LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroHumanoid - RocketLauncher Experience project for Fade/Pause

RetroHumanoid

wow now that is something id like, could i use clear logos from my launchbox folder? or does it require it to be in the RL folder? Do you have a video that shows off all your fade screens and bezels? I seen the scummvm video you did had all the art shown off at the end. Thanks again

Now comes the long-winded explanation,lol....

Ok,I'm not sure about LaunchBox integration for wheels and RocketLauncher logos,as I do not use LaunchBox currently...I'm not even sure if Hyperspin wheels will display from their front-end folder either though...because I advise against it...here's why - 

Not all wheels are the same. Some wheels are 700x300...some are 250x250.....etc. , and the way you set them up in RocketLauncher gives you a couple options...

1. Set them up with boundaries,meaning the wheel will never be larger then your preset boundaries (ex. 500x300),then place that somewhere on your fade screen...but, this ends up making alot of wheels look distorted and stretched,while making others look normal.

2. Set them up with no boundaries,meaning they will display the same size as the wheels natural dimensions...but,this ends up having some wheels going off screen either vertically or horizontally,depending on the wheel...and it does not maintain a uniformed look across the systems.

So,what I do,is make my own wheel set specifically for RocketLauncher. Most of the time when it comes to RocketLauncher media,I make it separate from my front end as much as possible,so if and when I decide to switch front-ends,it keeps the work load minimal. 

I take a blank png image,that's 400x175..then take each wheel set and run them through AutoKustom with that blank image as the background,and the wheel centered on it. After the wheels are created,I use files2folders and it places every wheel into an individual folder named after the wheel.This creates a brand new wheel set which I place into my 'RocketLauncher/Media/Logos/(SystemName)/'.

The end result is a clean,uniformed wheel set,that displays evenly no matter what the size of the initial wheel was. I set RLUI to use a boundary of 400x175,then enter the coordinates to place it on the lower right of the fade screen.

RocketLauncher will use these logos for Fade and Pause screens.

aaaaannndddd breathe....

edit: one thing I would like to add though,is that if you use a custom wheel such as this...

AJS-MAME.png.db99d6ed3f32112406a1c4337a1cbfcc.png
which already has predefined boundaries....well then you won't have to make the custom wheels yourself...you just place the dimensions of the custom wheels into RLUI

Edited by RetroHumanoid

Just now, Porl Hendy said:

Makes sense :) thanks for saving me from potentially ruining my set up lol I have used AutoKustom in the past a long time ago. Do you upload the modified wheel art too? Thanks again for the big write up 

No Problem...I did upload the modified wheel art for Virtual Boy...and planned to do it for the rest of the systems as well,but,have not had the time to finish what I started. I have alot of them done...I just need to zip/upload that's all...I'll see what I can do,and if I can get that out with the 500 Genesis soundtracks I am currently finishing up in the next couple days.

• Like 2

Gday RetroHumanoid

quick question if I may, I just downloaded and enable fades in RL, when I boot a game I get the fade come in, then Retroarch flashes quickly then returns to fade before launching with bezel.

Any idea how to stop this flash from RA?

Gday RetroHumanoid

quick question if I may, I just downloaded and enable fades in RL, when I boot a game I get the fade come in, then Retroarch flashes quickly then returns to fade before launching with bezel.

Any idea how to stop this flash from RA?

absolutely....i just made a video about that...

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@RetroHumanoid That would be awesome if you could upload the modified wheel art. That totally makes sense what you said up above because some of my wheel art seems out of proportion in the fade screens. I am using your same RL settings as well and I just ran a couple of wheels through autokustom with the suggestions you gave above and the wheels that I did look perfect in the fade now. You are an all star sir!:)

• Like 1

so in your video you call the bezels from retroach, but I am using RL to call the bezels.

I got very frustrated with RL and bezels one day and that's why I have RL installed, so the only way to stop this flashing is to have RA call the bezels?

I call them from RA...but, RL sends all of the configuration yes. While this may seem unnecessary to a point,RL actually allows you to call on config files per system..where as RA only calls them per core...which makes setting it all up in RL worth it imo.

Ahh...glad you got it settled,even though I didn't really help you,lol.

I guess I just prefer to set them up where RA calls them...if i remember correctly,when i tried the windowed RA with bezels on in RL,the RA menu was all wonky...but,probably a setting i missed.

I'm thinking that maybe that way it's easier, since rocketlauncher sometimes has trouble with getting windows to place right, issues with fullscreen stuff, etc.  If you can get retroarch to do it all on it's own then it might be smoother.  For all my handhelds I have these really cool overlays I found a long time ago that went with the shaders this person made.  So the shaders call their own overlay.  I still have rocketlauncher launch retroarch, but once the rocketlauncher fade is over, then retroarch is started with the overlay/shader already there.

I chose RA overlays for a couple reasons actually...

1. There is alot more potential in what RA overlays can do,with more settings in RA then there are in RL to adjust them. (Touch screen ability for one)

2. It was the road less traveled,and I like to learn stuff. 

Other then that,they are identical results ....for now

• Like 1

Added 492 Sega Genesis Soundtracks w/proper tags and cover art, as well as a custom wheel set,a Legend of Zelda Collection fade/menu logo set,and made some updates to the artwork on about 30 fades. 

The official release video is here...

59293b24700e9_ZeldaSample.thumb.png.b8ba550117c1ef19ac41effb3b049a95.png

Edited by RetroHumanoid
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...