wasn't entirely happy with revision 258e18329245ad_Commodore64BoxFrontRev3.thumb.png.1b9a74f4faf695af92da5a89d375db87.png.  This one I added some grunge for aesthetic purposes.  I have one without the grunge but I'm torn on which one to move forward with.  What do you guys like better?  

~Lassiveran

• Like 1

Thanks for the Feedback.  I've included the revision 4 below without the grunge.  I will proceed this week with mass producing missing box fronts with my fan made version.  Once I finish with those I'll move onto Clear Logos and then Cassette/Floppy assets.  I will get the Box Fronts out as soon as there finished as I feel they are more sought after.  In Big Box I feel it looks a lot better having the placeholder assets.

~ Lassiveran

58e1a05934bba_Commodore64BoxFrontRev4.thumb.png.9c51a9b0f52a37cfab88eb6b7468d712.png
58e1a0604651e_Assetsinbigbox.thumb.jpg.0e9ac05576ec5b47024b5d5f68b184c1.jpg

• Like 2

I look at it as a hobby, Both the Commodore 64 and the Amiga have a special place in my nostalgic heart.  I just put on the 80's tunes and work away.  I did make some design decisions after I got started which required me to redo some covers.

I'm currently working off a cabinet friendly list of originals.  I will work on those first then move to larger sets.  I will do as many as I can to fill in some of the holes so we don't end up have 1000's of "No Box Image" pics.  Some of the covers lend themselves to additional creativity.  Straight text adventure pics are boring by themselves so I added a little more art to them.  I have managed to located a few box covers as I have been going through the list.  If I did any work on the images either cropping or other adjustments, I will include them in the release as well.  Also now I have included primary controller information in the form of a joystick or keyboard icon I created as well as number of player details.  Also you will notice a code for gamebase64.  

Once I get further into this I will welcome the help.  

Here is a sample from of the 200 I have finished already so you can see what I mean about changes in design consideration.  I'm thinking if I have help with data entry into the database I may release alphabet sets of 5 or so.  This will give someone the opportunity to start entering them.

~ Cheers Lassiveran

58e714903d1cd_c64boxfrontsample.thumb.jpg.65c1fceedaca436d00fe18b02117c4d4.jpg

Edited by Lassiveran
  • Like 2

On 4/8/2017 at 9:55 PM, Lassiveran said:

Version 0.2.0 has been released covering 170 box fronts from # to E.  I also included 2 versions of a generic "No Box Art" image (Default and Glitch Screen).

Are you keeping up with Commodore? :-)

Lassiveran

A new version should be up Monday morning that has 80 additional box fronts from F to J.  Its just running through a compression program to reduce image sizes.

Cheers

• Like 1

Version 1.0.0 released this morning bringing the total box fronts to 512.

Roadmap to 2.0 will feature missing box fronts from the Official Set.  Prior to starting work on 2.0.0, I will be releasing a themed Clear Logo Pack.  Once Commodore 64 is finished I will begin working on

58f3670f21cea_Atarirev1.png.ac00997256d3f7754760ce732203973d.pngHappy Easter

• Like 1

They have been all approved cept a couple now, i am not sure if i messed up as i listed them as fan art - front and i am not sure if lb automatically uses these images if a normal box front is not available. I may have to add them all again in the main catogory. Can anyone tell me either way?

i have not had time to do any latley and will really depend on work/family as to when i can do more, please feel free to grab a pack and add them yourself if you get the time.

there was also a few rejections, like "bowling" which has several different versions from different publishers(i listed them as per the file name) but still got regected, i will re up and try them again. 18 according to this site, not sure what we can do about it

http://www.gamebase64.com/search.php?f=0&t=0&s=Bowling&searchSubmit=Go!&d=18&h=1&a=0

if you want to help leave which letter you are doing, i was only able to do from # to E for the time being

Edited by massatomic
  • Like 1