LaunchBox Community Forums

8.0 feature list

neohusky

On 4/6/2017 at 11:43 AM, Belgarath said:

Mobygames has been around for 18 years

Just of note Mobygames has an API as of March...  MobyGames' data in an API for not-for-profit use (and commercial use under certain circumstances - PM me either way!), and we've had 30+ people sign up for API access so far.   

Edited by krystyin
  • Like 1

It looks like it was copy and paste data. When you copy font from some sites, the color data will stay, and since the reply box is white with normally dark text, and changes to white text after you submit it, it's hard to notice unless you double check your post. At least in this case.

I'd love to see more done on;

1. Games Database (Ratings, pinball info, etc)
  2. Better support for pinball especially Future pinball and individual Pinball FX tables
  3. Adding global menu items to Big Box, such as Kodi
  4. Native support and download function for game bezels (I could ditch rocketlauncher if this existed)
  5. Raspberry Pi edition of Big Box
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kriven said:

What do you mean by this? Global Menu Items?

I would imagine being able to launch items such as KODI or a Jukebox program directly from the main menu as opposed to the program needing to be in a platform. It's something I don't think most people even realize is missing from Launchbox. Here is a ticket people can vote on if they would like to see this happen.

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/1521/ability-to-launch-a-program-or-game-from

Edited by jaythompson
  • Like 1

What do you mean? Like using Bigbox to launch more Bigbox windows? I've heard of being able to do that (out of necessity since there are no sub categories) in Hyperspin, but I'm not sure why you'd want to in Launchbox since we now have Platform Categories. Just curious. 

I use my LaunchBox for all different sorts of media to have a consistent visual browsing experience, but that means making some sacrifices when it comes to organizing metadata. Platform Categories has cleaned things up considerably, but there's still littler irksome things in my collection that can't be avoided without doing it completely differently. For instance, right now I am using Playlists to organize music by artists (each album is a "game" and the playlist is the artist name), but Playlists can't share names, so if I have a musician who is also an actor, I end up with playlists like "Lindsay Lohan (as Musician)" and "Lindsay Lohan (as Actor)." Being able to use different Big Box libraries in a clean way would fix this issue for me. But it isn't a huge deal.

• Like 1

Understood. We're getting closer to that kind of functionality but it definitely still needs some work. Sub categories/playlists and being able to launch an app as it's own platform or platform category would certainly help. Launchbox is already the most flexible in this regard but I hope it can be made even better. I have comics and I'd like to be able to separate them out by title, so I understand where you're coming from with the music example.

• Like 1

Comics are actually a whole other ballpark for me. It would be awesome to be able to include each individual issue as its own "Game" and use Playlists to manage the volumes (although at that point Playlists would need Region sorting...). Right now I have each volume as a game and just use quick keys in CDisplay to jump to whatever issue I need. I used to use Additional Apps to manage issues, but that became way too time consuming.

I understand that. I don't think I'll ever be through organizing my collections, but I do kind of enjoy it. Right now I try to just clean up one item per category (Literature, Games, Movies, Comics, and Music) per day. That includes whatever artwork I need to make it look pretty in Big Box and whatever else I do for my own needs with the collection. It makes me happy to know that there's a group of us using LaunchBox for more than just video games, though. Maybe we could all group up and work on some kind of impromptu metadata database :P

• Like 2

On 4/9/2017 at 0:43 PM, bundangdon said:

As mentioned above, something like this (a "before and after" example below) with a generic boxart being available for each platform would be very nice :)1.jpg.4ffb5ce1277afa2f6221b96ec666ce91.jpg2.jpg.3d615f6360a61b40c8e17717477ace30.jpg 

I really like this idea, with one change - instead of the 'no boxart' text, have LB generate the covers on the fly with the game name on there, so instead of 'no boxart' it would be 'mr do'. I have seen some kodi skins do this for disc artwork.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2017 at 9:33 PM, snarfo67 said:

Improvements to the database and an integrated PDF/document viewer controllable with a controller! Sorry, just warming up my voting fingers prematurely...

On 4/6/2017 at 9:39 PM, Charco said:

Yep, I have a lot of pdfs taking up space on my HDD that I can't navigate with my gamepad in Big Box ?

Guys,

I have put together a download for a preconfigured Sumatra pdf with joytokey to view pdfs with a controller from BB.

• Like 2