LaunchBox Community Forums

Windows 10 Creator's Update

angelobodetti

Thanks for the reply Brad. 

I've managed to sort it out and am back up and running. I installed what I thought was all the VC distro's, but come to find out I was missing a few. I ran across a nice 'lil installer package off of Major Geeks that installed every 32-bit and 64-bit build for me, updates and all so after a reboot, I'm happy to report that not only is Rocket Launcher working for me now, but also LB is back to it's good old self. I was ready to do a fresh install and rebuild a 20k title library . So glad i didn't...

We do have a log system in place, some of which is already included in the error reports. There is a DebugLog option that you can manually enable though in the Settings.xml file, though that isn't used for a whole lot now that we have the logs included in there error reports. The thing is though, if the whole app is just crashing without you seeing any error messages, then there's not really anything we can do to log or recover any information at that point. All I can figure is there still must be something severely messed up on the system. Windows does have some built-in reporting for application crashes if you check the event log, though they're not usually all that useful. Unfortunately it's going to be very difficult to figure it out; it probably has to do with drivers, DirectX, or .NET somehow being corrupted.

The first thing I would do is install a fresh copy of LaunchBox to a separate folder and see if you still have the issue after adding a few games.

1 minute ago, alexis524 said:

Thanks for the reply Brad. 

I've managed to sort it out and am back up and running. I installed what I thought was all the VC distro's, but come to find out I was missing a few. I ran across a nice 'lil installer package off of Major Geeks that installed every 32-bit and 64-bit build for me, updates and all so after a reboot, I'm happy to report that not only is Rocket Launcher working for me now, but also LB is back to it's good old self. I was ready to do a fresh install and rebuild a 20k title library . So glad i didn't...

Ha, we were responding at the same time. That's interesting, I guess something you installed must have repaired the faulty library. :)

I've learned quite a bit about install order of dependencies over the past 24 hours. I have a 64-bit OS and never knew that i needed to install the x86 files first and then the x64 on top of them. I think i was just fortunate over the years that I had most dependencies installed that allowed me to do what I wanted on my PC, buuut, it was probably my lack of knowledge in understanding repairing, modifying, and reinstalling my VC++ files that finally caught up to me. I simply deleted all that were installed to start with a clean slate and installed every one again in proper order and i'm all good now :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexis524 said:

I've learned quite a bit about install order of dependencies over the past 24 hours. I have a 64-bit OS and never knew that i needed to install the x86 files first and then the x64 on top of them. I think i was just fortunate over the years that I had most dependencies installed that allowed me to do what I wanted on my PC, buuut, it was probably my lack of knowledge in understanding repairing, modifying, and reinstalling my VC++ files that finally caught up to me. I simply deleted all that were installed to start with a clean slate and installed every one again in proper order and i'm all good now :)

Yeah, the weird thing about that though is that LaunchBox doesn't even use any VC++ libraries. So it must have been some kind of really odd side effect, I guess.